Should it have been a straight reboot?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Ssosmcin, Sep 7, 2009.

1. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

^ That's an interesting post you've made there. :)

I know that Henry Jenkins' name has come up here a couple of times previously (as has his yet-unseen foray as a Klingon) but I don't think I've seen the connection made to Transmedia Storytelling Theory before -- certainly not drawn in such detail, anyway.

2. Voyagerian

Voyagerian Commander Red Shirt

I made the same general view, as far as a 'what could they have done' suggestion at another site some months ago, and it would have made it a developing saga...but, studios like tidy formulaic things that make lots of cash, just stating the obvious, not anti-ST here....get the gang together, start the adventure....now, that would have made an intriguing miniseries, would it not have, going the gradual route....something never before done for the small Trek screen, unless one counts the Dominion War unfolding arc on DS...I saw it, liked it, as is...but I would have gone to see it that way, as well, of course. It certainly might have made for a far less controversial concept....and still you'd be letting non-Trekkers be 'educated' without needing to know it all. But, I'm okay with how it came out.

3. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

what does a straight reboot mean

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It means no slash. So.. not what we got.

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

That made me :lol: .

6. Disillusioned

Disillusioned Commander

Like what BSG did. So basically they would have started completely over with no attempt to connect the new show to the old one the way they did in this movie with the time travel element.

7. GhostFaceSaint

GhostFaceSaint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
    Nah, time travel is a classic theme in Trek, and the new cast needed the send-off from Nimoy's Spock; what they did was appropriate.:vulcan:

8. Disillusioned

Disillusioned Commander

If by "classic" you mean "cliched and over-used," then yes, that would be an accurate statement. ;)

9. Taranis

Taranis Lieutenant Red Shirt

I would have like a straight reboot .. I don't like this direction for the character or the Star Trek story .. it was a great disappointment.

10. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

ok if that is how you feel

11. urolles

urolles Lieutenant Red Shirt

^ Thanks a lot for the compliment... , when I saw your name on the post, before reading the comment, for a moment I was worried if I had already managed to violate forum protocol and was in for a reprimand by the board moderator, :) .

From my point of view, the filmĀ“s narrarational construction, even down to the level of single scenes and their specific functions, does render quite a few more examples for the implementation of various Transmedia Storytelling principles.

But such observations do lie of course, at least partly, in the eye of the beholder, and they would certainly seem to be better suited for another time and another thread.

12. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We reach. :techman:

I posted a similar synopsis covering key events leading up to WNMHGB many months back... I frankly wouldn't have minded Nimoy appearing somewhere in that kind of film series, teaching a class of Vulcan & Romulan kids about his history. In terms of a traditional prequel, that reverse narrative would only work as the final part of a trilogy... once audiences have already seen most of the crew's origins and are too invested in the characters, waiting for the final piece of the puzzle, not caring when it's revealed that Spock lives to a ripe old age.

By the closing chapter, there's even a "get out of jail" card to hand purists about the changed look of TOS... since the memory cheats even for a Vulcan. Or one diagnosed in an early stage of Bandai syndrome at any rate... So the point would be the story remained the same, just the finer details ended up exaggerated in Spock's mind.

Okay maybe it's a little Life On Mars, in that we're seeing a fantasy created in some guy's mind... but that didn't stop Ashes to Ashes continuing with those exact same characters in the past. Only with this you're blurring an established point in Star Trek's history and by adding a storyteller in the final movie, using Spock's fragile health to justify whatever changes are made. Or at least confusing the audience so much that they don't care and just accept it.

That end result is sort of where the writers hoped I'd be right now... only inventing some weird hybrid of time travel and alternate universe, in order to excuse how they just fancied altering almost everything... didn't quite achieve that.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009