Do we know yet what exactly got refit on the Enterprise at the end

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lord Garth FOI, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Lord Garth FOI

Lord Garth FOI Commander Red Shirt

Still haven't seen any updates regarding just what was refit aside from the impulse deck, tail fins and possibly bridge and upper decks cap (unless that is really only a forced perspective distortion)
    I haven't seen any thing else from the stills or reviewing nor to my knowledge has ilm released any pics or data
    Any scoops?

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The phaser banks were different, too - they looked flat with circular hatches presumably for the banks to pop up into place when needed.

As far as I know, no info has been released about any other changes made. I think they expect us to wait until 2016...

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Seems like a waste of money. Why have people spend additional man hours to change the ship model of there is no point to it?

4. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Because you know engineers, they love to change things. ;)

The ship was smashed and needed repair so why not update systems with the latest tech available. Research and Development never ceases.

5. JarodRussell

I was talking about the real world VFX. Why waste production budget on that?

6. DavidGutierrez

DavidGutierrez Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Marketing, man. :cool:

7. JarodRussell

How? Do they sell two different toys? Did anybody outside this forum actually notice the changes?

8. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same answer JarodRussell; "The ship was smashed and needed repair so why not update systems with the latest tech available." In universe it is called a refit.

While I do not necessarily approve of all the changes, especially to the Impulse deck, that they bothered to make some upgrades while the ship was in the shop adds a touch more realism than if they'd rolled out the same old design again.

Are we now going to flip out because they took the time and expense to throw anyone who cares about that sort of thing a bone?

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

How many Shatner/Nimoy movies carried the same ship over to the next film without changes?

10. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

None.

11. Kirks_Flying_Wig

Kirks_Flying_Wig Commander Red Shirt

I watched it with a Not A Fan who noticed the changes to the impulse engines.

12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I didn't notice any changes. I'm not so familiar with either version of the ship that I could tell - I've seen both twice, four years apart.

13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I actually miss the dual impulse deck. It reminded me of the TMP Enterprise.

14. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

I noticed. None of the other six people I saw the movie with did.

I liked that they did it, but part of me feels like it's a bit too soon.

15. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

It was such a small change. Kind of a, "huh," moment and not much more for me. Maybe it's the new type of impulse engine to be installed on a sister ship that's being built. Might as well put the newest stuff onto the Enterprise while you have the chance before it heads off to deep space.

At least the warp nacelles didn't change to red-orange.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Because they wanted to make some changes.

17. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

I still think it's funny how the one component on the ship that is hardly ever used is the most conspicuous component that got upgraded. I don't even think anyone making these movies knows what an impulse Engine is or even does. Last movie when the Kelvin had her warp drive knocked out, George uses the warp engines to ram the Narada even though we can still see the Kelvin's impulse engines still glowing.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yet whenever the Enterprise jumped to warp, the glow from the impulse engine faded first.

In the Kelvin's case, as far as I know, nothing suggests warp engines cannot be used for sub-light velocities.

19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The plasma vent glowed brighter, all of her systems were stabilised slightly, all that seems to have happened was that George ramped the reactor up to full pouring power into everything.

20. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

We've seen this done both ways. In TMP, it's pretty clear that the warp engine is powering the ship as is accelerates from full impulse to warp one. In TWOK through STID we usually see the jump from a near standstill to warp speed. Sure, in TMP they were taking it slow with the new engines, but again the gap between full impulse and warp one is owned by warp drive.