Nut-allergic child's mom demands oak trees be removed from schoolyard

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by scotpens, Nov 15, 2012.

1. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: Nut-allergic child's mom demands oak trees be removed from schooly

Lets just assume the child is actually allergic to the trees and the information in the story may not be 100% complete

2. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I'm allergic to Lion attacks.

Can someone please remove the Lion from the zoo next time I visit?

3. Bob Karo

Bob Karo Captain Captain

Doesn't really change anything, though. This kid is or is nearly a teenager. She should have learned how to avoid the things that will kill her by now. If this kid really can't attend this school with proper preventive medicine and an Epi-pen, just let them go to another campus. If none are practical, I'm sure they have some sort of in home teaching for disabled students who are unable to attend a school.

4. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Both of my nephews have nut allergies severe enough that they have to carry epi-pens wherever they go. One has reactions even when he's around nuts. One time at school, a kid in the previous lunch hour are a peanut butter sandwich in the same seat where Adam sat and he reacted. The school established a nut-free table (insert your own joke here) but they didn't eliminate nuts, or chop down trees. Sometimes if you have an allergy you deal with it, you don't make the world conform to your needs.

5. kythe

kythe Commander Red Shirt

My son's elementary school also has a nut-free table in the cafeteria, and I can understand the reasoning behind it. I'm not going to be the one making jokes about it. :) I assumed it was probably getting more common nowadays, due to the increase in severe peanut allergies.

I hope this woman doesn't get to chop down trees, because they aren't the same level of danger and I see trees as a precious resource. I know trees aren't an "endangered species" so to speak, but there are far fewer of them than there used to be due to housing and other expansion, as well as people using the wood. But why cut down more trees than what we need to?

6. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I doubt very much whether the council involved will start cutting down park trees because one woman is over-protective.

I don't understand why nut allergies are on the increase. Mind you I live in a family where allergy (aside from one sister who's allergic to all earrings except gold (good call that woman)) just doesn't exist. Is asthma allergy?

7. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ From what I understand the increase in nut allergies in children corresponds to the beginning of genetically modifying nuts, specifically peanuts in the early 1980s. I think this is more circumstantial evidence than anything else but I've never gone looking for studies on it. Either way, I think GMO foods are kind of scary.

8. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm glad the child and parent you mentioned went the sensible route I prefer.

This woman is a nut herself.

9. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

My understanding is that a rather simple explanation is a heightened response to non-threatening environmental substances due to less frequently encountered environmental pathogens in this age of hygeine and cleanliness.

So instead of being tuned to bacteria and that, the immune response becomes overactive to other allergens.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nut free primary schools are now the norm here. You don't have any nuts or peanut butter at all.

11. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

There was a local story here a few months ago where a kid brought a sandwich to school and it was confiscated. They thought it was peanut butter when it really was a peanut butter replacement. Apparently it's part of a policy to ban anything that they can't be sure about, so rather than take a risk, they confiscated his sandwich.

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Seems a tad draconian.

13. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

That seems a far more plausible explanation. Blaming everything on genetically modified foods is this decade's equivalent of blaming everything on atomic bomb tests back in the 1950s.

14. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I just want to point out that it's not always possible to avoid things you are allergic to. For example, someone allergic to trees might know not to go near them. But sit in a classroom that has had open windows, or next to someone who dries their clothes outside, and you can stil, react. I'm not saying ban everything, just that awareness can only go so far.

15. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm allergic to fools. Can someone please remove all politicians from this planet?
    :devil:

16. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

That's what comes of having idiotic "zero tolerance" policies. Zero tolerance is for authorities who don't want to be bothered with having to make judgments based on common sense.

17. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope the kid doens't share mom's attitude. I can just imagine how well it'll go over with her prospective employers when she demands that they pay for extensive landscaping around the workplace, and impose limits on what the other employees are allowed to bring in for lunch.

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Common sense what is this strange concept of which you speak. :P

19. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

If I remember correctly, the child wasn't directly near a tree the first time the allergy kicked in. She did well on her medications, and, to be frank, it's difficult to avoid trees in the Canadian province of Ontario. As the child does well on her medications there's no need for the family to move to the prairie provinces or above the tree line.

20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Above the tree line! That would be hell.

I knew some people who moved to French Island which is a flat wasteland to avoid allergies.