Marvel to make a Doctor Strange movie?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captaindemotion, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hot guys can always play younger. The makeup dept will help. ;)

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It takes all the fun out of the character if he has to wear a merkin on his top lip.

Strange won half his battles because all and sundry were afraid of the ferocious things living in his moustache.

Fuck Tom Cruise.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Viggo was rumoured (or at least on fans' wishlists) for Tony Stark at one time and also is supposed to have turned down the role Liam Neeson played in Batman Begins.

Given this and some of the comments he's made about how the LOTR series impacted on him, I have a feeling that he'd be reluctant to commit to another fantasy-type franchise. Which is a shame, because he'd be great in the role.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

He really doesn't seem the type to do them silly comic book movies.:vulcan:

5. Captaindemotion

I didn't say that.

He did after all appear in A History of Violence, which is based on a graphic novel, but it's not a superhero movie. But when Batman Begins was being cast, I remember the story was that he and Daniel Day-Lewis had turned down a role, which Neeson then accepted.

I kinda get the impression that since LOTR, he has wanted to concentrate on indie and non-mainstream movies for the most part. But I'd love for him to prove me wrong.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Nothing wrong with an actor doing indies if that makes him happy.

But plenty of famous and talent actors have taken roles in superhero movies. RDJ also made a huge comeback as an actor when he decided to play Iron Man.

7. Captaindemotion

^Absolutely. And others have turned such roles down (I earlier mentioned Daniel Day-Lewis and Mortensen himself for Batman Begins, Chris Cooper turned down the role of Gordon in that movie, Sean Penn is supposed to have been their first choice to play The Joker in its sequel).

I'm not claiming to have any particular insight into Mortensen's thinking - I just get the impression that he's not into this kind of movie. But like I say - I'll be quite happy if he proves me wrong and accepts this role.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Anyone know if Viggo is going to do The Hobbit?;)

9. Captaindemotion

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Aragorn's only about ten years old around the time of The Hobbit. They'd have to use some pretty fancy CGI if they want Viggo to reprise his role. ;)

11. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

14. Guy Gardener

There isn't a seminal Doctor Strange story to adapt, other than his origin, someone would mostly likely have to generate something new.

15. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

His origin, Dormammu, Clea-- that's the seminal part. Or maybe "Sise-Neg Genesis." Although that might be better for the sequel.

16. Captaindemotion

Great, that's all we Song of Ice and Fire fans want, George finding yet another reason to postpone finishing the next two books!

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

His comment about not wanting to hook up Dr. Strange with the larger Avengers-verse is a deal killer. Of course Marvel and Disney want it hooked up, it's the best PR imaginable and they are making huge box office from their intertwined series of movies that all publicize each other and put butts in seats. Nobody would be doing a movie about some random Manhattan wizard if he weren't already in the Marvel-verse.

Plus, the notion that Dr. Strange somehow doesn't fit in just shows he doesn't get the character either. if Thor fits, why wouldn't Dr. Strange? Magic is not a barrier to fitting into the Marvel-verse.

This reminds me of JMS attempting to write a Star Trek show and ending up with B5 in Starfleet uniforms. Some writers bring too much of their own baggage along to be able to adapt themselves well to other people's intellectual property.

If Martin is feeling ambitious, he should convince HBO to make a space opera series under his direction, but something original, or maybe a reboot of something that needs it. Imagine what that guy could do with Stargate.

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

More Haviland Tuf would be a better reason.

I'm still convinced that B5 was his "Birth of the Federation" idea and he just changed the names and tweaked the concept. It all maps to Trek too easily.

Haviland Tuf! That would be awesome. :mallory:

19. Guy Gardener

Doctor strange is part of the best cross over ever.

In the 60s the fantastic four went back to ancient Egypt to fight a time traveller.

In the early 80s Doctor Strange had parallel adventure through that same FF story to lay some shit to rest about his girlfriend.

In the late 80s the West Coast Avengers had a comedy of errors where they narrowly avoided bumping into Doctor Strange and the Fantastic Four in Ancient Egypt.

In the early 90ss, it turned out that the time traveller who the fantastic four had fought in the 60s was there in Ancient Egypt primarily to observe the origin of the X-men villain Apocalypse and recruit him... Things didn't go well.

That was nearly 20 years ago?

Has there been any further additions to the story I missed, or has Marvel editorial timelocked this story?