U.S.S. Yorktown

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by WinstonSmith, Sep 19, 2013.

1. WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So, over the last few weeks I've been working on a pre-TOS ship design based on one of Matt Jefferies' early designs for the Enterprise. Specifically, I've been looking at this one;
    [​IMG]

The concept of this was then to create a design that represents the same design language as TOS, but from a bit earlier in the timeline, and thus a bit rougher and simpler. (I also must admit to taking a bit of inspiration in form from Ryan Church's Enterprise, which might upset some people, but there are certain things I do admire about the design, and I think it does have some good angles)

[​IMG]
    I started with a 2d plan view, which I then translated into a 3d model using Sketchup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

Very nicely done and you added some intersting details. I like how you made the "bulb" at the forward end of the secondary hull into a deflector cowling :techman:

The upper and lower dome of the saucer remind me a lot of the USS Bozeman from TNG´s "Cause and Effect". In MJ´s sketch these are a lot more spherical, which I think would better fit into the whole design. But then again, it´s your baby of course ;)

Mario

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cool so far :)

4. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Wow, very cool. Looking forward to the progress on this.

5. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice! Love that you're using the APAS design for a docking ring. Although, if you want it to connect to another one correctly, you need to rotate it 60 degrees so that one petal is either on the left or right.

6. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nice work on the ship and i really like the elevation view on the title block very early Federation Reference Series Look to it
    keep up the great work. Looking forward to some more othographic views.

:techman::techman::techman::techman::techman:

7. WinstonSmith

Thanks guys!

B.J., thanks, I wanted to go for realism, but I must admit I don't really know the technical details ;) I'll have a look at changing that!

A beauty shot to keep you going;
    [​IMG]

8. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

None of the 3Ds in this thread so far really show off angles that expose the saucer's topside. The underside angles are very interesting. Have you considered taking the "nosecone effect" of the 2ndery hull's bow and also applying it to the tips of the nacelles? I think all three of those caps are going to need more color and texture treatments to make them more visually interesting and realistic-looking.

9. WinstonSmith

You're right! On that note, I did a bit more work on the saucer topside this afternoon, and started adding some proper textures.
    [​IMG]
    The cap textures are an interesting thing; for the nacelles I've tried to go for something reminiscent of the metalic 'cherry red' domes of the Enterprise pilot model. I do agree about the deflector cowl though, I'll likely alter the texture on that before the end.

10. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am continually amazed by the digital modelling talents of some many posters in this forum! Great Job, WinstonSmith!

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Keep the lighter color. Very good work.

12. WinstonSmith

Another shot, showing off the landing/cargo deck
    [​IMG]

13. SolitaryJustice

SolitaryJustice Lieutenant Red Shirt

Wow, you're doing that in SketchUp? Are you using Pro, or just the free basic version? This looks great, man!

14. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Interesting hangar deck concept... I like it!

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That is a good place for a shuttlebay. Where the shuttlebay normally is, you could put a warp-core ejection system--with anti matter bottles.

Folks may not like the deflector dome--but it makes sense. It looks a bit like the no-foul caps on sonars, or the Doppler On Wheels (DOW) trucks used for stormchasing.

16. WinstonSmith

Thanks guys! :) SolitaryJustice, yes, I'm just using the free version, though I also have quite a few plugins which help (they're free too, which is also nice! If you're interested I highly recommend fredo6's plugins).

anyway, some more shots of the model, sans backgrounds this time. I'm feeling pretty happy with this as it is, perhaps just a few textures and maybe a landing deck interior to add, if I get around to it. feel free to point out any glaring errors, though!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and because I can't leave well enough alone, I started work on another ship, this time from the generation before Yorktown, the USS Odyssey

[​IMG]
    Plan view with some other ships

[​IMG]
    basic shapes

[​IMG]
    working up the nacelles

[​IMG]
    testing some panelling ideas

[​IMG]
    trying to add some more 'realistic' panelling and rougher details, suggesting this is a bit more of a 'tin can' than the later ships

more to come!

17. David.Blue

David.Blue Commander Red Shirt

Very cool!

18. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What are your plans for the deflector cover?
    Take a look at the newer types of radomes. Their patterns might give you a few ideas.

19. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks good! Interesting idea with the nacelle spires - I don't think I've seen anyone put them off-center before. Definitely unique!

20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I agree--I like that look. You may consider a Diane Carey refit era Dreadnaught with a cluster of those spikes on the tail of the nacelle...