TNG re-released on DVD

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by heavy lids, Feb 20, 2013.

1. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

So these are the exact same DVDs that were previously released? Not like a standard definition version of TNG-R?

3. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

Looks like it:

4. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Obvious attempt to unload unwanted inventory.

5. DJ Mike

DJ Mike Ensign Red Shirt

A crying shame - even in DVD format the remastered episodes would look leaps and bounds ahead of the original releases.

6. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How odd. There cannot be a big market for these now.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That packaging is fugly.

8. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Really, I think the packaging is neat. Nice to see them try something different like this instead of the same old run of the mill stuff.

9. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yeah. It's a bit puzzling why they wouldn't just release the remastered edition in DVD format.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Odd timing, considering the second-hand market is likely to be soon flooded with used DVDs.

11. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Really? I think this must be the most beautiful package design for a Trek DVD set ever. I think it looks great. Actually, I would love those as tees or art prints.

Why they're just re-releasign the SD discs is beyond me, though.

12. Trekker4747

I agree the packaging isn't very attractive. And why aren't they being released in some-kind-of chain of command order?!

13. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While it wouldn't be cheap to author new discs, I do find that strange after Remastered TOS and with the first three TNG seasons (at least) now in superior quality, even when downscaled.

I already traded the original 2002 DVD sets up for that 20th Anniversary complete pack a while ago. Surprising I still own that actually, given how rubbish the lurid green plastic packaging was and with the Blu ray almost halfway released. Hopefully the 49th disc exclusive content will be transferred across, when the appropriate seasons in HD come up.

Not really interested in another repackage for the DVDs myself. But the silhouette design on those new ones are rather lovely and somewhat iconic. When I think back to the days of VHS, re-releases are practically inevitable. I must've seen the same Star Treks come around again after 7 years or so. It's probably the last gasp of standard definition.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  14. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Not everyone is interested in new technology and/or don't wish to commit funds to it - that's a totally understandable position, and I accept it completely.

But I must say, nowadays, you can pick up a basic Blu-ray player for a comparatively small investment. Superstores (Tesco, ASDA etc.) in the UK are selling decks for as little as £30.00 currently.

You can connect BD players to older standard definition CRT and/or flat panel televisions if you wish (setting output resolution appropriately) - and STILL benefit from visibly superior picture quality.

BD players are totally backwards compatible with your old DVD collection as well. When you weigh it up, I think investing in a BD player makes sense.

15. Trekker4747

I don't. Why be so resistant to new technology and formats? I mean, there's not that many people grumbling about movies not being on VHS anymore, are there? As you say a new BD player can be picked up pretty cheap and there's no drawback to buy a BD player.

I was talking to a friend recently and she was interested in one of the extras on the Star Trek BD (the cast reunion) and wanted to know if it was available on DVD. I told her no, just the BD. She said she was reluctant to adopt Blu-Ray since she didn't want to rebuy her collection. I assured her the DVDs would work in her BD player and she seemed shocked by this idea.

I wonder how many more people out there are like that, that they honestly don't know BluRay players can play DVDs too?

16. jimbotron

I think it's paradoxical to be hesitant to new technology and be a Star Trek fan at the same time. ;)

17. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

Seems kinda pricey for a re-release of the old DVD sets with just new packaging, especially considering how easy it is to find the old DVD's secondhand.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Especially since a decent Blu-Ray player can be had for less than a hundred bucks.

Anyone who can afford to buy these DVDs can afford a Blu-Ray player, amirite?

19. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm not hesitant to new technology, I'm just not interested in having the "best" quality of entertainment, always. I don't enjoy remastered TOS on blu-ray any more than I enjoy TOS on VHS.

If I had free money laying around, then I'd probably buy a blu-ray player. But, I don't.

20. jimbotron

The packaging is pretty sloppy. The image of Troi is clearly from the pilot. Picard, Crusher, and Data are from season 1 while Riker, Worf and LaForge are from later seasons and are the only ones with collars.