BLSSDWLF's TOS Enterprise WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by blssdwlf, Apr 24, 2010.

1. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A few more updates...

Added shuttlebay exterior doors and minor textures. On the starboard side, the "The Conscience of the King" observation deck variation 1 will be at the ribbed frame area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I definitely love these CGI recreations but wonder about the observation corridor. If these windows would just end on the floor - as suggested - what would be the use of the extra bulk below the floor that is visible in the original VFX shots?

Bob

3. blssdwlf

@Bob - I'm not sure which windows are you referring to? The two pairs of windows overlooking the flight deck?

4. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I like the ribbed area you have back there... Ties it forward with the TMP ship.

--Alex

5. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Bob is referring to the pairs of windows which we see during each takeoff/landing FX shot. To save a long winded explanation, try this:

[​IMG]

6. blssdwlf

Ohh... Hmm. I think my previous render gave the wrong impression. Here is a more zoomed out view of the corridor. The windows are about the same size as the ones seen in "The Conscience of the King" and doesn't reach the floor. The corridor has all the same elements, the horizontal stringers and window ledge from the "TCOTK" room at the same heights for reference.

edit: Please note that I haven't put in any bulkheads in that corridor where the supports would go :)

[​IMG]

7. blssdwlf

Thanks :) I really liked Probert's design there and wanted to echo that. I'm making basically two variations of the "TCOTK" Observation deck. That ribbed section will look different depending on which variation is used.

[​IMG]

8. Mytran

Aha, I see what you did now. The overall length of the shuttlebay is looking quite resplendent now. I hadn't quite connected the dots about the style of ribbing with TMP, but it adds a nice touch of continuity without being heavy handed.

As regards the new observation space at the back of the corridor, I wonder what would be best placed there - perhaps (as it's a 22' shuttle on the turntable) it would be a suitable storage space for a 30' shuttle? (one that would match the shuttlecraft interior set)

9. blssdwlf

Thanks Mytran :)

I think that space would make sense for larger shuttles or spacecraft too big to fit down the turntable/elevator. I've been experimenting with the two possible orientations of the TCOTK observation deck and I'm going to settle on incorporating both into the same ship. It'll give it an asymmetric look, but I think it adds a bit of character :D I'll post up a WIP tonight.

10. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm... Why not go for the even greater asymmetry of only having such a feature on one side?

When Jim and Lenore arrive at this facility, they do so from the direction of the "anteroom". How does one reach this catwalk level if the "anteroom" is facing aft? The characters would have to have arrived along a corridor already featuring a view, but Lenore "still" appears surprised by said view when going for the inward windows. Lenore would probably also have to have walked on the flight deck itself in order to reach the "arrival corridor", further spoiling the surprise!

Also, "anteroom forward" gives more lateral space around that fancy grille, and the design could certainly use the room - why block a narrow path with the thing?

Eliminating the "incorrectly" facing starboard facility would leave room for something potentially more interesting, something that this facility helps monitor. Say, a really long rectangular elevator extending all the way from the starboard outer hull to beneath this observation area, for moving those larger shuttles (and for echoing the similarly placed TMP shuttlecraft elevators).

Timo Saloniemi

lawman likes this.
  11. Albertese

Timo may be on to something...

--Alex

12. Mytran

The starboard configuration does look neater, but I can't help thinking of the difficulties that Timo mentioned about having a tour through a room that you have to walk through twice to be surprised by it again the second time! So I'm going to have to put my flag of preference in the portside observation deck, I think.

Asymetrical arrangements have their attractions though, and a precursor to the TMP elevator would be nice, it could double as a cargo elevator too...

13. blssdwlf

@Timo - that's a pretty interesting idea!

@All - Yeah, it was getting complex explaining the starboard path as well. I'll give something like that a try.

14. blssdwlf

Still working on the elevator bit. In the mean time, a quick render with MGagen's published color swatches from Gary Kerr :)

[​IMG]

15. Robert Comsol

:eek: oops...I think I just fainted or had a stroke. Marvellous, beautiful, fascinating!!! Somebody call CBS Digital and tell them we have the artist who can really make sure that we get a really great and new TOS-R version. :techman:

I guess we still don't have an accurate clue what the text on the white shuttlebay signs shall be?

Suggestion: I already contacted the gentleman at www.startrekman.us who seems to may have the answer what the actual text might be, but I never received a reply. However, if you were to forward him your excellent CGI recreation, he might feel inclined to share this information with us as he can clearly see that this is a work of love and passion. Just an idea. ;)

Could it be that the actual ceiling beams are a little stronger than these appear in your CGI recreation? I also see that the "aztec" pattern on these beams is currently missing, but I presume this will show up in the final version?

Bob

16. blssdwlf

@Bob - Thanks :) As to the strength (or size) of the beams I haven't built the structure out too much beyond what has been seen. The "aztec" pattern is more "striped" to me and you can see in earlier wireframes where I've laid the groundwork to put that in as I continue to texture it.

I'm right now playing with the starboard side area to put in an elevator to see how that looks and fits.

Edit: As to the decals, from the screenshots, only one is visible and that is the one at the refueling station. I'm sure there are others as I've seen some on the backstage pics, but since they were not visible or noticeable in the aired episodes they're not going to be high priority for me to place in.

17. MGagen

MGagen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Alas, that person was Richard Datin, the gentleman who built the Hangar miniature. Sadly, he has passed away.

M.

18. Robert Comsol

I wasn't sure this had actually been Mr. Datin's own website and it is sad, that he is no longer among us. :(

Considering the wealth of material he had (his website shows essentially the tip of what I believe to be an iceberg), I can't help but wonder if anybody has contacted his relatives. It would be a shame if his precious materials were to end up in a garbage can.

Bob

19. blssdwlf

I hope someone has preserved that web site. With Mr. Datin's passing in 2011 I wonder who is maintaining or paying for that site?

Here is the current thinking regarding the starboard side elevator. I've placed the "Journey to Babel" and "The Immunity Syndrome" corridor there as well.

[​IMG]

20. Albertese

Just stunning.

I have to say, this take on the hangar deck is fundamentally altering my take on the space. I think we may be edging up to a definitive structure, at least in my personal canon.

How does all this fit it with the reactor complex stuff you made before?

Great work!

--Alex