So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, TKJ doesn't serve Barbara well, although her later emergence as Oracle did a lot to redeem that. (Unfortunately that's now been retconned away and she's Batgirl again.)

I guess one way of looking at it is that it shows how brutal and nihilistic the Joker is, that he could take this strong, dynamic character and treat her like a mere object. That's pretty much how he treats everyone, just as fodder for his "jokes."

2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished reading the first novels in the Startrek Invasion miniseries First Strike,&The soldeiers of Fear. I'm reading Forgotten History right now.:techman:

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Finished Batman: The Killing Joke, and I still stand by what I wrote before.

4. Violet.Phoenix

Violet.Phoenix Commander Red Shirt

The Soldiers of Fear is one of my favourite TNG Trek novels. It's such a gripping read; I've read it twice and still want to keep re-reading it. Have you read the DS9 or VOY Invasion novels yet?

5. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished: John Grisham's Theodore Boone The Abduction.

Currently reading: The Romulan War: To Brave the Storm by Michael A. Martin, Lying by Sam Harris and The Venging by Greg Bear

6. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes I've read them.Time's enemy is one of my all time favorite ds9 books.I've also read the invasion Voyager novel a long time ago. I decided awhile back to go back and read some of the older Startrek miniseries novels .I haven't read in a long time including the Captain's table miniseries.

7. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

I am currently re-reading "The Good That Men Do." I plan to read the rest of my ST collection. (Still have SEVERAL unread books around.)

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Debating between Ice Hunt or Deep Fathom, both by James Rollins. Not sure which one to read first.

9. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just recently read NF: Books 1 - 4 (omnibus e-book) by Peter David and have now very appropriately read "End Game" (Bk. 4). Got "Forgotten History" by CLB and may read it very soon. Still reading "City of God" by Augustine and "Crime and Punishment" by Dostoyevsky. My next ST may be an older TOS (such as "Deep Domain" I guess by Weinstein) or perhaps some of the new releases or perhaps NF: 5 "Martyr" or maybe even begin the SCE books. There is much to choose from.

10. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I recently read the Harry Potter series, Star Trek: A Rock and a Hard Place, and Star Trek: DTI: Forgotten History.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Wars The Essential Guide to Warfare by Jason Fry and Paul Urguhart.

12. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Over the last week or two read A Clash of Kings (GRRM), Carte Blanche (Deaver) and a Dr Who NSA - not sure what to read next... Possibly some nonfiction...

13. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

continuing my 24th century chronological reading. Since my last post, i have plowed through The Forgotten War, Q-in-Law, Fortune's Light, The Eyes of the Beholders and Boogeymen. About to start Federation.

14. CaptKirk

CaptKirk Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I am about half way through "That Which Divides" and thoroughly enjoying it.

15. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Was that your first time through Carte Blanche? What did you think?

Apparently it wasn't a commercial success, as the Fleming estate has hired a different writer to pen the next Bond book, which will apparently be in continuity with the original Fleming books, taking place in the late '60's. Bummer. I loved Deaver's take, and the "Steel Cartridge" threads will now never get resolution. Bummer. Oh, I guess I already said that.

16. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Hm, not bad, with Deaver giving us plenty of twists and reversals, but the characterisation wasn't up to his usual standard (presumably because it's not his character) and the action scenes were very flat. Didn't really feel either like Bond or like a Deaver thriller (and he's one of my favourite thriller writers). And yet it was reasonably decent in its own right.

17. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

I just finished The Coffee Trader by David Liss. Another fun business/historical thriller, though not quite as complex as A Conspiracy of Paper. Next I'll be finishing The Early Asimov or starting Casualties: A Novel of the Civil War by David Rothstein. It's about a Union soldier who becomes a leader while imprisoned, and his wife Laura who makes her way cross-country in the midst of the war in hopes of freeing him.

18. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

Just finished reading Peter David's The Rift, a novel I'd been intrigued in reading for some years and I was glad to finally get my hands on. Unfortunately, the novel didn't live up to its hype and definitely wasn't one of David's best works. A good solid read, but nothing that reached out and grabbed me. :(

I've also had to abandon my read of Sword of Damocles. While I enjoyed it slightly more than last time, I just can't summon up the energy to finish it. Anyway, on to Christopher Bennett's Greater than the Sum. :D

19. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Dammit, it was a busy month! I had stuff that pretty much took up most of EVERY SATURDAY this month. And supporting/associated activities took up another half-dozen evenings. That, plus work and workouts really cut into the book-reading time. I only finished 2 (yes, TWO) books this month. Gym listening was confined to 7 more James Bond novels.

At least I leave Friday for my annual two weeks in Sint Maarten; two weeks of glorious beach reading. The iPad and Nook are primed and ready.

What I did finish this month:
    04/05/2012 Diamonds Are Forever (audiobook) by Ian Fleming
    04/07/2012 Making Rumours: The Inside Story of the Classic Fleetwood Mac Album by Ken Caillat with Steven Stiefel
    04/11/2012 From Russia, With Love (audiobook) by Ian Fleming
    04/15/2012 Doctor No (audiobook) by Ian Fleming
    04/21/2012 Goldfinger (audiobook) by Ian Fleming
    04/25/2012 Thunderball (audiobook) by Ian Fleming
    04/28/2012 The Spy Who Loved Me (audiobook) by Ian Fleming
    04/29/2012 Hide Me Among the Graves by Tim Powers
    04/30/2012 On Her Majesty’s Secret Service (audiobook) by Ian Fleming

That's 7 Ian Fleming James Bond audiobooks, a memoir on the making of Fleetwood Mac's classic album Rumours by its co-producer, and Tim Powers's long-awaited new novel.

First, the Bonds. Well, they're nice and short. And deeply sexist, racist, and just about every other -ist you can think of. Fleming states at least twice in 3 books that women long to be raped. I'm not entirely sure that's true. No, wait, I'm sure that's complete and utter bullshit. Unless "rape" meant something entirely different a half-century or so ago. Nope, it was the same thing. Nobody would unironically write those words today, except to paint a character as a complete piece of shit. Progress!

Ken Caillat's Fleetwood Mac memoir was an interesting read. I might have included more about how particular sounds were achieved, and less about Lindsey Buckingham choking his girlfriends, but that's just me. It did send me back to the FM catalog. For an album I pretty much despised when it was new (mostly because you couldn't turn on KFXD back in those days without hearing a Fleetwood Mac song) I've discovered that Rumours, it's predecessor (Fleetwood Mac) and, especially, it's successor (Tusk) are truly amazing records. Hopefully Caillat will write a sequel about recording Tusk. There must be some great stories there -- certainly Lindsey must've had new girlfriends to abuse.

What to say about Hide Me Among the Graves..? It's beautifully written, with Victorian atmosphere dripping from every pore, but it never really engaged me. Tim has now covered the bulk of the 19th century in London, between The Anubis Gates, The Stress of Her Regard, A Time to Cast Away Stones, and Hide Me Among the Graves. Maybe there's just not that much left to surprise me with. Maybe it's because the Pre-Raphaelites mean absolutely NOTHING to me. Maybe it's because I read the first three of those four books over the last couple months, and the new one doesn't come close to matching the gonzo-manic intensity of The Anubis Gates. Which, lest we forget, is one of the books that defined "Steampunk" as a genre. (Of course, NOTHING matches Anubis Gates except possibly Declare. Or Last Call.)

Or maybe it was just because I was hoping Tim would take the opportunity to weave William Ashbless into the narrative, thus turning it into another accidental series, like Last Call/Expiration Date/Earthquake Weather.

It seems strange saying that a book that includes
    Queen Boadicea and John Polidori as Nephilim/Vampires, a reformed whore who had the misfortune of having one of a Vampire's "family" among her clients, a veterinarian aided by an army of the ghosts of his dead charges (cat ghosts and horse ghosts, for example) and the Vampire's "family" including the four Rossetti siblings, all inhabiting a milieu where there are skull-shaped caverns under the streets of London inhabited by the aforementioned Vampires...
    well, to call all that "not weird enough" seems churlish. Nevertheless, that was my reaction upon finishing the book last night. Compared to Powers earlier output, this was practically mainstream. **SIGH!** Maybe that will be good for sales.

Not sure what I'll be reading in May, apart from several books partially finished. Likely to be first up are:
    Star Trek: That Which Divides by Dayton Ward
    Through the Valley of the Nest of Spiders by Samuel R. Delany
    The Alton Gift by Marion Zimmer Bradley & Deborah J. Ross
    Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations: Watching the Clock by Christopher Bennett
    Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations: Forgotten History by Christopher Bennett

Delany's new one is quite good, once you get past the coprophagy. I downloaded the ebook from B&N, then learned that the publisher had inadvertently left out an entire chapter. D'OH! With the help of an errata page and a .pdf of the missing chapter from Delany's agent (and an etext unencumbered by DRM) I was able to "correct" my copy in Sigil. Someone wagged that my ebook wasn't "Mint" any more. BFD. I'd rather have it correct.

20. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just posted my review of Christopher L. Bennett's Department of Temporal Investigations: Forgotten History. Excellent story, and hopefully there will be more DTI sometime in the future, when the time is right. Right now, I'm reading Please Look After Mom by Kyung-Sook Shin and Star Trek #22: Shadow Lord by Laurence Yep.