Star Trek: TITAN: Animated Series

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Geoff Thorne, May 28, 2009.

1. Geoff Thorne

Geoff Thorne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Of course it's okay with me. I'm a fan of you guys. That's why I'm doing this.

I thought of TAKING AND WING and THE RED KING as really one massive book (like LORD OF THE RINGS) so that's why I combined them.

However, if you like, when I gear up to do Swallow's book, I'll add in a RED KING wallpaper at that time.

2. RikerLover

RikerLover Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Geoff, are you planning on doing a sketch of the newest and youngest member of Titan's crew?

3. Geoff Thorne

yes, indeed.

4. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Who is that first sketch in this thread supposed to be? I can't place it.

5. Andy Mangels

Andy Mangels Writer Red Shirt

First one is Modan

And yes, I want a Red King wallpaper! ;>

6. Osquevel

Osquevel Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Absolutely amazing, Geoff and Nerys! I'm blown away. Ree reminds me a bit of Zorak from Space Ghost, so I almost laughed when I saw him. Definitely looking forward to more of these!

7. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

The left hand looks pretty good. I have had trouble with hands also. It can be hard to get the thumbs to look like they're attached in the right spot. On that left hand, even though the thumb is the right length, and the knuckle is in the right spot, it almost looks like its attached at the same point as the fingers.
    I think the negative space between the index and thumb would go a few inches further "up". The thumb bone itself would be attaching right around where the stripe is on the uniform sleeve.

Nice shading work, and real personality in the face.:bolian:

8. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

These are amazing, Geoff, really beautifully done! I haven't actually read Titan yet outside of the Destiny books, but these illustrations have definitely sparked more interest. I'd love to see this actually somehow make it into a real live (so to speak) tv show!

Any chance you could do some Destiny characters (esp. the Palais and Aventine characters) after Vanguard and SFA? :D

9. Geoff Thorne

I'm not against it but it'll be a long wait. Blame VANGUARD.

10. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Fantastic work. Thanks so much for sharing!

11. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

I think we miss out on some really nifty design possibilites when non-humanoids don't wear uniforms. Humans and countless humanoids don't really need to wear them either but we do - why not non-humanoids? An argument is that some, like (to use an example from your books) the Pak'shree or Horta, are so robust they really don't need them. But I say that's humanoid-centric: so they're stronger than us but why should we be the measure of all things? Plus, uniforms are also a matter of identification, modesty (though that varies species-to-species), and esthetics (ditto).

It'd be cool to see a uniform tailored to various forms, or made of different materials. The Pak'shree have a part of their exoskelleton painted to show their division, but how about a hard shell uniform that covers more of them? When they warred with each other, they may have developed protective armors to better their chances on the battlefield. And maybe textiles or elaborate whole-body paintjobs (in lieu of textile fashions) arose from that. A Horta, even as it's heat-burrowing through solid rock, may have some non-harmful molecularly-bonded pigment that identifies its rank and division, maybe a special unobtainium-cased combadge as well.

I'm loving this thread, Geoff. Love seeing!!! all these great characters and designs - yours too Nerys! I always look forward to the Titan book covers to get a glimpse of these marvelous characters we can only imagine.

If I could make a two changes to Orilly's uniform though I'd give his "arms" sleeves, and change the pattern of where the blue is...the way it is now it reminds me of human on all fours rather than a being in its natural state.

Ogrebear likes this.
  12. Geoff Thorne

[​IMG]

Torvig

Ogrebear likes this.
  13. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Your best yet! :techman:

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

True, but seeing as how Orilly is covered in pangolin-like armor plates, it's not like a layer of cloth is going to provide any real protection. Plus, how do you dress a walking pinecone? I can imagine the fabric constantly getting caught between the plates as she moves and either getting torn or impeding her movement.
    [​IMG]

Maybe something loose could work, something like a horse blanket draped over her back and fastened around the front. But it might make more sense just to give her a sort of harness for carrying her equipment and combadge.

(Oh, and she's supposed to be honey-brown in color, not blue.)

Interesting. A pretty radical departure from how I envisioned it:
    [​IMG]

Goes to show how differently the same description can be interpreted by different people.

I like the use of uniform colors on his torso plating, though. I can see that working well with my design too.

Just to complete the trifecta, here's K'chak'!'op:
    [​IMG]

I'm curious to see how Geoff interprets her. I can't recall if I ever mentioned what her coloration is. I think she's supposed to be red or reddish-brown, like a crab.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cute ^_^

16. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

There is seriously a cyborg kangaroo in these books?

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, and he's a really interesting character. Although obviously he's not actually a Kangaroo, his species is called Choblik and they were modified ages ago by an unknown alien race.

18. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I'd be kind of scared of K'Chak'!'Op.
    Do you have any more pics of the Titan characters, Christopher?

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, as you can see in my drawing, the intent was for Torvig to be built kind of like a cross between a deer and an ostrich, albeit with a long, prehensile tail. Geoff's interpreted him as being somewhat more upright than I had in mind, but maybe he's rearing up for some reason.

No, just of the three I created. I've contemplated trying my hand at drawing Dr. Cethente (who has a prominent scene or two in Over a Torrent Sea), but I haven't gotten around to it. I haven't really done any art in a while.

20. Geoff Thorne

I would assume Torvig's cybernetics would adapt him into a more upright position to accommodate duties on a vessel that was not designed for Choblik use but for fairly large humanoids.

None of this stuff is hard and fast, guys.

Torvig looks "right" both ways.