Godzilla 2014: Rumors, Pix and filming

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gojira, Mar 3, 2013.

1. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Trust me, it's better than the quality of some prints I've seen over the years (missing frames, scratched, panned-and-scanned).

But you're welcome :).

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Hi, I'm Christopher's translator. What he meant to say above is:

"Thank you for finding the film for me. Any minor complaints I have about the quality of the presentation are secondary to the fact that you actually made the effort to look for it on my behalf, so I won't even mention them in lieu of just expressing my appreciation for the favor."

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, of course I appreciate that lurok helped me find the film, and of course my complaints were directed at the site, not at anyone here. Sorry. I'm analytical by nature, and sometimes my analytical comments can unintentionally come off as judgmental.

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack is awesome.

If new to the series don't watch any with baby Godzilla.... the horror!

5. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    One day, there's gonna be a crossover with Minya and Scrappy Doo. Then you will learn the meaning of horror.

6. lurok

No harm :). Pleased I was able to find a copy (quality notwithstanding) and you were able to see it. :techman:

7. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I love Godzilla VS King Ghidrah, it's a great, wild action/adventure movie. Godzilla's new size created set problems but in the end it's a good rebooting after the events in Biolllante.

8. Christopher

As a rule, yes, but I'd make an exception for G vs. Mechagodzilla II, as well as G vs. Destoroyah, in which "Baby" has grown up into a "teenager" called Godzilla Junior.

But yes, most of the films featuring versions of the "Son of Godzilla" are pretty bad, particularly All Monsters Attack (a misleadingly named film that's really just a full-length dream sequence) and G vs. SpaceGodzilla (which falls between Mechagodzilla II and Destoroyah in continuity, but portrays its "Little Godzilla" in a far more cutesy and infantilized way than even Minya at his worst, and is just a horrible, horrible movie all around). And while Final Wars has some aspects that are fun for their sheer insanity, the parts involving Minya are simply dreadful, and until the final scene they seem to be tacked on from an unrelated movie.

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

A fun movie.

I think the one with Biollante was rather decent in parts.

When that thing first moved, it was a little un-nerving, the largest of the kaiju, and a plant. I was fully expecting it to stay in place.

It was rather like that moving creature wall we saw from Carpenter's In The Mouth Of Madness

10. Christopher

I found Biollante underwhelming, largely because the title creature didn't really contribute anything meaningful to the plot. You could've left it out entirely and the story would've unfolded pretty much the same way. Here's my blog review.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

12. Christopher

I checked, and it turns out that Metacafe also has the 1984 Gojira, aka The Return of Godzilla, which is the only Godzilla film that hasn't had a proper DVD release in the US, so I've never been able to see it until now. They have it in Japanese with subtitles, fortunately, since the American version Godzilla 1985 is heavily edited and altered (to make the US characters more heroic and the Soviets more evil, among other changes such as the addition of Raymond Burr for the second time). So it finally let me complete my reviews of the Heisei series:

http://christopherlbennett.wordpres...1984-show-thoughts-on-the-return-of-godzilla/

So as of now, my Godzilla viewing in recent years includes the first six Showa films plus Destroy all Monsters and Terror of Mechagodzilla, plus the entire Heisei and Millennium series. That leaves seven Showa films, but I don't feel all that eager to see G vs. the Sea Monster, Son of Godzilla, or All Monsters Attack. Now, if I wanted to, I could get the original Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla and the MST3K version of Godzilla vs. Megalon on DVD from Netflix, but they don't have Hedorah or Gigan. I'm tempted to try to get those in before the new movie comes out.

13. lurok

Seconded. I liked its...weirdness.

14. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

16. Christopher

Neat review, and pretty insightful -- except I felt it was unfairly harsh toward Dr. Serizawa. Likening him to Dr. Strangelove is bizarre, since he was arguably the moral center of the whole film.

That 60th-anniversary restoration sounds intriguing. I'm tempted to go see it in the theater, but the nearest theatrical showing on the list is 90 miles away. Well, I'm sure it'll have a video release. I'm hoping the new Godzilla will be successful enough to spawn a good Region 1 DVD set of all the movies in their uncut, Japanese-language forms.

17. Captain_Amasov

A new TV spot with actual new footage, I thought we were done:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9hJxEG-etE[/yt]

18. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd hadn't really thought that Aaron Taylor Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen are both in this.

So from that trailer it looks like they're playing a couple, and then next year in Avengers: Age of Ultron they'll be brother and sister.
    Awkward ;)

19. Captain_Amasov

Maybe they'll inject a little Ultimate Avengers into it! :p

20. Captain_Amasov