Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

No glasses!:mad:

2. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For all we know his glasses got knocked off in the scene right before this.

3. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

Or he doesn't actually put them on until film is rolling.

4. wonderstoat

wonderstoat Lieutenant Red Shirt

This ^

It's amazing, isn't it, how many people drop into this thread thinking that every shot is from the final film. I mean, why would an actor take off a 20lb cape to get his make up retouched!!! HE OBVIOUSLY ISN'T RIGHT FOR THE PART/THEY ARE RAPING MY CHILDHOOD etc etc.

I wonder could the mods impose a simple algebra equation or something which you would have to solve before posting? :vulcan:

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Or maybe he doesn't want to wear them while cycling, in case they fall off and get broken.

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe it's from before he becomes Superman - because otherwise, why would he be wearing glasses anyway?

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ That's right. Young Clark in Superman The Movie didn't wear glasses either and somehow, the cinema world of 1978 didn't crash to a stop.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the comics abandoned "young Clark in glasses" with the Byrne reboot.

I really liked the idea of Clark as a high school hero type. One thing I'm happy about with the current comic book reboot (so far) is that it suggests ol' Superboy/Clark is gone again and that he and Luthor don't know one another before he becomes Superman.

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Whoa, is this yet another "origin story"? I hoped this might be a full on Superman movie, no bullshit. Everybody and his dog knows Superman's origin story.

I liked what they did in Superman Returns: Clark actually needed glasses before his body reacted to the effects of the yellow sun.

10. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think you know damn well, this is.

11. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I've seen the movie a few times and I don't remember that. The only thing I saw was a young Clark (with powers) wearing glasses.

12. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If Spider-Man can get two origin movies in a decade, I think Superman can get two in thirty-plus years.

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

When was the last Superman 'origin' movie?

14. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

JarrodRussell acting ignorant to knowledge that has been known for at least a year now for the seemingly purpose to complain? That doesn't sound like him at all.

It was one of the key elements of the film. In the flashback, Clark could jump long distances (so he had some powers), but still needed glasses. He then jumped too far and fell through the roof of the barn, saving himself by floating/flying for the first time. It is also at this time that he discovered he didn't need the glasses anymore, and it was suggested he could see in 20/20 vision when he couldn't before.

This is later paralleled with Jason in that he has asthma throughout the film, but the moment he tosses the piano (which is implied to be for the first time), he is shown to breath easily and doesn't need the inhaler anymore.

15. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Perhaps it's part of the Clark Kent persona. Why does Clark need them, but Superman doesn't? :lol: Also, I doubt a Kryptonian on Earth, or under any yellow sun, needs glasses as such or even ever gets ill unless s/he is exposed to Kryptonite.

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oi...the constant nitpicking from certain people in this thread is just plain silly. We're seeing out of context set photos people, not to mention frustrating when some of us want to have actual discussion about the film instead of branching out into tangents about hair, glasses, underoos, and generally unimportant things like that.

Clark on a bike. Hmm. He'd fit right in Vancouver :)

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's because it's the quintessential Superman story. I know that I'm going to hear about the wise men and the manger every Christmas, too.

18. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

How so? In the Animated Series, he had all of the usual powers.

19. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, but they were not as "powerful" as they have been depicted in the past.

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well to be fair, there's not really much to talk about at the moment EXCEPT minor things like hair, glasses, the costume, etc.