Halo: Reach

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SPCTRE, Sep 9, 2010.

1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

A statue baby! :lol

2. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just got my copy. :D

3. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

You'll be lucky to get $5 off the MSRP used six months from now.

4. firehawk12

You never know. With the Legendary edition, if MS went crazy and made too many of those you could end up with the hilarious situation of retailers clearing that out for half the price of the main game.

I just found out it includes a commentary for the game... which is something I would have wanted. But not enough to want to pay 100 dollars extra for it.

5. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ You do raise a good point about the Legendary Editions. As anecdotal, single-case only example, I did see a whole bunch in a local Best Buy yesterday still. Of course, we still have the holiday season to get through, and I thought I had read somewhere that the plan had been to make far less of these than the Halo 3 Legendary Edition.

6. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

I remember when Halo 3 came out, I purchased the Limited Edition. A year later I picked up a Legendary Edition for like 40 bucks :lol:

Anyways, this thread convinced me to go pick up Reach yesterday. It's definitely a big improvement over Halo 2 and 3. I remember being pretty dissapointed with both of those games. The level design in 2 sucked and 3 felt and looked way too much like 2.

Reach on the other hand has a similar, yet different feel to it. It also feels much more refined. I'll also admit that I caved in and picked up the Legendary Edition. It was the last one left at Best Buy and they were giving away a twenty dollar gift card so I felt like I had no choice :borg: On top of that, Microsoft was selling Live for 30 bucks so it's like the man upstairs was telling me to go buy it :lol:

That's not exactly true. ODST dropped in price pretty quick, hitting the 40 to 50 dollar mark not too long after launch. Right now (a year later) ODST sits at 30 bucks at most retailers. Often times with these big games, everyone buys them right away so the price does tend to drop.

7. firehawk12

I bought the Halo 3 Legendary because of the bonus DVD... kind of an idiotic impulse buy, especially since the cat helmet sits in its box and will probably be thrown out when I move. :(

I like the production video stuff, which is why I buy collector's editions, but I can't justify spending 3 times the price of a game now (unless it's on a pseudo Fender Squier for Rock Band).

Oh, if anyone needs the Firefight or Needler achievements, I have some map thingies on my share:
    http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileShare.aspx?player=firehawk1234

I wonder if they thought custom Firefight would lead to easy achievements, but oh well.

8. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suffice it to say, I had a lot of fun unboxing that bad boy. :techman:

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So does Master Chief appear in the game at all?

10. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, if you have x-ray vision, you can see him on the
    Pillar of Autumn, in the cryo bay.

11. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

woot, got the "Tank Beats Everything" achievement

12. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope. He is still featured, though, in the form of a "Firefight voice" you can purchase with credits you earn. His is of course the most expensive.

13. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ Check out Hertimer Jitty's post; it speaks truth. ;)

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Less credits for me to spend, then. The only Firefight voice I plan on purchasing is that of GYSGT Edward Buck. :techman:

15. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

For shits and giggles, I checked Amazon to see how the game was rated by buyers. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the Legendary Edition's price!!! :eek:
    How much didja pay for it, guys? I paid mine €129.

16. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

I paid 160 something after tax. Got a 20 dollar gift card with it so its closer to 140

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I can't believe they don't have Master Chief in it. He was at Reach, after all. I was hoping in the final level you play beside him as an invincible NPC or something. Or at least hear about what he's doing on the radio while you're fighting.

18. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I paid £102.13 (including shipping) over at Amazon UK - about 120 EUR. I always order from the UK, I can't stand the localized German versions, plus, it's way cheaper than buying in Germany - even if you take shipping into account.

I'm so very glad he's not in it. The MC is a very cool character, but the Halo universe is too big and too interesting not to tell its stories from different perspectives. That's why I thoroughly enjoyed the novels as well as Halo Wars and ODST.

IMO, a fitting analogy would be the Star Trek universe - not every story that's worth telling has to be about the crew of Enterprise.

19. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

The chief is in it. For all of 2 seconds, but he's there, definately :P

20. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Everyone here remembers Colossus from Halo 2 right? No? Well, it was a fairly nifty MP map.

So nifty in fact, that I've decided to remake it. Gents, I present Shadow of Colossus :D

[​IMG]

Its not a carbon copy of the original (The coliseum area of Forge World is too small to accurately copy the original) but I think it plays just as well. I'd appreciate your feedback, you can grab it by adding DangerousDac as a friend/looking at my file share, or searching "Halo 2 Colossus Remake" might find it for you.

BTW, did I mention how much I love this game? :p

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010