How Would You Reboot TNG Into The Abrams-Verse?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by slappy, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Eris

Eris Ensign Newbie

But it wouldn't need to be set in the Abrams alternate universe to be rebooted. The original timeline is already rebooted at the start of ST XI.

It might be interesting to see a series or film set in a rebooted prime universe around the time of the destruction of Romulus. Alternatively, it's easy to imagine a rebooted TNG crew establishing contact with the Abramsverse and striving to avert the destruction of Romulus... (Abramsverse would still exist seeing as we're now working on a multi-timeline model - I think).

2. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

What do you mean by "the original timeline is already rebooted"?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  3. Eris

Eris Ensign Newbie

I mean that Abrams rebooted the prime universe. The universe we see in his film is not the familiar universe of TOS even before the temporal pollution. The ships are different, Romulans look different etc... That's what a "reboot" normally is - it's just updated and made to look cooler. In Abrams trek, the primary timeline remains in existence, so it's legitimate to imagine what that rebooted universe would look like by the time it got round to TNG era.

4. LobsterAfternoon

But the Prime Universe is the one Spock is from. It's intact. The one that changed is the alternate timeline, the one we're currently seeing unfold in the JJ movies.

5. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Prime Universe - not rebooted.

JJ verse - reboot from birth of Kirk forward (apparently)

6. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

But heavily retconned.

7. Eris

Eris Ensign Newbie

I know it's intact. But in Abrams' film, Nero is also from that prime timeline, yet his appearance is not that of the familiar Romulans of TOS or TNG etc.

Maybe "rebooted" is the wrong word, but then most of the suggestions on this thread would not qualify as reboots because they don't radically alter the timeline. My point is just that it would be possible to do a story about the primary timeline (possibly linking it in with the Abramsverse) but still have a fair amount of licence to modify characters, settings etc for a contemporary audience. That is exactly what Abrams would've done if he had decided to set his film in the standard ST universe and rightly so.

8. LobsterAfternoon

He's bald, but he otherwise looks much like other Romulans we've seen. Plus he's from even further up the prime timeline than Nemesis.