Main Engineering Set Construction (NV/P2)

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by GSchnitzer, May 26, 2015.

1. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

For our upcoming shoot of "Torment of Destiny" (that's its working title; there might be a final title change) in July, we have a scene in Main Engineering. For a couple of months now, we've been plugging away on the construction of our Main Engineering set. We have miles to go in the next two months, but it's coming along. Total costs for the Engineering set construction so far is running a shade under $1,000.00.

[​IMG]

Also, in September, the Town of Ticoderoga, New York is hosting "Trekconderoga"--a Trek-related block party in the heart of the small town. We'll be having an open house at the studio, so come and walk the Enterprise corridors, Transporter Room, Sick Bay, Briefing Room, Captain's Quarters, our newly-built Main Engineering, and, of course, the Bridge. Lots of fun stuff is planned. Among other things, we are aiming on screening TOS episodes on the Main View Screen of the Bridge. Seating will be rather limited on the Bridge, of course--but it'll be great to pull up one of our Burke chairs and watch an episode with an accompanying live, in-person commentary by TOS cast and crew members.

More details to follow, of course, on this Labor Day Weekend event.

2. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

3. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

wow - that is a huge set...

4. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Looking good!

5. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

Hooray! Nice to see P2 expanding and growing.

6. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

Looks awesome, can't wait to see it on screen.

7. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Looks fantastic!

8. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Marvelous! Very much looking forward to seeing more sneak peek photos of construction progress.

9. jamesmc

jamesmc Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for sharing this Greg. Actually our costs are about $1,300.00 right now. That includes all the 2X4, and 2X6, 1X3, 1X4, Plywood, MDF, and Masonite. We already had the correct diffusion plastic for the grating. Our biggest costs will be for the Hex metal screening. Our good Friend Steve Leclerc will be fabricating the ladder and railing out of steel for us at cost with no labor charge. I have already been doing the wall decorations and buttons for this for awhile, so we will be good there. Until I get estimates on the hex metal and steel, I can't give a final cost on the set. And this thing is VERY WELL BUILT! Very sturdy, it isn't going anywhere!

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  10. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

It looks great and I can't wait to see more.

11. HarryM

HarryM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe we can finally see what's in that "phone booth" up there, looking very good!

12. GSchnitzer

The first time we see that booth in use is also the first time we saw that new Engineering set: "The Doomsday Machine." In the episode the damage control party enters to assess the damage to the Constellation's Engineering Room--and they all enter through that little booth (i.e., they exit the booth and enter the Engineeing Room set).

Interestingly, they all parade out of the booth in the exact same order that they descended that tri-ladder tubular access way in the scene before. So that small booth/room might be nothing more than the "ground floor" for that tri-ladder. Whatever it is, it's hard to imagine why four people would pack into that little room. It must go someplace. (Franz Joseph has a small corridor that leads to the heat exchangers and a bathroom.)

13. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exciting! What are you planning to use for the view of the engines themselves?

14. GSchnitzer

I don't understand your question about "the engines," but we'll be making that same forced-perspective "pipe chamber" back behind the red hexagonal grating. Beyond that, our intent is to faithfully reproduce the Desilu Stage 9/Paramount Stage 31 Trek sets. So if they didn't have it back then, we're not currently working on ship sets that are different from the old ones (unless a script necessity arises).

15. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Just curious: Your production is styled as Phase II, and the Enterprise now has the exterior design elements of the Phase II-era starship (e.g., the photon torpedo launcher in the interconnecting dorsal, the new warp engine nacelles, etc.) Given all of this, was there a conscious decision not to create the 1970s Phase II design for the engineering set?

[​IMG]
    Concept drawing for the aborted Phase II series engineering set

[​IMG]
    The engineering set under construction circa 1978 for the aborted Phase II series

[​IMG]
    The engineering set under construction circa 1978 for the aborted Phase II series

16. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks, the "pipe chamber" is what I meant. :)

17. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

First, thanks for sharing. I'm a NV/P2 addict, so it's always nice to get something new to feed my habit. ;)

I did have the same question as Professor Moriarity, though. Don't get me wrong, I love the original Engineering set. But, with your conscious decision to adopt and adapt the 1970s P2 design for the exterior of the ship, I had sort of assumed you'd likewise be adopting/adapting the 1970s era P2 Engineering set, as well. Just curious about the thought process. Because I have no doubt this was not a decision made lightly.

Thanks again for sharing the pic's and information. Looking forward to future episodes. :bolian:

18. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

The Phase 2 Engineering set would look out of place unless everything else was also revised to Phase 2 designs- the Bridge for example.

I am OK with having the classic Engineering set with the Phase 2 exterior changes- I don't think all the changes would have happened at the same time. Upgrade the Nacelles, improve the deflector/sensor dish, all these things could happen without the complete Refit as the new show was intended to portray the ship IMO...

19. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wanna go play! Aww man I'd kill to play on a ship <3 I'd be 10 again.

20. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

I'm impressed and very happy to see you will have a new set to film on. The amount you have spent so far is impressive as well. Good luck!