Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel, DVD

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 18, 2011.

?

How do you rate Captain America: The First Avenger?

Poll closed Feb 28, 2012.
  1. A+

34 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. A

51 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. A-

34 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. B+

27 vote(s)
    15.3%
  5. B

15 vote(s)
    8.5%
  6. B-

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. C

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

After bitching about it a few months ago, I did end up seeing it because I'm awful at that sort of thing. I gave it a B. It was good but not great and certainly not better than X-Men First Class.

Chris Evans was far and away the best thing about this movie. Any doubts about him being cast as Captain America have been buried. He was fantastic in the lead role and pulled if off perfectly. He deserves to become a big star off this performance.

He was bolstered by a terrific supporting cast. Tommy Lee Jones was a blast, Haley Atwell was one of the better comic book love interests in recent memory, and I liked how they reimagined Bucky. Teenage sidekick just wasn't going to cut it realistically. Also liked Steve's relationship with the scientist whose name I can't remember. Howard Stark was another good addition but seriously, did he have Tony when he was like 60 years old? Nice to see Filch from Harry Potter pop up in the very boring first 10 minutes of the movie. The entire Captain America as a movie star bit was particularly cool. Loved that they used the first Captain America shield in the beginning.

The production design on this film was very impressive and I loved how they brought the 1940s to life. Good action as well. I liked how they ended the movie and set up the next Avengers film.

I just wasn't feeling this movie as much as I had hoped. Maybe it was the lack of credible threat from the enemies. Serioulsy, can we agree that Hydra was the biggest bunch of cannon fodder bad guys since the stormtroopers? They posed no threat whatsoever in the film and got their ass kicked whenever they were in a fight. Hugo Weaving wasn't bad but I expected more from the Red Skull. Iron Man 2 suffered from the very weak threat posed by the villains and Captain America does too. Speaking of Hydra...

You hit it right on the mark. Substituing Hydra for the Nazis was a complete joke. Red Skull was and is a GIGANTIC Nazi. He was basically Hitler's Captain America during the war. It was only later, when Cap was brought back into the Marvel Universe that this Hydra stuff started up. I want to see Captain America fight Nazis, not cannon fodder Hydra goons. This film is supposed to be set during WW2 but Cap fighting against a fictional "Nazi" terrorist team really took me out of the movie. Just an awful PC Hollywood decision.

Speaking of which, I think the director did deemphasize American patriotism almost every chance he got. Only during the credits at the end was I actually feeling the whole patriot thing.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011
  2. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

The film's hero spends his time runnin' 'round draped, literally, in an American flag, and ya think patriotism was deemphasized?!?

3. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I still thought they did.

4. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

I got back a few hours ago and I say A. I was going to go with A-, but no, I really did like it. The whole time I had a Indiana Jones feeling to it. I feel like this was a cross between Superman:The Movie, IronMan and a little bit of Indy Jones. I don't feel like anything was rushed or forced and it wasen't slow either, it felt like a nice medium pace. I felt like I really got a chance to really get Steve as a character wich reminded me of Superman 1. The IronMan comes from the basic feel of the recent Marvel movies. I really liked Howard Stark, though I wonder why they didn't use the actor from IronMan 2?

Hugo Weaving, man I love that guy. His voice is spectacular as well as his acting. It was also nice to see his menacing face. I wanted him to say,"Mr. Rogers". "Why Mr. Rogers, why do you persist"? Anyway, he was great and the Skull looked cool too.

The transition to present day was awsome as well as the Avengers teaser.

The only real problem I had was the 3D, don't bother, it's non existant. I have now only seen two movies in 3D and I'm truly convinced it's just a waste.

Can't wait for next year!

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

This point bothers me. I live in a small community and while the local cinema does play first run films (including Captain America) I don't have the option of seeing it in 2D and I have no desire or interest to see it in 3D. So I either pay a premium for something I don't want or wait six months for the film's release on dvd and blu-ray.

As nice as our big screen TV is this is the kind of spectacle I'd like to see on the big screen.

I was somewhat interested to see Green Lantern and Thor, but I passed because my interest wasn't stronger than my dislike of 3D. But Captain America I have a stronger interest in.

I really can't wait till this 3D fad deservedly dies. :rolleyes:

6. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I think because that version of Howard Stark is supposed to be twenty or more years older than the version seen workin' with Captain America.

In this movie, he's still young, flirty & presumably single. Definately not a father yet, that's for sure. And we saw Tony in the old reel to reel in Iron Man 2.

Or the guy may have been busy filmin' The Adjustment Bureau or Mad Men & couldn't reprise the role with hair dye & pancake make up.

7. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

I live in a somewhat small community and there was a 2D option, but this time I thought,"what the hell". I really loved the movie, but the 3D is notr worth it. I'd say either try to drive a little further if you can or just pay the extra money because it really is a good movie. If you really can't afford it, then just try to find a good copy online. This is not a movie you want to wait 6 months for.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ I can afford it. It's the principle of it.

9. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

That was an amazing film. Best Marvel film yet, even beats out First Class. Avengers is shaping up to be amazing.

10. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Yeah that makes sense, either way I liked this version of Howard, he reminded me of Tony when he's showing off that car.

On the Avengers trailer, it really looks like Tony/ RDJ will be the stand out character and will be the one to really pull the group together. His charisma will lead the group. It will be interesting to see Sam Jackson finally kicking ass. On another note, it looks like Red Skull will return possibly when Thor or Loki returns?

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah...that's happening right after William Shatner reprises his role as Young James Kirk in "Star Trek: The Wonder Years." :rolleyes:

12. BDJ

BDJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'll give Cap an "A" as well! This movie was well paced, well acted, well written and just as entertaining as all get out!!
    The 3D wasn't worth it really.
    The teaser at the end of the credits was a fantastic idea!

13. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

I voted B+

I liked it way more than I ever thought I'd like a Captain America movie. Chris Evans was fantastic.

Marvel is doing something really exciting with these movies, it's so fun to see the world building going on here.

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Be snide all you want. But 3D has caused me to stay away from at least two or three films in cinema. The tech as it is now doesn't work for my vision and until and if they get it right then I'll likely be keeping my money in my wallet which will only add to the after release video rental and sales.

What it really comes down to is that I'm past being dazzled by tech gimmicks. I've heard and read more criticism of the tech than praise. What I've seen of it doesn't impress me at all and has usually marred the viewing experience rather than enhance it.

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

B+ from me.

Of all the superhero movies this year, this was definitely the most fun and well-executed. Loved seeing all the retro Cap costumes, and Evans was likeable as hell.

Unfortunately what held it back from being great was a truly rousing or thrilling superhero theme. There were several times when I wanted to cheer and get pumped up (such as when Cap returns with the soldiers), but the moment just sat there because the generic score did nothing for it. It was frustrating as hell.

And count me as one of those who felt the second half felt a bit rushed. We have all this great buildup to him putting on the final Captain America suit.... and then suddenly we get a montage of him in action, he fights Red Skull, and the movie's over. And did he ever have to train or anything? It's like he just became an expert fighter from out of nowhere.

The other thing that kind of bugged me is we never see Rogers be all that, well, superhuman. I admit I don't know the character that well, and I get that he doesn't have any actual powers, but all he really comes across here is as a soldier who happens to be a bit buffer and who wears a snazzier costume than the others. I just didn't see what was supposed to be so special and unique about him.

I would have loved to see him get in a one-on-one fight with some gigantic brute of a man, or show some great display of strength or something.

Still though, this feels like one of those rare movies (like the Rocketeer) that will only improve and seem even COOLER with each viewing.

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Yeah, I was waiting for a fight scene like in the second Hulk movie where the military guy had used a supersoldier serum and went all acrobatic on the Hulk.

17. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Captain America has no real superhuman abilities.

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^which still makes him superior. Which wasn't portrayed that much in the movie.

19. Vasquez Rocks

Vasquez Rocks Commodore Commodore

I give it an A.This was exactly what I wanted in a Captain America movie. I'm a huge fan of The Rocketeer and Joe Johnston didn't disappoint. He really excels at these period piece superhero movies and Chris Evans played Cap perfectly. I was almost sad to see it come to an end, but we have The Avengers to look forward too. Still, I'm going to kind of miss the WWII setting. That was a fun!

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I took a chance.

I didn't see Green Lantern or Thor in cinema because the theatre here was screening them in 3D and I had no interest in paying a premium for that. I wanted to (hopefully) see an enjoyable film without the distraction of an imperfect gimmick that bothers my eyes. Turns out, though, that my local theatre is screening Captain America in standard 2D this week and is switching to 3D next week. So I lucked out.

I'm not that familiar with the character and the only Captain America comics I read were way back in the late '60s. so maybe it was a good thing I wasn't burdened with expectations? Even if so I take these films as adaptations and not gospel.

This was a fun and feel good movie in similar fashion to when I saw Raiders Of The Lost Ark way back in 1981. It also has a measure of innocence in similar sense as the '78 Superman, but without the overt camp of that film. I loved the whole retro look to it. I liked its measured pace without feeling rushed or conversely bogged down. I like how all the characters were just right for their parts. Yes there is a degree of corniness and smaltz in this, but they're in the right doses and in the right places. This is, after all, a superhero film and like the Sam Raimi Spider-Man films it touches on why these stories and these characters appeal to us. It also does the right thing by avoiding the overt cynicism of our own times. It shows us not the world we do live in, but a world we would like to live in. A world where good people can do good things and step up when they're needed. I certainly found myself smiling and laughing in the right places.

I quite liked this film and I think it's a keeper that I'll gladly add to my own library. I generally disagree with many of the rather jaded reviews I've read and I give it an "A" rating.

I also caught The Avengers trailer after the end credits. Could be fun.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011