Jenny

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Noddy, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Are there any theories as to why the character of Jenny, from The Doctor's Daughter, after setting off into the universe to have her own adventures, was seemingly just totally forgotten about after her one appearance? This is a character who is just crying out to return, IMO, but Moffat and co haven't done anything with her.

2. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

I doubt her character will return as RTD was the showrunner at the time, maybe the intention was to revisit her had RTD produced further series. In fairness to Moffat he didn't create the character and obviously doesn't feel obliged to write a follow up.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^But it was reportedly Moffat's idea to bring Jenny back to life at the end of the story. Which suggests he wanted to do something more with the character.

4. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought there was an unspoken agreement that we pretend that episode never happened?

;)

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe Steven is afraid it will look like nepotism to idiots?

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Moffat has said when asked about it that his reported role in Jenny's survival was overblown. He read the script and said that he thought it was a waste that Jenny died at the end. RTD thought about it, agreed, and the ending was rewritten.

I suspect he has no interest in the character.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Jenny is River Song.

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think the character has been forgotten so much as it's a result of Georgia Moffett being a bit busy. Getting married, having two kids, plus raising a pre-teen. Looking over IMDB, she hasn't done that much acting the past few years, so I'm not surprised she hasn't returned to Doctor Who.

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

So, which of those children will carry on in Dad and Grandpa's shoes and become a future Doctor? (And of course, mom was a kinda-Doctor)

10. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought at one point they planned a spin off for her.

But either way, she has been forgotten in the mists of time.

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I think they wanted to keep their options open, but that doesn't mean they're heavily motivated to exercise those options. My guess is, if a writer wants to use her character and she's not too busy, they'll do a story. An outside writer seems more likely to me.

Of course, once the Doctor sees her again, he'll know that he's not quite so alone when it comes to Timelords (sure, he's got River, but River is dead so that's different). That's not a problem, but it's something they need to keep in mind when it comes to a story.

12. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

A lot of things have been forgotten about in recent Who, one of the things that's starting to annoy me about it.

13. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd love to see her come back as a villain personally. She doesn't understand why she is alive, and because she was created to fight she finds herself compelled towards conflict after conflict. She starts going through her regenerations so fast that her mind becomes permanently frazzled and she becomes a sort of crazy 'immortal' warlord. When the Doctor finds her (and defeats her) he has to break it to her that there is a limit (which parallels his own fast approaching mortality) which then drives her to a Master-like hunt to prolong her life.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course, if you insist on having some sort of conclusion, that's relatively simple to think up. The shuttle she stole at the end of the episode didn't have FTL meaning her only real choices were to drift in space or return to the colony.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's hardly recent. The original Who ignored its past all the time, since after all the makers never expected any of its serials to endure or be remembered. For instance, the first season repeatedly insisted (in "The Aztecs" and "The Reign of Terror") that history was immutable and impossible to change, but the second season blithely tossed that out the window in "The Time Meddler," a story that was entirely about preventing someone from changing history. Then there were the three different, incompatible explanations for the fall of Atlantis, and teleportation (T-mat) existing in the mid-21st century but then being unknown centuries later, and so forth.

Doctor Who has always been something of a tall tale, and part of the fun of tall tales is their cavalier approach to their own internal logic and consistency. It's the kind of show where one needs to turn off one's continuity-policing urges and just go with it.

16. DalekJim

Georgia Moffett is in danger of being the Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian of the Doctor Who empire, and I don't think the show should really humour this notion by casting her again.

17. Allyn Gibson

She's going to star in a reality show that shows the vapid, trashy lifestyle she leads? If not (and I doubt she leads a trashy and shallow lifestyle), I'm utterly confused by your comparison to Hilton or the Kardashians.

18. DalekJim

She's gained lots of media attention purely for who her father is and who she sleeps with. Entire threads on GallifreyBase would be devoted to this stuff.

Some of us don't care, and just see an ordinary actress in a Scrappy Doo role.

19. Allyn Gibson

On this side of the pond, the only media attention she has is 1) she was in a Doctor Who episode, 2) she's married to Tennant, 3) she's Peter Davison's daughter. The order of that sort may change depending on the day of the week and who you're talking to. In the scheme of things, she's not that important. :)

20. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Er... where?