My Take on Voyager Mk II

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Anwar, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Kai Winn

Kai Winn Captain Captain

well, i propose one change only. voyager abducts quark from ds9, and he shoots neelix and kes upon arrival on the ocampa world.

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Eye of the Storm

VOY is recovering from their final battle with the Borg and the loss of Seven, the Equinox survivors are put into Conclave custody and things have settled down from where the volatile situation it was in before.

The League report that Fluidic activity is building up again and deliver an ultimatum: They KNOW that the Conclave was able to create an anti-Fluidic weapon from information they got studying the databanks of the AIs that were taken over by the Borg, and they're demanding that they distribute it so the League can create a superior weapon with their better military sciences. They threaten to attack and take it if need be.

The Conclave replies that they could easily just destroy the nano-weapons if threatened but their bluff is called when Conclave HQ (a giant space station built by all the Conclave races to be their place of gathering instead of one of their homeworlds) is threatened by a ship even larger than a League Mobile Command decloaking and locking weapons.

The Voth have returned.

Ancient Answers

The Voth City-Ship delivers a trade agreement: VOY comes with them and they won't open fire on the Conclave HQ and all the representatives housed in it.

VOY is then swallowed up inside the massive vessel and taken somewhere while the crew are given restricted access to the ship. They notice that much of the design seems similar to League technology even though the Voth have not been seen for 2,000 years.

A Voth scientist (Quarren) who states he is an anthropologist greets the crew. He's wanted to study the Federation people for some time now but it took the growing situation with the Borg and the return of the Fluidics to convince his people to end their period of hiding away.

He decides to answer some questions in return for their cooperation, but this is mere courtesy since the Voth could just take over the ship, strip it of all knowledge they seek and tear whatever personal information is needed from their minds.

He explains that this one massive vessel is all that's left of the Voth people and that a side-effect of the usage of bioweaponry in the Fluidic Wars left it hard for them to reproduce, some side effect near-sterilizing their DNA. But since they all live for so long they didn't die off long ago. Their elders are contemporaries of the First Fluidic Wars.

As for why they only took a direct interest now when they showed no interest in galactic affairs before? They DID have an interest: The Voth shows them a timeline of the League's existence and VOY notices those times of expansion are around the same time the Voth claim they would show up to observe how the Deep-Beta region was recovering from the Fluidics. The Voth in fact created the League from nothing by periodically advancing their technology and giving advice/motivation to the League leaders so they could act as the Voth's proxy/front while they remained safe on their City-Ship.

But now with things reaching a critical point they feel they must take a more direct hand in this second Fluidic Invasion.

They appear at the League capital world where they are informed that the League succeeded in capturing and holding a Fluidic separated from its people and its craft without it committing suicide. It's now at a lab and they want to test out VOY's nano-weapons on it to see if they themselves can improve on them.

The lab as it turns out is very low-tech in most regards, to keep the Fluidic from being able to escape if it did break out of the containment area (one of the only advanced parts).

When VOY does get there they get no response from the Lab. After being told this is part of procedure to keep the lab a secret Janeway decides to go down there herself with the nanoweapon data because she doesn't want to risk anyone else's life. But to insure that she will keep her end of the bargain the entire bridge crew are sent down there by the Voth so she will have to worry about others' lives.

The Fluidic has escaped and it killed the guards and trashed the most advanced parts of the lab. All that's left are the run-down parts of the place (it used to be a refinery).

The surviving scientists and the crew come up with a plan to fight back: The Fluidics' mental powers have been dampened by drugs it was exposed to on arrival but it still has awesome physical strength so they have to find a way of trapping it again. There are parts of the old Refinery that can be sealed off so it can't get out (the doors are too thick for physical strength to break) and they plan to try and use their weapons to ignite refinery gas and cause a big enough blast it will physically blow the Fluidic creature towards the part of the tunnel system where it can be trapped.

The get to work setting it all up when the Fluidic attacks them prematurely, and one guy fires his phaser while being assaulted which sets off the blast. It forces everyone including the Fluidic to the end area where the door can be sealed, but the Fluidic still isn't inside the area yet.

Tom, having been rather depressed for a while since everyone he became close to has died or left him like Harry, B'Ellana and Seven, sees they have a chance and runs into the chamber after getting the Fluidic to follow him. This sets off the motion device that triggers the door close while its' killing Tom. It's trapped but Tom is dead.

After the League sends in another battalion of troopers and engineers to get the place fixed up, the Voth demand that VOY use their nanotech weapons in experiments on the Fluidic. Kes then tells everyone to stop and realizes she can communicate with the Fluidic; it's still weakened mentally but can now communicate. It's weary of fighting and killing, seeing enough inside Paris' mind to know when it's beat.

It agrees to communication and when everyone demands what the Fluidics' intentions are, why they have been so hostile for 2000 years, etc. it responds that its people are prisoners in this dimension and have been since they were pulled here 2000 years ago by the “Controller” who refused to let them leave until they had destroyed everything in the Galaxy, telling them that the inhabitants wanted a challenge. All attempts at communicating failed and war broke out due to these failures to communicate, leading everyone to where they are now.

When Kes asks about the Controller, what she sees is too much for her mind to comprehend but she realizes it is very familiar.

Correlating all their data on powerful beings in the Deep-Beta Quadrant that had been around for the last 2000 years a list is done up when Kes realizes what she saw in her mind and cross-references it with the data.

She brings up how the Caretaker and his mate arrived here 2000 years ago and how while the Caretaker remained to care for the Ocampa his mate left for other pursuits. Now they know what happened to her and what that pursuit was.

The "Controller" is the female Caretaker, and everyone that had happened in the last 2000 years has all been her grand experiment.

3. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Endgame

Voyager heads to the Ocampan homeworld at Kes' request while the majority of the Conclave Armada and League StarForce assemble to defend against a new assault by the Fluidics who are gathering in such a great number it seems like the start of the next Fluidic War.

Kes uses her mental abilities to link with the rest of her kind and together they "mindscan" the space near their world where the Array was and pick up on the leftover traces of the Caretaker. With the mental "scent" of a Caretaker they are now able to search out for the female one and find her. Turns out she wasn't very far from the Array and has been observing everything. She arrives in her little girl form and announces that due to VOY's entrance to the Greater Beta Quadrant her experiment has been contaminated; she's a little upset over 2000+ years of hard work going down the drain. But she's a scientist and still has many years left to her so she can start again: She's the one causing the greater build-up of the Fluidics as she hopes to create such a massive battle that both the Conclave and the League will be virtually destroyed while at the same time they unleash the nanoprobe weaponry on the Fluidics. This will wipe out 99% of all the factions and she can wait to see how it will all go out again over the next 2000 years.

She leaves to observe, confident that they will die in the crossfire knowing the truth but unable to stop it.

An all-out final battle is occurring between the combined forces of the entire Deep-Beta Quadrant (AI Nation, Conclave, League, and anyone else) and the Fluidics. However, he crew of VOY realize that the real enemy is the female Caretaker: she’s also affecting the minds of the combined forces so the aggression caused by the battling increases. This occurs to them when they try to get through and explain what’s happening but most fleet commanders are in a fighting rage to listen. Kes clues them into the Caretaker’s influence.

Janeway pulls out her secret weapon: she contacted the Devore before they started searching for the Caretaker and had a fleet of their ships armed with anti-telepath weapons which they unleash on her. This weakens her to the point that the League/Conclave commanders are free of her and listen to VOY and the Fluidic attack begins the fall apart. While the League/Conclave fight off the retreating Fluidics, they send what available ships they have to battle the Caretaker. But it’s still not enough; their technology can’t overcome her sheer mindpower.

United

Kes, Tuvok and Lon Suder tell Janeway they’ve devised one alternative: They use a shuttle to go to the Voth vessel during the engagement and release the captive Fluidic there. They then immediately share their minds with it and make it realize the grand manipulation they’ve all suffered via the Caretaker. Surprised that they released him the Fluidic sees the truth in their minds and the knowledge of the greater battle. Linking his mind to theirs and then to the greater Ocampa telepath link it calls out to its’ people to stop and shares his knowledge and as the Caretaker is injured it can’t stop the message.

The Fluidic race combines their psychic link with the Ocampan one and then with the entire Quadrant’s armada. With a single shared goal and enemy they assault the Caretaker mentally while she is assaulted physically by the Devore weapons. For one instant the minds of everyone in the Deep-Beta Quadrant are united together in their desire to be free and seek their own fate, free from outside manipulation; for one instant all sentient life in the Deep-Beta Quadrant share a united mind, which gives them a deeper and better understanding of one other than they ever had before. This overpowers the female Caretaker, erasing her threat (forever?).

The Fluidics are finally able to create a rift back to their home dimension now that the Female Caretaker is dead, while the Federation is able to harvest enough of the Slipstream fuel they need to begin actively trading/interacting with the Greater Beta Quadrant. With the Fluidic threat finally ended (they were so sick of our universe they just upped and left with little intention to return) the League is cutting back on the military and diverting more resources to diplomatic departments. Whether they like it or not, the people of the Deep-Beta Quadrant now have a better understanding and connection of one another and what they have in common.

Thus, the 2000+ years of harshness and hostility has finally come to an end and for the first time in millennia there is a chance at true peace. Will there one day be a new war that will draw in the Conclave, the League and the Federation, will a threat greater than the Fluidics ever emerge? Who knows what the future brings?

But for now, the pain and hostility of the past can be outshone by the bright promise of a better tomorrow.

Star Trek Voyager – The End

4. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Since I'm done with this now, and this is the first rewrite/polishing of the story I was wondering if anyone here knew anyone I could go to for ship designs/aesthetics of the Deep-Beta Aliens I created. Like League starships and stuff.

5. fishingforships

fishingforships Lieutenant Red Shirt

Way out in the Delta Quad, you know Missouri
    I like the general idea The whole spin on it being an out-dated Ambassador class ship is pretty cool, but what if it was a Galaxy class that had the saucer section destroyed in its first encounter. The drive section is not vary large and the crew has to interact a lot closer, tempers flare and more problems arise. also without the saucer section's phaser array I believe it would be somewhat under powered, although it would be faster and more maneuverable, I think a lot of the species you are talking about would be more than a match for it. I don't know, what do you think?

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I picked the Ambassador class because I figured out of all the "Enterprises" we'd seen, that class had been the least used in Trek. And we know that despite it being a Heavy Cruiser it would be around 30 years old by VOY's time, so not the top-of-the-line vessel either. After TNG and DS9 I think we'd seen the Galaxy enough times.

7. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't get this thread.

Do you all hate Voyager so much that you would completely destroy/rewrite what we were served?

Don't get me wrong, it's entertaining, but why the need to use Voyager and her crew rather than creating new set of characters?

Just seems lazy (IMO).

8. fishingforships

fishingforships Lieutenant Red Shirt

Way out in the Delta Quad, you know Missouri
    Lazy? Did you actually read the work this guy put into it?

9. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Of course I read it. As I said, it's entertaining and it interests me.

I thought we were Star Trek fans? Why take someone elses work, something we love, and completely rework it? It seems lazy to copy someone elses work when with a little more effort you could come up with some new characters and have a totally new story.

This thread is called "Voyager MKII", What was wrong with "Voyager MKI"? The universe is big enough to tell a new story.

It's a good premise and I appreciate the effort put into this.

I thought Anwar had posted it here for some honest critisism and not just for sychophantic acclaim. If I'm wrong I apologise and will mind my own business in future.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I called it MKII because this was the second version of a Voyager rewrite I made when someone dared me to do it.

There's an older post called "My Take of Voyager" on this forum from months ago, it was the prototype for this post.