Marvel Cinematic Universe spoiler-heavy speculation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bbjeg, Apr 6, 2014.

?

What grade would you give the Marvel Cinematic Universe? (Ever-Changing Question)

1. A+

18.1%
  2. A

26.9%
  3. A-

14.6%
  4. B+

7.6%
  5. B

14.0%
  6. B-

2.9%
  7. C+

3.5%
  8. C

4.7%
  9. C-

2.9%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0.6%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

4.1%
  1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I figured A Funny Thing Happened... took place somewhere in Arizona, based on the distances on the road sign. According to Google Maps it's 944-974 miles from Malibu to Roswell, depending on which route you take.

2. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I forgot A Funny Thing Happened took place at night but I still believe Thor and IM2 overlap. Thor was driven to that hospital the night before Coulson found the hammer.

3. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Then why does his car have a New Mexico plate on it? I'd say they flubbed up somewhere.

4. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because SHIELD put a New Mexico plate on their car? Why the hell does this matter? It's inconsequential.

5. Skywalker

Yeah, I don't see the big deal there. He could have just switched cars just as easily.

6. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Well I think this comic miniseries plot summary should help anyone who's confused about Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, and Thor.

http://marvelcinematicuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Fury%27s_Big_Week

In any case, does anyone else wish to dispute that Guardians of the Galaxy's main story is completely after Thor: The Dark World?

7. Skywalker

So look at what I found: Charlie Cox on set as Matt Murdock.

I think there are more photos out there, since that post is apparently a couple of weeks old, but it's late and I'm too tired to go digging. I'm sure someone else around here will be able to find them. :techman:

8. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I forgot the MCU owns Daredevil now.

9. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I rather like the way he looks. Much better than that other one. I hope he actually acts like a blind person. I know Ben Affleck has been complained about from here to eternity, but I just didn't think at anytime he acted like a person that couldn't see. Daredevil has his "better than sight" radar ability, but he still can't actually see.

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, if I was someone in Affleck's Daredevil movie and saw him catch things and leap and balance on see-saws, I'd call bullshit about his blindness as loud as I could.

11. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

So what do we think about Vincent D'Onofrio as Kingpin? (don't think I missed the discussion?)

12. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

He looks the part.

There's a headshot there and an interview, although he doesn't say much of substance. He did the ASL challenge thing too and you can see his body, he's really bulky. I have a feeling he's going to dominate the screen.

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Why would anyone dispute that? The date of Quinn's abduction and the passage of time were explicitly shown. Am I missing something?

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I'll admit that Daredevil's blindness is a tough balancing act, but Daredevil jumps from building to building catching flag poles in mid-air. He not only catches objects, he can deflect bullets with his billy club. Saying those things made him seem like he wasn't blind is hardly fair.

BTW, this is the thread previously used for Daredevil discussion. I don't want to get it lost.

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

And how would balancing on see-saws be a discrediting factor?
    You're talking about a character who climbs fire escapes, jumps across rooftops and swings off flag poles.

I'm not seeing your bullshit reasoning here at all for Affleck's performance.

16. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Yes, Daredevil can do these things but Matt Murdock is supposed to be posing as a blind person. If his secret identity is blind, he should act blind.

The scene I'm talking about was when Matt (out of uniform) is sparring with Electra on the playground. There's a scene where he jumps onto a seesaw (out of uniform) still posing as a blind person. If I saw that, I'd assume he was pretending to be blind just so he could get good parking or something.

Edit: I found the scene though it has commentary. Tell me this guy could pass for blind-
    [YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84bDpTiNtuI[/YT]

17. Alidar Jarok

OK, I missed that. However, I do think it's similar to how Frank Miller handled her introduction in the Man Without Fear storyline (not technically canon but very influential and, obviously, he invented Elektra). In that one, back in his college days, he's running and jumping from building to building doing acrobatics late at night and she essentially teases him to have him give chase. Obviously, Matt has to downplay his abilities when there are people who may recognize him, but he doesn't always have to hide himself.

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

As I understand it, Daredevil isn't *actually* blind.

Sure his eyes don't work but he has a better, more accurate perception of his immediate surroundings that most people with 20/20. That's the crux of his super-power, is it not?
    He needs the white cane for the same reason Clark Kent needs glasses, it's a disguise. So any claim that Affleck is unconvincing as a blind person isn't really much of a criticism. It's like saying an actor playing Bruce Wayne isn't playing a "good" rich moron playboy....because he's not really supposed to be.

19. Alidar Jarok

Not necessarily. I wouldn't say it's more accurate, just different. It's certainly 360 and can seemingly go around corners, etc. I also think he's better at detecting motion. But when it comes to details or depth or anything like that, it's not there.

Here is a good article from someone with clearly too much time on their ha- I mean someone who has thought this out in lots of helpful detail ;)

Daredevil certainly is blind. I strongly dislike any version that tries to say his sight is better. In fact, Daredevil today is at a greater disadvantage than in the past. D.G. Chichester's nonsensical and misguided attempts aside, the easiest example is this: Matt Murdock can't read what's on a computer screen. He can't really tell what's in photographs. In things like this, he's genuinely blind.

20. Skywalker

Ah, thank you! I'd forgotten about that thread. Like I said, it was late and I was tired. :ouch:

Should I repost the link over there?