Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

394 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. LadyT'Anna

LadyT'Anna Commander Red Shirt

It took me some time to find this forum, too, Diotor.

Do you enjoy TOS, by any chance?

2. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

I've been around for a while, joined in summer 2014... I'm not entirely sure if I have already posted in this thread, because I did the same in TNG forum, but still...

32 year old guy from central Finland here, hello!

TNG is my favorite Trek, it's also my all time favorite series/movie/televisionthing ever, it does have low moments but all series everywhere have them. I also enjoy TOS.

I've also watched DS9, Voyager and Enterprise, they have their moments, but TNG is still at the top.

When it becomes to the movies, I don't really like them, sorry, especially TNG films are so far apart from the series... But I do like the very first Star Trek movie, which doesn't always get a lot of love. :)

Then something not Trek related... Other TV favorites include Friends, Men Behaving Badly (UK) and Futurama.

Favorite music, which has taken surprisingly big role in my life... I'm very particular, I don't have certain favorite bands, but Metallica, Pantera, In Flames (90s) and Dark Tranquillity (post 2000) have made my favorite songs.

And I have a Volvo. :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  3. adriennefae

adriennefae Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi! I joined this web site a couple of months ago but haven't posted much yet, except a few times in some of the five-word story threads. Anyway, I watched all of TNG and some of TOS last year and then stopped for a while. This past summer I decided to watch DS9, and loved it. I'm currently watching Voyager and liking that a lot, which I wasn't expecting to. DS9 is still my favorite, but I like all the Trek shows I've seen so far.

I also love Doctor Who and musical theater.

4. Son of Mezarch

Son of Mezarch Cadet Newbie

A question came up at work today and we were both perplexed. If Vulcans emense strength comes from the gravity of their planet, how do humans function on Planet Vulcan?

5. Citizen Cook

Citizen Cook Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello

Hello,

This is my first post here. I hope it is ok to introduce myself here. If not I apologize.
    I've wanted to speak with some Star Trek fans for a while now. Years actually. None of my friends are into Trek and I'd like to speak to people that share a passion (and knowledge) about the franchise.

While I would certainly describe myself as a fan of the franchise I do not pretend to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination. I own all the movies and series box sets.

I will rank my preference in order so that I can make myself better known.

SERIES:

1. The Next Generation
    2. Voyager
    3. Deep Space Nine
    4. Enterprise
    5. The Original Series

MOVIES:

1. II: The Wrath of Khan
    2. IV: The Voyage Home
    3. First Contact
    4. VI: The Undiscovered Country
    5. III: The Search for Spock
    6. V: The Final Frontier
    7. Generations
    8. The Motion Picture
    9. Insurrection
    10. Nemesis
    11. Star Trek
    12. Into Darkness

The Next Generation is my favorite series because I enjoy the sense of wonder the show brought. The interesting stories every episode. Knowing anything could (and did) happen was thrilling.

I thought Voyager had a great concept. I wish it had been taken further though. (more ship upgrades from Alien Tech for example)

I have to say that I'm really not that interested in Deep Space Nine. I acknowledge the character growth that occurs over the seven seasons but I miss the exploration.

Enterprise was a big disappointment to me. I dislike prequels in general and I would have preferred a less sophisticated ship. So no Transporters and ship wide gravity plating for example. Many of the stories felt recycled for previous Star Trek shows as well. I didn't feel the sense of wonder and excitement I got from The Next Generation and Voyager.

The Original Series is my least favorable show. I grew up watching The Next Generation and Voyager. I saw the Original Series just a few years ago when I brought the remastered box sets. Because of this I have no nostalgia. While I respect the social and historical impact the show has had I watch the episodes with my modern sensibilities and find them lacking. It isn't the costumes or sets that deter me, its the stories. Many shows have copied them in the decades since and so when I view them now I can instantly see where they are headed. The beginning acts seem to plot along too slowly, and the whole thing often feels a little silly.

I won't go into all the movies here but I will say that i really don't like the J.J. Abrams reboots. I don't like reboots just as I don't like prequels. I have a hard time accepting a new cast playing the classic characters. That aside I don't not think much of the stories for those films either. Nothing about them felt fresh to me. And on a fan level the characterizations of the heroes and villain (Khan) didn't sit well either (Although I do like the new Scotty)

While I'm here I thought I might mention that I'm attempting to build a Star ship in the PC edition of Minecraft. (I have a private server) Not a replica of any existing ship, more my own thing. I sort of cross between the Enterprise A and Voyager.
    I know that the A had 21 decks but could someone tell me how many were in the saucer, neck, and secondary hull respectively?

I'm on Steam if anyone would like to add me. My Gamer tag/ID is Citizen_Cook

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, my other interests include Films (Thrillers/Sci-Fi mainly) Star Wars including the old EU, and the occasional video game (Minecraft/Half-life series/Shenmue/The Longest Journey series/and other story-based games. When I play online I do so for co-op not competitively. (I tend to talk more than play anyway) I also use controllers and not Keyboard and mouse for input since until very recently I was a console gamer.

6. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Hello

Oh, god. Another one. I thought the admins turned off the ability to sign up for new accounts. We're overcrowded as it is.

:rofl:

Just kidding. Welcome aboard!

I'm glad you're building that ship on a private server. I made the mistake of trying to build the Enterprise-A on a public one. Had more of it done than I like to think about and then griefers attacked and undid all of my work. :scream:

7. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hi there!

You list Voyager and TVH as your second favourites. I approve:techman:

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

9. Zek

Zek Lieutenant Red Shirt

Welcome aboard!:bolian:

Q'pla!:klingon:

Dif-tor heh smusma.:vulcan:

TNG is probably my favorite series of the franchise as well

10. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome to TrekBBS :)

I like you already :bolian: :lol:

11. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ditto as well.
    In regards to nostalgia. You can't have it without history.
    Nostalgia takes time.

12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Welcome aboard Citizen Cook.

There is a great variety of viewpoints and preferences among fandom. I had a similar experience with Trek, growing up from the age of five watching nearly every episode of TNG and much of DS9 and VOY in wide-eyed wonder when they first aired. I was also largely disappointed by ENT, though I faithfully kept watching. I did always have a great appreciation for TOS, from the time I first saw it in syndication as a wee lad and then on my dad's Laserdisc (:eek:) player.

And as an adult, I have mostly rejected all Trek after TOS and the first couple of movies. When I struck out on my own and started building my own media collection, I realized that TOS was the only Trek that truly meant something to me, and the only one that I really cared about while getting burnt out and tired of the whole rest of the franchise.

Incidentally, I also like a lot of other TV shows and films from the same general era as TOS, as well as architecture, cars, furniture, clothing and design of that period. And TOS happens to be the only Trek series that fits into that jet-age, Cold War context. Aside from Trek, my favorite television show is probably Mad Men. I also enjoy 60s spy stuff, such as the first few James Bond movies.

Kor

13. Citizen Cook

I thought you were serious for a second there. I almost had a heart attack.

14. Citizen Cook

I hoped I would be accepted. I imagined I would since Trek fans seem particularly kind and intelligent people. That's the vibe I get from watching fans on bonus material form the USA.

I think I have a like for the 80's more than any other decade myself. Some of my y favorite movies were produced then and I like the music.

But I agree that the 60's had the best Bond movies. Goldfinger is still my favorite James Bond film.

15. Astra

Astra Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I had wanted to wait with my introduction until I had a „face“ (avatar) but I don’t think that will happen anytime soon, so here goes.

My name is Astra, I live in Dresden, Germany. That is located in former Eastern Germany. And unlike many other Eastern Germans at the time, in our deep valley we were not able to receive any TV from Western Germany. That means, no original Star Trek series in my childhood in the Seventies. I grew up with different things. We are just talking about “Knight Rider” in another thread – this is in fact the first Western show I’ve ever watched, in Summer 1989, at the age of 16. My first fandom.

After the world had changed and everything was possible, I was mostly occupied for years with first “Stargate” and then “Doctor Who” and “Torchwood”. I caught a TOS episode here and there on re-runs on TV, but in general thought it is something you have to grow up with to really appreciate. Same like I never would start to watch “Dallas” now as it so clearly belongs into its time.

How wrong I was.

A few months ago, I tried to watch “Star Trek Into Darkness” on TV and didn’t like it very much. I couldn’t connect with anyone. And suddenly I got this longing for old fashioned shows and actors. I put in the TOS DVDs and the rest is history. I fell in love with it immediately. I also can’t stress enough how important the original English language is. As much as they work hard on the dubbing in German TV, it’s still not the same. I’ve read quite a few books in the meantime, about the making of the show and also actor biographies, and dived into it at the deep end. So much to investigate! So much to catch up with!

I also bought every action figure I could find. I am doing funny comics with them, maybe you have seen them already on Livejournal , Facebook or Tumblr. I don’t think I will be able to show them in here anytime soon though.

After having binge-watched TOS, TAS and the original movies, I also have tried again with the new movies and liked them better the second time around. As I now know the backstories and can appreciate all the small special details they put in for the fans.

I’m not sure yet when and if I will find time to tackle all the other series in the Star Trek universe. It IS quite a big universe.

How did I find this forum? I forgot to mention that I have also fallen in love with “Star Trek Continues”, and while reading the discussion board on IMDB, I found a link to here, and here I am. It’s so great to see an old fashioned forum which I still remember from my early Stargate days. Talking in Facebook groups isn’t the same.

16. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Welcome to the forum Astra! :bolian:

17. Astra

Thank you for the welcome Skyfire! Still finding my way around this place. So much to explore.

18. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Weclome, Astra!

You will be hard pressed to find a more knowledgeable, interactive and fun group of people for any genre or interest. Some of the conversations get intense, and remember there are members here that have "known" each other for many years. Go slow, do not be afraid to ask questions, be prepared to learn a lot, and know that many of us share your love for TOS and its elegance and simplicity...Welcome Aboard!

19. Astra

Thank you very much DarkLight, and what a great avatar you have!

That I already noticed!

And rules and moderation are good. I like rules. It can get a bit out of hand otherwise.

I already found a corner where I feel right at home with like-minded action figure lovers!

20. Eyeware Haze

Eyeware Haze Cadet Newbie

I'm pretty lost in the whole forum world. Calling for help. Am a nerd but want to intensify my nerd-ism. Right now I have started my venture into becoming a Trekkie. Any advice? More pertinent, is anyone willing to be my guide?