The Romulan War: Beneath the Raptor's Wing - Discuss (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DarkHorizon, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

In Enterprise, T'Pau's speech was UT translated from Vulcan to English; while she was speaking accented Standard in "Amok Time"?

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That's the most likely explanation, yes.

Although it begs the question, why wasn't she speaking Vulcan in "Amok Time"? As I said, T'Pau - in that episode - doesn't seem to like humans that much, so she probably wouldn't bother speaking their language. And if universal translators were in wide use in ENT, then they should also have been used in TOS ("Amok Time" aired after "Arena", after all) and thus T'Pau should have been able to speak Vulcan then as well.

Of course the "real" reason is simply the actress' own accent. If people couldn't hear her correctly, that's not her fault, I guess. De deaf is de deaf, vhut ken be dun? ;)

3. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

i suspect not liking humans was an act she put on at first to test the worthiness of bones and jim.
    once they proved they would stay by spock she complimented him on having them along..

and if she didnt care about them she woudnt have contacted starfleet requesting enterprise to be there thus covering for kirk.

and just me,,i suspect she knew bones was going to make kirk appear dead.
    very odd she let bones go back to the ship so fast without having kirk checked by a vulcan.
    that she had already contacted strarfleet makes me suspect that even more.

4. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

actually i could see where indeed he does get back to enterprise either as himself or another engineer consultant.
    heck he could come back to himself and there maybe something that happens with the formation of the federation (he knows too much perhaps) that out of fear for his life another fake death occurs but this one more permanent.
    with him eventually taking on the persona we see in last full measure.

what is interesting in last full measure is that he was evidently still in some danger from some group but not to the extant that he was able on the quiet have interactions with the starfleet designers and engineers.

5. Freman

Freman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Or else Trip actually does actually die in 2161, but the records got screwed up and used the faked death scenario from ten years earlier as the real account.

6. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Or you could read some of the posts above, concerning "Last Full Measure." :vulcan:

7. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

^ Do you mean "The Good That Men Do"?

8. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

No. LFM is the book which reveals Trip's fate.

9. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Finished the book this morning, and finally read this thread. The thread was shorter, for which I thank you all.

Didn't care much for the book. It's all about trying to make the Enterprise puzzle pieces fit nicely together with the TOS puzzle pieces, and continuing the simply unbelievable Trip the Secret Agent storyline. The Voyager novel Full Circle had to do a lot of fitting of puzzle pieces together, too, but it had some character arcs that made it feel like a story instead of a lot of pieces of story. BTRW didn't really have that.

When the follow-up eventually materializes, I really hope it finishes the war in one book. And if 2011 is an Enterprise-heavy year because of the anniversary, I wouldn't mind seeing some other writers getting a shot.

10. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

If anything, Martin continued to depict Trip as being like a fish out of water in this covert ops thing.

He's not a spy, and never really was one. He was originally sent on his Romulan mission because he was a brilliant engineer capable of improvising, and because he was willing to put his neck on the line for the cause. And he was never meant to do the mission on his own, that's why he was given a real operative as a partner (Phuong).

It actually makes sense, when you look at it. Section 31 wanted two things - sabotage the Romulans' warp 7 program, and steal their research. An operative without a background in engineering wouldn't have been of much use.

11. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Trip's activities in BTRW don't really have much to do with being an engineer at all. Nor does his decision near the end of the book.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am really wanting to find out what exactly the HELL is the deal with Y'cha and Sopek/Ch'uiv.... :brickwall:

13. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

14. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sopek/Ch'uiv is going to be some kind of ace in the hole for the V'Shar. I can almost feel it in my bones that the Ejhoi Ormiin is a dissident group created by the V'Shar to try to control Romulan activities. He's probably connected up above Y'cha's pay grade though.

15. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I've picked this novel up at last. Now that I've finished "Unworthy", I'll get started on the War. :)

16. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This would make sense. Already we have (what appears to be) Minister Kuvak funneling arms to the Haakonans, who are enemies of the Romulans, under the table. Then we have what seems to be some kind of connection between Sopek's Romulan dissident group and the V'Shar's objectives (keep the Warp 7 vessel out of the Empire's control). I would be very surprised if there isn't some kind of high-level cooperation between members of the Vulcan government or the V'Shar and the Romulan dissidents.

17. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think this is an interesting idea because of what happened with Sopek and Y'Cha having some kind of agreement that fell through during their mission to the Romulan ship yards.It nakes sense something like this happeneing with rival spy agencies.

18. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, and also the fact that the Vulcans are doing everything possible to stay out of the war publicly points to this. By covertly aiding the Coalition (or Earth), there's lesser chance of the ticking time-bomb of the Vulcan-Romulan connection coming to the fore and of Vulcan taking casualties and emotional pain. I also wouldn't be surprised if the hare-brained Romulan plan to attack the Haakonans wasn't somehow insidiously implanted in the erstwhile Praetor's brain by a V'Shar agent, so that the Haakonans could be drawn into the conflict.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^It's more likely that the Vulcans new of the Praetor's pre-existing irrational animosity toward the Haakonans and exploited it by encouraging a Haakonan uprising, knowing it would divide the Romulans' attention.

20. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've just finished the book and while I did enjoy it, I do have a number of complaints.

Firstly, there wasn't actually much of the book centred on the Enterprise itself. I think there was more of a word count for Trip's activities than Mayweather's, T'Pol's and the Enterprise's combined.

Secondly, although I like the idea of the two-steps-forward-and-one-back technology it seems far too much like nuBSG for my liking instead of just chalking it up to the fact that the real-universe time-period when both were written is the only difference.

With the Andorian and Tellarite ships pulling out because they're taking heavy losses, and the Vulcans already having pulled out, it's clear why it is referred to as the Earth-Romulan war, but why is United Earth so eager to form up the Federation after this if we know our "allies" can't be trusted to have our backs? I can only guess that they finally help us drive the Romulans back and all is forgiven.

I'm hoping the Romulans were responsible for killing Surak's katra because if it was a Vulcan then I do fear for their collective sanity. And it does explain why they act the way they do in the future.

Lastly, I'd like to give this a good 7/10 and I look forward to the continuation/finale of the war in 2011.