Star Trek Continues: Episode 2 "Lolani"...

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Warped9, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

A difficult thing to defend against. And in fairness it's something I just try to overlook because what else can you do?

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The writer and producers do their best to avoid obvious screw-ups. That's all one can do, really. I'm writing a script set in 1982 and I've been watching movies and TV shows from that era and reading periodicals from the time to jumpstart my memory of the slang and idioms of the era.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Neat little podcast to listen to for some behind-the-scenes insight into making STC and "Lolani." http://trek.fm/the-ready-room/the-ready-room-132-i-am-billy-yoda.html It can be fun, too.

The STC material starts about 25:30 into the podcast and then runs for about ninety minutes.

Toward the end they do let slip some hints of what's planned for Episode 3. Apparently there will be at least a bit more humnour as well as more action than what's been seen so far. The biggest hint, though, is they've taken an idea begun in TOS but never explored in TOS or in any of the other Trek productions.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  4. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Looking forward to listening. Thanks for sharing.

Whaddya wanna bet it's remote brain transplantation? :lol:

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The crowd in the podcast joke around and start throwing around "bombs" like the Gorgon and Tribbles and other silly things.

6. doubleohfive

Well tribbles have been revisited in TAS, Star Trek III, DS9, and Into Darkness, so the joke is somewhat questionable there. Too, David "One Hit Wonder" Gerrold is allegedly working on --wait for it-- a tribbles episode for Phase II.

Maybe Continues third episode will involve the Yonada?

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

There's a lot of room for interpretation. "An idea" doesn't necessarily mean revisiting something we've seen before. And candidly I hope that's what it is. "Lolani" took "an idea" from TOS and fleshed it out a bit and in a way that didn't feel mired in the past.

What "Lolani" did felt much fresher than "Pilgrim Of Eternity." I hope they continue that approach rather than just revisiting previous characters and stories.

8. doubleohfive

Oh I tend to agree.

9. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

10. doubleohfive

For those interested, Vic Mignogna is part of a round table wrap up over at Mission Log: A Roddenberry Podcast covering the podcast series' completion of the original series.

The episode, "Supplemental 013: The One With Almost Everyone" is now available to stream or download here.

11. doubleohfive

In what way? I've been listening to it on and off all day and it seems like they are just really passionate about the subject matter. That's hardly any reason to declare they were "going over the top."

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  12. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The ideal instance of '60's minority casting was Greg Morris on "Mission Impossible". He wasn't the black gadget guy, he was just the gadget guy. But when an episode came up where racial matters were to be addressed he was already there as an audience-accepted cast member.

13. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A little bit of hype should always be expected during these kinds of interviews(this IS show business, after all). But, MAN! these guys made Stan Lee look like a wallflower in comparison...:)

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

If you're a TOS fan then here's a neat podcast. The podcast is called The Final TOS Wrap-up With Almost Everyone. It has Michael & Denise Okuda and later Vic Mignogna talking about TOS and some Trek in general: http://www.missionlogpodcast.com/supplemental

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  15. doubleohfive

We'll have to agree to disagree. All I heard were a couple of guys really enthusiastic about the project they're working on, sharing their insights to how and why they did what they did. And not to nitpick, but I don't know that I'd call a fan film "show business" in the strictest sense (at least in the sense you're trying to use.)

Your mileage may vary of course, but that's how I interpreted it. :shrug:

16. doubleohfive

Look up thread, about two or three posts. ;)

17. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Well, it was the 1960s (and he wasn't an Asian woman) so he wouldn't be smooching with anyone non-black - similar to what Star Trek was doing at the time. I understand that some (white) viewers even had issues with Morris being in close proximity to Barbara Bain, according to an article I vaguely remember reading somewhere.

If he - Morris - was just the 'gadget guy' why would he be the 'go to' guy for any racial matters that suddenly arose? (Kind of a contradiction).

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

20. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

That is awesome!