(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

12 minutes to go and it's 2-2 on aggregate. Has O'Neil messed it all up once again? Hmmm...

2. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Haha, unbelievable, I honestly never ever would have thought that's possible. :lol:
    Though if Villa had played like that in the first leg already they would have advanced for sure.

Anyway, this victory is huge for Rapid, biggest international success since 1996, and the first time ever an Austrian club kicked out an English one. :)

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

As I said to my Villa supporting mate last night, given how tired they got towards the end of last season exiting this early might prove to be a blessing in disguise...

4. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, to qualify we had to play in Kazakhstan and now two games on Madeira. We certainly do get around (Funchal and Aktobe are 6300 km apart!).

[​IMG]

Good luck beating HSV, Roger Wilco. :techman:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  5. Roger Wilco

Thanks, good luck beating fucking Austria Wien, Iasius. :D

It was hilarious how happy the officials from Bremen appeared to be when Austria was drawn in their group. :lol:
    But they probably were by far the weakest team from pot2.

I'm super happy with Rapid's group, will be great fun for sure, whatever happens, and I'll do everything I can to get a ticket in Hamburg.

6. HappyDayRiot

Apparently Vienna and Celtic have some kind of history together?

All I know is Fulham are going to get caned but Everton will have a good chance of getting out of their group as well.

7. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know about that, but HSV and Rangers apparently have a Fanfreundschaft (an official good relationship between their respective fan groups, I don't know the equivalent English term), as have Celtic and the local (2nd league) rivals of St. Pauli in Hamburg.

Should be interesting.

8. Roger Wilco

Oh yeah. :devil:

Unfortunately I'm too young to have seen it live, but the game(s) against Celtic 1984/85 are legendary, an important part of Rapid's history. It was a year when Rapid had a very strong team (they got into the Cup Winner's Cup final where they lost to Everton) that played several other legendary matches too - like winning 5:0 at home against Dynamo Dresden after losing 3:0 away!; and apparently Celtic did too (at least their fans claim, they'd have won the cup if it weren't for us cheating bastards :D)

So Rapid won the first leg at home 3:1; and after that the stories differ.
    - According to Celtic fans, in the second leg Celtic was ahead 3:0 already after playing a furious offensive game and deservedly was on their way of advancing to the next round when one Rapid player dived to the ground feigning injury, claiming something hit him and Rapid cheated their way into a repeat match on neutral ground (in Manchester) which Rapid ended up winning by sheer luck after Celtic had hit the goal bars a number of times already. So according to them, basically Rapid stole Celtic's European trophy. :D

- According to Rapid fans, Celtic was ahead 3:0 only because the referee was completely on their side, and let them do whatever the fuck they wanted, playing extremely brutal, that the crowd was making trouble all throughout the game (in a way that's far worse btw than what happened recently at West Ham, and that's pretty clear from the videos imo); and Rudi Weinhofer was hit by a whiskey bottle to his head - not the first such incident. In the match in Manchester then, the atmosphere again was extremely loaded and violent against the Rapid players (no Viennese fans dared to go there openly...) check out this video for example, but a brilliant strike by Peter Pacult - the current Rapid coach! - saved the day and Rapid went on to reach the finals.

Take your pick which side you believe. ;)

9. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jesus Christ, how many teams does this competition need?

The sooner they go back to the old European Cup, UEFA Cup and Cup Winners' Cup formats the better.

10. HappyDayRiot

At least now it's more balanced. Having 5 or 6 teams in a group and not playing in a round-robin format was just rubbish. And this will make the transistion into the next round much easier, as 50% of those teams will be gone and only 8 will be added.

I'm looking forward to Vienna v Celtic now - one thing I love about football is the fans' ability to hold a grudge for all eternity and constantly seek vengeance for a defeat. You just don't get that in any other sport, not to the same degree or intensity.

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

When does Capello name his squad ?

12. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

Something nobody cares about :
    The PSG is 2nd of the French ligue 1 (actually tied with the 1st and 3rd).
    Yeah \o/ ! Pity that will certainly not last a long time :lol:

*start to dance something that should be a salsa if she was not such a bad dancer*

13. HappyDayRiot

Goalkeepers: Foster (Manchester United), Green (West Ham), Robinson (Blackburn)
    Defenders: Johnson (Liverpool), Brown (Manchester United), Upson (West Ham), Terry (Chelsea, capt), Lescott (Manchester City), A Cole (Chelsea), Bridge (Chelsea)
    Midfielders: Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Lennon (Tottenham), Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Barry (Manchester City), Lampard (Chelsea), Carrick (Manchester United), Gerrard (Liverpool), A Young (Aston Villa), Milner (Aston Villa)
    Strikers: Rooney (Manchester United), Heskey (Aston Villa), Defoe (Tottenham), C Cole (West Ham), Crouch (Tottenham).

There we go. No surprises really - Capello's clearly not impressed by Owen and Lennon definitely deserves to be there.

Carrie, I won't lie, I didn't even know the French leagues had started yet :alienblush: I'm normally good with keeping up with most of the European leagues but I completely missed this! PSG came 6th or 7th last year didn't they - are they going one better this year and going for Europe?

14. Shaytan

Ligue 1 always starts on the 1st week end of August.

PSG ended 6th last year and yes we're hoping they're going for at least the UEFA cup since they've nothing better to do this season :lol:

Edited to add :
    tonight Marseille vs Bordeaux (the 2 favorite teams this year): 0 -0

15. Roger Wilco

What happened to Lyon, didn't they win the title 10 times in a row or something?

16. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Seven in a row I believe. It was quite fun last season with both Lyon and Bayern failing to win their respective leagues.

Marseille look strong this year after narrowly missing out last season.

17. Shaytan

7 in a row.
    They're 3rd right now but...hmmm...nobody cares about Lyon :lol: except the Lyonnais of course.

18. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Eduardo gets banned for two games for diving, like a bitch, against Celtic. Further disgracing the team over the weekend was Eboue who insisted on shamefully diving against ManU, even when it was common knowledge that Eduardo was possibly facing a ban. How weak is that.

While it would be nice to see UEFA be consistent and start banning others for diving - I don't know if anyone saw Ronaldino's in the Milan derby this weekend, although the league governing body decides that I suppose - it's clear that perhaps they are wisening up and saying enough is enough. It's nice though that they started with Arsenal who have been disgracing the game for years now with their blatant dives and SCREAMING LIKE WOMEN when they are tackled. It's also been great to see those leaping to the defense of these cheating disgraces that play in Northern London, always good to see where people stand.

Next up, Drogba, Ronaldo, the list goes on. Hopefully. Let's get this bullshit out of the game.

19. Roger Wilco

It's strange. Certainly a good thing if UEFA starts punishing players for this bullshit, but it really seems arbitrary to ban Eduardo now, especially since the dive was rather meaningless to the outcome of the game.
    And it's only ever been done once before, also apparently because of Gordon Smith, he seems to have quite a bit of influence in the UEFA.

Anyway, if it's done regularly from now on - great; but if they only ban a player every two years it doesn't seem fair.

20. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

I don't think whether or not it has any relevance to the outcome of the game should matter - it should just focus on the actual act of the dive itself. If the guy dove, then punish him. Hopefully he won't do it again, or if he does, increase the suspension for being a repeat offender.

Agreed. I want to see consistency.

What I'd prefer even more than a suspension would be a fine of 2 weeks wages - hit them in the wallet, that would hopefully make them think twice before flopping around like a retarded salmon.