‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I understand what you are saying. But what's wrong with criticizing the approach? If that's the reason why it didn't connect for an audience member, isn't it a valid criticism?

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

The thinking though is that it would have gotten a direct sequel right away instead of a Batman team-up if it had been more successful.

3. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm still waiting for History of the World, Part II. Just sayin'. ;)

MOS was everything I expected it to be (because I read spoilers), but it wasn't necessarily the movie I wanted. That doesn't make it bad, it just makes it different. I think BvS will tie up a lot of loose ends. Not because fans demand it, but because it's the next chapter in the story.

One thing is for sure: It's going to be a loooong year and a half until the premiere.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah probably. Although it's also very clear that WB is desperate to get started on Justice League and their own team-up movies, so it's very possible that they would have pushed to include Batman even if MOS made a zillion dollars at the box office (the only difference would be that Batman's name probably wouldn't have been in the title).

I mean, whether it was called MOS2 or BvS, they were obviously going to start pushing forward their DC shared universe in the next movie.

5. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

It was in the works not long after they finished MOS according the Wiki page for Supeman V Batman.

[/LEFT]

6. Agent Richard07

Here's more from that interview...

Maybe they did think of this early on but the answer he gave about what was next is all over the place and noncommittal.

7. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Well WB has wanted a Batman Superman film for awhile. They canned the original Batman/Superman film back in 08 when they decided not to make a sequel to Superman Returns. The decision coming after TDK and Iron Man 1 hit at the box office. The plan was:
    Batman Begins in 05
    Superman Returns in 06
    The Dark Knight in 08
    The Man of Steel in 09 (Christmas)
    Batman/Superman in 2012

Now that WB has MOS and were satisfied with the BO and feedback. They probably have no issue streamrolling a Batman v Superman film at us next. Since there are no plans to do ANOTHER Batman reboot so soon.

8. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

It's clear I think that they had Batman in mind, but Warner Brothers was obviously spurred by the success of the Avengers movie andd needed to introduce as many heroes as possible in one movie before they made the JLA movie.

9. Agent Richard07

Interesting. Were they going to do a movie with Routh and Bale?

10. davejames

I'm sure they would have liked to, but I seriously doubt Bale would have been up for it.

And the Nolan Batman movies are even less compatible with SR than they would have been with MOS, so I have to wonder just how likely any of that really was.

11. M.A.C.O.

Yes, that was the plan. Idk how it would've worked though. You can read what Bryan Singer's MOS plan was here.
    http://screenrant.com/bryan-singer-superman-man-steel-brainiac-storyline-rob-91933/

Although earlier this year, Singer told Empire Magazine Darkseid was his planned villain.
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=93794

12. Agent Richard07

^ I read the outline in that first link a while back. It sounds great as a Superman movie but I agree that it would have been hard to reconcile with the first two Nolan films. What they're doing now is shaping up better.

I could see Man of Steel fitting in with Nolan's movies though. The trilogy happens, then an alien threat shows up? It works, though it does undermine the ending of Rises.

13. M.A.C.O.

Another image of Tao Okamoto
    [​IMG]

Rumor is she is playing Mercy Graves; Lex Luthor's bodyguard. But it would be SO MUCH BETTER if she was cast as Kimiyo Hoshi/Doctor Light II.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I mean Batman v Superman is already building toward Justice League. Might as well throw in Dr Light too. It's great for female representation and diversity (since Kimiyo is Japanese in the comics as well).

14. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course Snyder is going to say including Batman in the sequel was the plan all along. Do you really think he'd say, "Uhh, we just included him because WB wanted to make more money"? :lol:

15. davejames

I'm fine with adding in another female superhero, but I think there are probably much better choices out there.

16. Agent Richard07

That did occur to me.

17. M.A.C.O.

Filling the JL roster with female superheroes, off the top of my head:

Vixen
    Zatanna
    Dr. Light II
    Element Woman
    Stargirl
    Black Canary
    Hawkgirl

Dr. Light and Zatanna would be the biggest 2 I'd want to see in a JLA movie.

18. Agent Richard07

They could save Supergirl for the actual sequel.

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

How so?

20. davejames

SR takes place in a much more romanticized, comic booky world than the grounded, hard-edged Nolan movies. By like a huge margin.

And I don't think you can get away with simply saying "well, it's Gotham, so of course it's more hard-edged." In comparison MOS at least feels like it takes place in the same basic universe.