April 2013 challenge - Obsessions and Addictions

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by jespah, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Well, congratulations, Cobalt Frost! :) You may choose the theme for next month's contest. Don't forget to post your story in the winning entries thread.

2. Cobalt Frost

Cobalt Frost Captain Captain

Cobalt Frost in Phineas & Ferb's backyard
    For some reason, I thought the contest ran until the 31st. But I'll take it :D ! I hope y'all enjoyed my entry; I'll have the June challenge topic up presently.

3. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

:)

Yay and congrats!!

4. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Congratulations!

SCIENTIST: Well, Homer, I guess you're the winner by default.

HOMER: Default? Woo hoo! The two sweetest words in the English language: De-fault! De-fault! De-fault!

5. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Congratulations!

Well, I couldn't get the rest of the story out. I wanted to put Sisko in danger of losing Jake and dealing with the repercussions from that. The story was that Jake was taken hostage by one of the colonists on Solosos III, since it's stated that no evacuation had taken place before Sisko made the planet uninhabitable for humans (For the Uniform). Sisko is accountable for killing the man's wife by launching the torpedoes at the planet. Consequences for that decision. To be honest, I want consequences for him to just go back to being hero the next week. The story is that the man had farmed the land for 50 years as a part of a colony separate from the Maquis and wasn't even involved in the politics. This story takes place during the 5th season of DS9 (before Blaze of Glory). He sees his wife every night when he sleeps and it drives him insane with anger.

This is supposed to mirror Ben's struggle with Jennifer's death as well. I had some flashbacks planned to see when Jake was born and and when Ben was assigned to the Saratoga and asks Jennifer to come along. This would've been the tug-at-your-heartstrings over the fact that Ben feels, in losing Jake, he has lost all of what's left of Jennifer. That his decisions in the uniform--to take the posting on the Saratoga, launching the torpedoes at Solosos III--had taken what was left of his family. He confesses, and this is the razor's edge, that he knew he could and wanted to kill this man for taking Jake, something he could never do the borg, but there's some transference there. He could've, but Jake stops him, as Ben had successfully rescued him. Instead he takes him into custody as the man is a Federation citizen.

But my eyes outpaced my stomach on this story. I couldn't get it right.

6. Sandoval

Thus rendering the rest of your post completely irrelevant since you didn't...

"Sorry sir, but this is what I WOULD HAVE written if I'd turned up to the final exam."

7. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm sorry. I'm still new, is that a problem? I have no intention of writing the story now.

8. Count Zero

No, it's not a problem.

9. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

Angry Fanboy

I wonder if you couldn't rework your story idea to fit with this month's challenge? Perhaps work some sort of "blaze of glory" style ending where a character must sacrifice themselves? :)

10. Sandoval

Seven days. Prompt moderating there...

11. Count Zero

Surprisingly, I do have a life apart from this board.

If you have issues with the way the forum is moderated take it to PM.