Did uncle Owen know that Anakin became Darth Vader?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Immolatus, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

Did uncle Owen know that Anakin became Darth Vader? I don't think anyone other than Palps and a few others (yoda, ben etc...) knew anakin became a sith lord. But Uncle Owen sure was afraid for his boy when he showed interest in becoming a pilot. do you think he knew?

2. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think he knew that his brother went off with Obi-Wan as a pilot and "died" in the war. He was just concerned Luke would die too.

3. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

I doubt he knew he was Vader, but he knew he was a whiny bitch who slaughtered sandpeople women and children and that he got himself killed.

4. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

So Owen was Anakin's brother?

5. JonathonWally

Step

Did you not see Attack of the Clones?

6. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

yeah, but i really don't remember it that well, saw it in the theater a long time ago

i'm not too knowledgeable about star wars, it confuses me with all the republic political stuff

7. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spoiler Alert! :mad:

8. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was under the impression that Obi-Wan told Owen everything. I'm pretty sure Beru might have not know the whole picture. Hence:
    "He has too much of his father in him"
    "That's what I'm afraid of"
    And Own not allowing him to be trained as a jedi or go off to the academy.

9. JonathonWally

I had always just assumed that Anakin and Padme were on Tataoone for a while during AotC and Anakin and Owen had more interaction that just what was on screen.

10. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Owen obviously had contact with Obi-Wan on Tatooine since he knew all about "Old Ben" the hermit and tried to delay Luke from running off to find him and fulfill his destiny. That, plus his obvious concern for Luke becoming like Anakin (Klieg Lars had no problem with killing Sandpeople, whom he considered animals, so his son probably didn't either and wouldn't have a problem with Anakin getting revenge on them) leads me to believe that Obi-Wan had been secretly keeping in touch with him to monitor Luke's upbringing and protect him and had told him what had happened to Anakin.

11. Orcus

Orcus Captain Captain

All of the above points sound good to me: Owen would have to be a bit naive not to suspect anything and Obi-wan, by this stage, would know the danger of letting a suspicious person leap to their own conclusions...

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Really, the six movies has about as much consistant contnuity between them as an enture season of Voyager.

13. Lets say... yes, he knew. The dark look in ANH makes sense.

14. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Someone just hands you a baby...

Obi Wan "This is your step brother's son. His mother died giving birth to him."

Owen :confused:: "What happened to Anakin?"

Obi: "I cut 3 of this limbs off and left him to burn to death on a lava planet."

Owen :wtf:: "Umm...yeah...say, you aren't planning on sticking around these parts are you?"

Obi: "Yes, actually, I'd like to keep in touch regarding the boy. "

Owen: "Uh...okay. Property is real cheap over by the Jundland Wastes."

Obi: "Are there many people there? I'd like to keep a low profile."

Beru: "Well, there's some sand...[Owen nudges her] but, uh...no people. :shifty:"

[Obi-Wan leaves.]

Owen: "You nearly blew it! Look, if that psycho gets himself killed by sand people, we won't have to worry about him corrupting this child."

Beru: "But he seemed like a nice man.

Owen: "Shut-up, bitch and make me a womp-rat pie."

15. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's mentioned somewhere on one of the commentaries/documentaries that the exchange below wasn't meant to imply that Owen knew. At least, it wasn't originally written with that intent.

But I do agree that it does make the exchange much more meaningful if you do assume that Owen knows, and there's nothing in the movie to say that he doesn't. So yeah, let's go with him knowing. :)

16. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My assumption was that Owen thought Anakin was just another Jedi who died in the purges--he didn't know that he became Darth Vader.

And we can't really use anything in Star Wars to support later movies. Darth Vader wasn't Luke's father in the original movie. Owen was just concerned that Luke would run off, try to be a hero, and get himself killed. Just like his father.

17. jep316

jep316 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If Owen did know why use Skywalker as Luke's last name?,of course that's one of those big plot holes that Lucas created with the new movies.

18. Sledder

Sledder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For all we know Skywalker is the Smith of that galaxy.

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Lucas made the entire series up as he went along. There's gaps and nonsense in all of the movies. Watch ANH, does it really seem like in that movie Lucas intended for Luke and Leia to be brother and sister? Does it REALLY seem like Lucas intedend for Darth Vader to be Luke's father?

Then he goes and makes the prequels and, oy! Lucas can't write a consistant story for shit, he's just a good marketer is all.

20. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watched Star Wars again recently and the "blue milk" scene takes on an entirely different life knowing what we know about the prequels. It's one of the few scenes in the OT that benefits from the prequels being around.