You're the Editor: 2017

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ryan123450, Nov 27, 2015.

1. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking back, I was surprised to find that we haven't done this for almost two years. Many of you might remember doing this several times in the past...

The schedule for 2016 is already known. Now pretend you are the TrekLit editor for 2017. What books do you publish? No story ideas, but just a general series/setting. In my version I'm also including a bimonthly ebook line.

January

• Series 7 Prequel Novel
    • The Original Series: Pike Early Voyages continuation ebook
    February

• Voyager: Full Circle, Book 9 by Kirsten Beyer
    March

• Section 31: Control by David Mack
    • The Next Generation: post-Prey ebook
    April

• Titan: post-Prey story
    May

• Enterprise: Rise of the Federation, Book 5 by CLB
    • The Original Series: Enterprise-A ebook by Greg Cox
    June

• Deep Space Nine: post-Ascendance duology
    July

• Deep Space Nine: post-Ascendance duology
    • The Original Series: Pike Early Voyages continuation ebook 2
    August

• The Original Series: something off the beaten track (not an Enterprise mission)
    September

• Series 7 tie in novel
    • DTI: Short Story 3 ebook by CLB
    October

• The Next Generation: post-Prey story
    November

• Klingon Empire, Book 2 by KRAD
    • New Frontier: post-The Returned ebook by PAD
    December

• The Next Generation: Data story

2. Nathan

Nathan Commander Red Shirt

I would shit-can the DTI series, we've had enough books based on trying to tie in every episode, book, and comic together.

Would like to see another Lost Era set of books.

Also, would like a series with ships like the Archer Class and the Endeavor, but instead of Planet o' Week stories, rather have it more HBO-esque/Gritty and serialized instead of it being so aesthetically clean with disinfectant type characters.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see Vaughn Armstrong try his hand at writing a Trek novel. With all the characters he's played, I'm sure he's got a unique insight on the Trek 'verse.

Oh, and more Andrew Robinson novels. Not only is "A Stitch In Time" a great one, but I love the fact that he doesn't use a ghost writer. :techman:

4. Elias Vaughn

Elias Vaughn Captain Captain

I'd invent a new month and greenlight thirteen DS9 books. Several will be dedicated to Elias Vaughn coming back.

In other news, I would be a terrible editor.

Jinn likes this.
  5. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Funny: I've considered the DTI novels to be the best thing that's happened to ST literature in a long time.

I'd put an end to this e-book-only bovine scat. Once and for all.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually neither of the DTI e-books takes that approach.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is that just because you don't read e-books, or do you have some other objection to them? I love that they are doing e-book stories. It's a great way to get some shorter Trek stories since they no longer do the anthologies. It also gets us a few more stories in each year outside of the regular 12 novels.
    My 2017 schedule:
    January: TNG Post Prey novel by David Mack with more material for Faur, Elfiki, and Den
    February: DS9 post Ascendance novel by someone other than DRG III, new DTI: novella By CLB
    March: post Pocket Full of Lies VOY novel by Kirsten Beyer
    April: first novel in an ongoing serialized TOS series set between The Final Frontier and The Undiscovered Country with Saavik and some new recurring lower decks characters by Greg Cox
    June: Titan novel by James Swallow, Ent short story anthology
    July: 2nd Post- Prey TNG novel
    August: unundecided novel, 1st novella in new e-book series focused on world building for major races, like Vulcan's, Klingons, Romulans humans ect. focusing on Kigons by KRAD
    Sept: Rise of the Federation book 5 by CLB
    Oct: 2nd TFF - TUC TOS novel by undecided author
    Nov: Seekers book 5 by David Mack
    Dec: Seekers book 6 by Wardilmore
    focusing on Cardassiansby Una McCormack

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  8. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2017 would be the year of TNG's thirtieth (they grow up so fast), so I think this should be a heavy 24th century year.

January - Post-Prey TNG novel, probably Dayton Ward's Headlong Flight, since we already have that established as coming at some point in 2017.

February - Post-Pocketful of Lies Voyager novel by Kirsten Beyer, since it'll have been a year-ish since the last one.

March - DS9 novel, one by Una McCormack. I liked The Missing, I'd like to see her return to the setting. Ideally, I'd like to see the Aventine play a part, check in with Dax after The Fall. Plus I don't really think that Ro and Dax had much interaction back in the days, and I'd like to see that dynamic play out some.

April - Titan novel, undecided author. I'd like to see Titan's authorship open up again, like it was in the early days, though I'm not against it being James Swallow's domain, follow up on some of the elements he introduced in Sight Unseen.

May - TOS novel, preferably an Enterprise-A tale by Greg Cox. Novel-wise, this is a fairly untapped area, and he's already dipped his toes in this setting.

June - TNG/Titan novel by John Jackson Miller, something in the same vein as Takedown, in that it's a team-up of the two ships.

July - Klingon Empire novel by KRAD. I've been pushing for the Kinshaya story about Klag's promotion for years now, and I don't care if it's a pipe dream at best, this is about what I want, so there.

August - Rise of the Federation #5 by CLB.

September/October/November - Multi-author anniversary trilogy for TNG. Going into my preferred idea for this probably veers into story ideas, but something suitably celebratory seems fitting.
    Also, I'd like to see a trade release of the Slings and Arrows series. I know that would normally take up a slot in the usual monthly schedule, but it's an anniversary year, let's do something fancy.

December - Pike era TOS novel. I just like the idea of seeing the TOS we almost had.

At least, that'd be my ideal.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Twice, recently! :)

10. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

James, things that are e-book only right now literally wouldn't exist if they weren't. It's not a choice of "e-book or print" that Pocket Books makes with those, it's "e-book or don't print it at all", because they're used to fill out the printing schedule for smaller works that wouldn't be cost-effective to make in print. Cutting the e-book line would result in fewer works, not more printed works.

11. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dear God, if an ongoing Enterprise-A series project were announced by Greg or some other author, I'd probably black out instantly from all the sheer awesome.

12. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think more Enterprise-A is the most desired frontrunner. Margaret! Are you listening!?

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, if they did it as a Trade, I think that would be separate from the main MMPB a month schedule.

14. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. I think a significant lack of stories from that particular era over these past several years has truly created a new, unexpected hunger for them that wasn't there before, necessarily.

And Greg's recent tales have only stoked that hunger, not just for the TOS movie era in general, but for the Enterprise-A time period specifically. There's still a great deal of interesting territory there just waiting to be explored.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  15. Mr. Laser Beam

I don't know where our own Nerys Ghemor has been lately, but I'd love it if she could get her Sigils and Unions and Catacombs of Oralius material novelized.

16. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

I know I say this *every* time this type of thread comes up... but I would contract D.C. Fontana to write that Secret of Vulcan Fury novelization, assuming she is still interested.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but... Ms. Fontana is 76 this year. Unfortunately, time waits for no one, and there's always the possibility that if this doesn't happen soon-ish, it won't happen ever.

I will admit, I have no idea what potential IP pitfalls there may be with Interplay. But I would really like this story to see the light of day.

17. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would ask for a re-think on the new restrictions placed on Titan's remit.

And lots more DS9.;)

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Which are?

19. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd shit-can the current 24th century continuity and start doing books set in those shows' timeframes.

20. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

These I would love to see!!!!

Often thought of dabbling with a little fanfic carrying on the Early Voyages comics as I love the premise and characters.

Plus July is my birthday month, so that'd be a huge perk :)