Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jun 16, 2011.

?

How would you grade Green Lantern?

Poll closed Jan 2, 2012.
  1. A+

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. A

7 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. A-

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. B+

20 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. B

18 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. B-

23 vote(s)
    16.2%
  7. C+

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  8. C

15 vote(s)
    10.6%
  9. C-

13 vote(s)
    9.2%
  10. D+

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  11. D

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  13. F

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why? I was hoping they would use the Manhunters in this film.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got the impression that they may not be dwarfs.

That their bodies, torsos, legs went al the way to the ground thousands and thousands of feet down.... They may not even have legs... If their bodies are that massively lengthy, then perhaps they are more like snakes than bipedals?

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Who are you talking about? :confused:

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Ha ha, I think he's talking about those long flowing robes the Guardians had.

5. Guy Gardener

The Guardians of the Universe. Obnoxious people like Guy Gardner often refer to the Guardians as "Dwarfs" or even sometimes "Smurfs".

That tower they're 'perched upon.

OH!

What if their snake like bodies are not just hundreds of feet long, but millions of miles long and their bodies and tails are coiled and spun around one another like the universe largest ball of flesh yarn to consist the subsistency of the world of Oa.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Heh, Rockne S. O'Bannon has nothing on you in going far left :guffaw:

7. Guy Gardener

Left?

A dozen Immortals with their bodies wrapped around one another interlocking and interlacing, frotaging upon a trillion points of contact hardly knowing who and which one of them is stroking and massaging the other... Oa is not just the name of the planet, "Oa" is the noise they make as they cum whensoever one of these entities climax during the course of their 1/2 million year long so far, perhaps never ending orgy.

Left?

They're all dudes.

8. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Okay...that was bad.

9. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

C-

That was very pretty to look at, but overall disappointin'.

And the mid-credit bonus scene pissed me off more than anything else...

10. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Makes little sense since the evil is alreay defeated.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Makes all the sense in the world, for Sinestro.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

What, stay away from a bunch of robots killing everybody?

If we know anything about the current generation of young moviegoers, it's that they'll turn out in droves to see robots smashing things up and killing people.

Let the Manhunters be Sinestro's troops. :lol:

13. HoneyBLilly

HoneyBLilly Commodore Commodore

I gave it a C- . . . I was feeling generous.

It was just bad, really really bad.

I wish they had done the black Green Lantern, not that it would have fixed the content much, but it might have been more enjoyable to watch.

It also doesn't help that my husband and I got into an argument on the way back from the theatre because he decided that Sinestro was like The Watchers from Marvel, in other words he mixed up universes . . . again.

14. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

A big meh from me

I'm no Lantern expert and have only basic knowledge about them so i can't judge comic/movie parallels and won't but the movie itself felt very disjointed to me.

I know that setup movies are notoriously very difficult to make and for that i'm giving them much leeway but this movie failed to rise above mediocrity. Parallax was kinda disappointing.. we never see why Fear is so potent with it and instead we just see it pulling "souls" from people and devouring them.

I also didn't buy Hal's supposed strength, i.e. to overcome fear, for a moment.. it just wasn't well written and if the script isn't that good no high quality actor can pull something good out of it (see Natalie Portman in Star Wars for example).

It was pretty to look at, Blake Lively was hot and i loved the first scene between her and the Lantern where she sees right through and recognizes him.. a big dig at all superhero movies where we are supposed to believe that mere glasses/half-masks or a different voice makes you unrecognizable to people that know you or work closely with you.

It remains to be seen if the financial success will be high enough to warrant a sequel.. i'm guessing it will but it'll be a long time until something falls together so well like it did with Nolan's Batman movies.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

It took something like, what, five years for the second Hulk movie? When all is said and done the gap between Superman movies will be even bigger.

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah to be honest I didn't find the Sinestro scene at the end to be nearly as jarring as others did. It WAS his idea to craft a yellow ring of power after all, and we DID see him butting heads with the Guardians earlier.

Besides, I didn't get the feeling this was him going "Aha! I'm going to be Evil now!!" The way I read the scene, and from his reaction, it was more him simply being curious about what this ring could do.... and then surprised as it takes him over the way it does.

Not to mention the fact this could have been 5 or 6 months in the future for all we know.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

All true.

My only problem with that scene is that the outfit looks terrible in yellow.:lol: Maybe they need to rethink the palette some - there has to be a way of shading these things or texturing them in such a way that they're less "flat" looking.

Besides that...I mean, seriously:

[​IMG]

18. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

The Incredible Hulk was a reboot, not a sequel to Hulk.

And the next Superman movie will be another reboot, not a sequel to Superman Returns.

Are ya expectin' a reboot for Green Lantern to happen?

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Did you ever think you'd see a day when a movie makes $80 million worldwide in 6 days and be considered a failure? :lol:

RAMA

20. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, it was called Superman Returns ;)