Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Oh these pictures in the link are excellent! I was referring more to some scenes in the first two movies where the effects do look dated. Some of them, many more, still look great than not but with films where one of them is over 30 years old it is to be expected but they still work real real well.

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

the most dated shots in the first two films are the ones where only blue screen was used, because the background city-scapes look like blurry helicopter fly-bys.

One of my favorite shots is Superman's first dart upwards to get the helicopter in the first film. Old-fashioned, with a great cut that actually adds to the momentum of the scene. It looks convincing today. More importantly, it's a fun shot, with a lot of energy.

3. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'd take all the flying shots from the first two movies over Superman Returns anyday. Reeve on wires was much more convincing than the fake looking CGI Superman in Returns.

5. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought beaker's post was sarcastic until I saw his username. Because slantwise flying followed by Supes obviously being lowered from above is so persuasive.

6. Gojira

Superman catching the helicopter is my favorite scene and never grows old.

I think the shots that look poor and dated to me are in Superman II when he is flying across the ocean and then into Paris to rescue Lois.

It improves when he flies up through the Eiffel Tower to rescue Lois but right before that it looks bad to me.

7. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And that was from 'Quest for Peace'! Even in a crappy movie, some of the wirework was good.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  8. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Yep, it makes a big difference. Just having a belt would make it better. I love the one on the bottom right.

9. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yummy times 2:);)

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

11. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

12. Gojira

But the one on the bottom right is just the same old typical Superman suit...boring. Time for something new.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

There's nothing shaky cam couldn't ruin.

That's what she said.

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I find it funny.

In the late 90's all these Superman movie idea's were being pinched from a dozen directors. Most of the ideas were non traditional

-A Superman that doesn't fly
    -Knives
    -Lex Luthor FBI agent
    - Suit in a can
    -Krypton surviving
    -Jar Jar binks type character

Then Superman Returns comes out. It was basically doing things safely/by the book. No homicidal Superman or polar bears.

The only backlash was that Superman was seen as a stalker.

I'd post a clip from the special but it's not on youtube. I think it's on the "Superman Returns" dvd.

Now we're at "Man of Steel" which was bold enough to change the suit drastically and is moving away from Donner Superman elements.

It's too early to tell if this movie will be a blend of 'by the book' elements or be totally out there.

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The bottom right isn't the "same old" but tweaked in detail. It looks fine as an update of a design that isn't broken. The new one is just to show how kewl and avant they are. :rolleyes: And I'm really hating that dark and faded blue---looks awful.

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Even though I know he's on wires, it's still such a convincing effect-- and so much closer to the real thing than CGI-- that I never grow tired of watching it. It helps that Reeve sold it so well with his graceful takeoffs and landings.

The only aspect I think SR did better was having the more fluttery cape when he's flying at superspeed.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

One of the things I liked about him flying in SR is the depiction of his speed including the sonic boom he creates.

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I will have to give SR another look sometime, but I never cared at all for Brandon Routh as Superman or Clark. There is just something about his appearance that doesn't work at all for me.

19. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I think this technique from back to the future part 2 would be interesting to use

As the car passes the light post the model is transitioned to the real car

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I am going to go back in time to 1987 and post a thread about the new upcoming TNG unforms.