Next movie, let the woman wear pants.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Dusty Ayres, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's a cultural bias that may not apply by the 23rd Century.

2. TheJosmo

TheJosmo Lieutenant Red Shirt

I say, sexy is fine in moderation. But after a while, tight leather suits and barely-there bikinis get a little old. When people are trying too hard to bring hotness into a movie or show, it gets pretty bad. Sure, Taylor Lautner looks okay, but running around shirtless for half of New Moon with his bajillion ab muscles gets ridiculous. Subtlety is sexy, and bringing out the big guns should be for special occasions.

That being said, let the girls wear their miniskirts, but let's add some variety. If Kirk can get away with wearing that ugly green shirt thing, and McCoy can wear that shiny blue t-shirt, than the ladies should have the option of sharp-looking leggings, or something like that.

3. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

I think opposite....never gets old me me. :bolian:
    Considering the nonsence the FCC did with their decentcy crusade, I'll take all I can see. :p

4. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Personally, I see those uniforms as being far more unprofessional. You're there to be a nurse, not to run around in an antiquated and vaguely fetishized costume designed to draw attention to the fact that you happen to have a vagina.

5. Sabataage

Sabataage Commander Red Shirt

Look at those nurses there. Wearing dresses... just flaunting their vaginas at us! How obscene! Once she's done looking at that patient's chart I'm going to give her a piece of my mind!

OT: Men used to wear skirts in public: they were called tunicas, togas, and kilts, and they wore them everywhere, even at war. These were the manliest of men, wearing what by today's standards ammounts to a dress. Modern men, decidedly cannot wear the same type of clothing... except if their scottish, at a frat party, or in the privacy of their own home. A lot of straight guys out there secretly, subconsciously dream of wearing something not unlike what Zoe Saldana wears in Star Trek.

6. The Castellan

Well, I also like transgirls, too....so there might NOT be a vagina there. :D

Anyhow, I know a hot blonde in LA who's a nurse, and she'd probably love it since she often wearings Victoria's Secret lingerie under the scrubs all the time. So she's probably dig that idea of the skirt uniforms. She always liked being sexy as she worked.

She'd probably be the nurse in a micro skirt, stockings and F-me heels if it were up to her. I'll need to tell her I don't feel so well if I ever go to LA.

7. Sci

Remind me not to get her as my nurse, thankyew. I want someone who's actually focused on the job, not trying to look hot.

8. Rhionnach

Rhionnach Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

If you look in the background you will see that there are a number of women wearing trousers.

Personally, I'm hoping for a few ripped shirts.:rommie:

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

^ You'll fit right in. :techman:

10. Wynterhawk

Wynterhawk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Considering Kirk's penchant for ripping or getting his shirt ripped, I think you'll be in luck. ;)

11. The Castellan

She's a very good nurse, had some of the highest test grades, and knows what she's doing....better than some of the doctors there. She just wants to be hot while she works. :cool:

12. Sci

And I want her focused on her damn job.

13. Char Aznable

Char Aznable Lieutenant Commander

:rolleyes: And who says she can't be excellent at her job yet want to look good doing it at the same time? Genius . . .

14. Sci

I'm sorry, but the way she's described, she sounds like she's preoccupied with looking sexy. And I don't want a nurse, even an excellent one, who's devoting any of her energy to anything other than her job if I'm in her treatment.

15. Char Aznable

Obviously, because if she feels pretty she's gonna give you the wrong meds, right? :rolleyes:

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

He was talking about what she has on under her scrubs or other professional attire (and thus out of sight of the clientele), not "being preoccupied with looking sexy". Now, if we could, let's get back to uniforms and what constitutes acceptable/appropriate duty wear, rather than what someone chooses to wear underneath it (preferably before Rob starts drooling about Uhura's knickers again.)

For the record, I don't think dress or skirt uniforms are automatically unprofessional in any way, whether you're talking of nurses or of military personnel, and I think the crack about "an antiquated and vaguely fetishized costume designed to draw attention to the fact that you happen to have a vagina" was both uncalled-for and at least bordering on crude. Do such fetishes exist? Yes they do, but there's no need to take broad-brush swipes and place all skirted uniforms in the same category. I know you're smarter than that.

17. Char Aznable

^ That does bring me to a point I wanted to mention. Wasn't there a time when looking your best was one of the hallmarks of professionalism?

18. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good letter in this month's Star Trek magazine lamenting how Winona Kirk is brushed aside and ignored by the writers so that they can focus on Kirk's relationship with his dead father (I suppose we assume that after twenty years in Starfleet his mother never achieved any heroics). Compare this to how Spock's mother is brushed aside (literally) so that they can focus on Spock's relationhip with his father too. No T'Pau, no female captains or admirals with any lines. No Rand - dammit! I think my concern over their physical appearance is subsumed by the general lack of respect given to most of the women in the franchise. Trousers or skirts is a secondary issue.

19. Sci

I think that Uhura is given a lot of respect in this film -- more than she ever received in TOS -- and that Amanda is given more respect than you're arguing.

Having said that, I agree that the decision to underplay the relationship between Kirk and Winona was a big mistake. Really, if they wanted to have Kirk be so damaged from being fatherless, it would probably have been better to also have Winona die shortly after giving birth; Kirk's sense of loss would have been much more understandable if he had grown up without either parent, rather than his seeming to be damaged by the "horror" of being raised by a single mother.

20. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's true that Uhura gets to do more than in most other films and episodes but a big chunk of that is because she is now the girlfriend of one of the big three so I'm not sure that I'd count that as a win for feminism.

When I watched the movie a second time I noticed that Amanda wasn't as totally devoid of her sense of humour as I'd first thought, although it was toned down a bit. She was quite cool but her principal purpose was to cause additional angst for Spock in the same way that George's demise causes angst for Kirk. The difference is that Spock's Dad is given the chance to help Spock, Kirk's Mum is treated like a negligent, uncaring parent.

I think that the women generally were treated quite carelessly overall, mostly as sex objects or mothers. They just need to give more lines to more female characters and feature some high-ranking women. That is becoming less likely as the supporting roles are rapidly becoming filled by more and more male characters (Pike takes up the role of generic Admiral, Keenser the engineering side-kick, Sarek contact point for the vulcans etc).

It's my hope that T'Pau will be brought in as a cameo to help resolve vulcan resettlement. As a planetary scientist, this might be a good way to bring in Carol Marcus, as well as Sarek. It would be even better if Kirk's Mom, perhaps as the commander of the survey team, could be brought in too. Rand, Chapel, and maybe Ann Mulhall could be brought in as third tier characters with one 'major' scene. The ease of re-using these characters will depend on the plot.