Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PsychoPere, Dec 10, 2010.

1. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder how this is going to work with existing saved games. Is the Citadel still available during the "DLC save"? I thought it was already locked off at that point.

2. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^No, IIRC the autosave puts you just before you initiate that attack on Cronos. The lockout happens when you try to travel *after* that mission.

3. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gotta love that many people will d/l this DLC and do it prior to going to London - Yes, we're taking our mighty war fleet to Earth in a desperate pitched battle to save the galaxy, but fcuk, first I'm going to redecorate my apartment that will be blown up soon anyway......! :lol:

Next to them doing something with the endings my wish was for a squad-focused DLC - which is exactly what this is. Bravo.

Day one purchase for me.

According to Gamble they got Robin Sachs' dialogue done prior to his untimely death, hence Zaeed will feature and it'll probably be Robin's last released work. :(

4. ATimson

Well, it's not like the plot lets them do it afterwards--!

5. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh for frak's sake, stop with the damn $15 DLCs, Bioware! That's ridiculous! Still haven't gotten Omega either because of that. You just know they jacked up the price on these to cover the cost of the voice actor fees...

6. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't understand. Is setting the price to cover the cost of production somehow an anomaly?

7. Angel4576

$15 for 4Gb of new content.

I can live with that!

8. ATimson

We know it's more than 2 GB - is it actually hitting the 4 GB mark?

And remember everybody, this is the Bioware who sold Awakening as DLC for $40. $15 is a steal compared to that. ;)

9. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because when I can get a year old full game bundled with all its DLC for half that price from a Steam sale, $15 for what's essentially a single evening's worth of entertainment is a complete rip-off.

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

While I agree the price is a bit on the steep side for DLC, I don't think it's fair to use something that's been *heavily* discounted from it's usual retail price as a point of comparison.

That being said, I have to say that I don't think Omega was very good value for money. Had the station been available as a hub after completion and had Nyreen been recruitable I may have felt differently.

11. Angel4576

Gamble confirmed on Twitter that it's just under 4Gb.

Guess we'll have to wait and see whether we're getting any kind of value for money - I'd rather pay £10 for something like this (size and content) than Omega which was a huge disappointment considering how much we'd been asked to pay.

Either way, this will be my final foray into the ME universe. I hate what they did with the ending, and have little interest in any further games beyond this DLC.

12. ATimson

More-or-less agreed. There's a couple of things they could do that would bring me back - cast Nathan Fillion or another actor I like as the player character or a party number, maybe rehire Drew Karpyshyn - but odds are not good.

13. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I'm going to reserve any judgement about the future of the Mass Effect franchise, until there actually is a future of the mass effect franchise. We know that they're working on the next game, we don't know yet what it will be, what form it will take, when it will take place, etc.

Personally, I'd welcome the next chapter of the mass effect universe, I'm eager for there to be more content for the series and to move on from the indescribably horrible ending of Mass Effect 3.

14. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

The way the series has been "evolving" thus far, I fully expect that ME4 will have no dialogue choices, no character customization, no class system, and you probably won't even be able to choose your character's gender.

I'd love for EAware to prove me wrong, but I doubt they will.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Apropos of nothing, I like how they've made this week's MP challenge a tribute to Robin Sachs.

16. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

I'm just sad I don't have time to participate. :(

17. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Am I the only one that doesn't hate the ME3 ending? I can see why people had complaints before the extended cut, but I found the end to be pretty awesome. I was actually kind of depressed when I finished ME3 for the first time because I didn't want it to be over.

18. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

No, I loved the ending as well. I can understand that it may not be for everyone, but I would have thought that people would be over it by now. Oh well, the endless drama is entertaining in its own way.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Pre-EC my main gripe with the ending was that it was quite obviously thrown together, unfinished and that text agter the tag scene was just downright insulting. This is why I view the EC as a very large patch rather than DLC in it's own right.

Post-EC, while the execution of the ending is a lot smoother and more "complete" (for lack of a better term) I still take issue with the execution. Mainly it's the "pick your favourite colour" mechanic and the implementation of the war asset system. I mean after three games of imported saves storing hundreds accumulated decisions we were led to believe that what we had done up until this point would *matter*. As it turned out, that was a lie.

I mean I can live with the starchild nonsense--even if it did make the ending seem as if someone had spliced Matrix Revolutions into Deus Ex--but what really disappointed me was how half-arsed the final Earth missions felt.

After the way they did ME2's suicide mission, I expected to see my choices and war assets come into play. I also thought it to be an extended campaign, with side missions like we got with Tuchanka and Rannoch. There was plenty of potential to work with. I mean imagine a mission where you have to make your way though a vast field of dragon's teeth to assault a reaper processor ship and liberate civilians, or some captured allies. Maybe even Anderson?

Indeed, I'd say everything from Thessia onwards felt a little rushed. The bit about the Illusive Man going to the Citadel, warning the reapers and them just grabbing the thing and moving it to Earth all in the time it took you to raid Cronos station just felt horribly contrived. Indeed, Cerberus itself got a little short changed since we never found out exactly what was going on. Why did they attack Surkesh? Were they all fully indoctrinated, or were they just rogue units that TIM had lost control over? There should have been a much more to the downfall of Cerberus than what we got.

So yeah, while I didn't *hate* the ending, I was enormously disappointed. I don't care that it wasn't a happy ending, I do care that it wasn't a satisfying one.

20. ATimson

I'm over it in that I'm not whinging about it on the Internet anymore. I'm not over it in that I doubt I'll ever replay a Mass Effect game other than #1. :techman: