The Opening Of Star Trek 3

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Cinema Geekly, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

A lot of people have talked about how much they enjoyed the opening of STID (myself included).

A lot of people liked how it reminded them of TOS (even more so if you watch the extras on they built the jungle) and for me it felt a lot like how Indiana Jones pictures would start; with the audience joining Indy right on the tail end of one of his adventures.

That being the case would you like to see something similar start off ST3?

And furthermore, now that they are on the 5 year mission would you like to see the opening be the tail end of a TOS mission we've already seen, so long as it just serves as an introduction to the film and isn't a remake of any kind?

For me personally that is the kind of fan service I can get into. A real nod that doesn't really effect plot, is fresh to a new audience, and can be a fun and exciting way to kick off a film (much like it did in STID).

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It'll be tough to top Nibiru while staying original...

But yes, I want another thrill ride opening that also serves as a nod to TOS.

Perhaps we join in right on the tail-end of The Doomsday Machine? Not sure how it would work, but a pulse-pounding space battle right at the beginning with the Enterprise and another starship involved would be cool.

3. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

It should open with Spock and Uhura in bed together, cuddling after the loving. Spock gets hailed to report to the bridge. Cut to the bridge, where Spock walks onto the bridge and over to the captain's chair, where Kirk sits with Carol Marcus on his lap.

Well? Why not?

4. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I admit that Abrams and Orci know how to open a movie. I hope that they work more on providing thoughtful dialogue and real character development to the next story.

Nonetheless, if they are going to open the movie in some sort of homage to TOS, I'd like to see them revisit the "Earth-like planet" phenomenon. A firefight with Oxmyx's thugs might be an interesting counterpoint to Niburu.

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

If they do plan on going ahead with some kind of hot conflict with the Klingons, then I think it should open with a "real world" Kobayashi Maru type of scenario: transport ship stuck in Neutral Zone, obvious trap, etc. Could even have Bones point it out: "It's the God damned Kobayashi Maru..."

Aside from filling the the film's quota for TWOK homages, it be a call-back to the test scene, of course, but more importantly, it would be a call-back to the opening scene of ST09 and really bring Kirk's character arc full-circle.

6. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

The opening shows Kirk disguised as a Romulan, sneaking slowly along a corridor on an unfamiliar ship. Back on the Enterprise, Uhura gives Carol a look of sympathy, and holds her. On the ship, Kirk detaches a piece of unsightly machinery and calls Keenser to beam him back.

At the transporter pad, Keenser, rolling his eyes with anxiety, greets him with a face of reproach. Arriving on the bridge, Jim is cheered, but upon quoting Mark Twain, Carol, Uhura and Bones look at him with indignation.

On the ship, Spock, in his blue uniform, is dancing with a Romulan woman (played by Anna Torv) in a beautiful dress who is all over him and would not stop speaking passionately. All of a sudden, their dance is interrupted by an officer who whispers something to her.

Woman: “Raise shields and lock him up,” she orders with a fury.

Scotty, with Romulan ears and pliers in his mouth, is creeping down a narrow tube, where he gets caught by a patrolling guard who has heard a noise in the wall.

Guard: “What are you doing in there?”

Scotty: “A wee bit of repairs on the air controls, ma'am”

He gets dragged out, and we see Spock and Scotty in the same cell.

Scotty: “Mr. Spock, how do you stand those ears one whole day?”

[on the Enterprise]

Uhura: “I can't raise either Mr. Spock or Mr. Scott, sir. I have Lt. Sulu on channel 4.”

Kirk: “Initiate the backup plan, Mr. Sulu”

Sulu: “Aye captain.”

[black screen]

A dozen containers are seen floating away from the Romulan ship. Locked inside one of them, Scott wonders why Kirk's idea always land him in a place like this. The containers disappear.

An invisible black blot goes to warp (with grey trails this time). Opening titles.

"STAR TREK: SHADES IN THE NIGHT"

Orgy with all four. Why not?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  7. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

They could always reuse footage from STID and digitally replace the scroll with Spock's Brain.

I mean....after that they could probably just print their own money.

8. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It should open up with the Enterprise and the badly damaged Constellation locked in a losing battle against the reimagined Doomsday Machine. This time around, though, the recently relieved of command Commodore Decker doesn't get a chance to steal a shuttlecraft ("Cupcake" stuns him with a phaser instead), leaving Kirk to figure out on his own how to beat the D-Machine.

9. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Medical thriller. Not necessarily the Naked Time/Now virus, but maybe. No 'bad guy', just a bad virus.

Have the opening sequence of a town, city, country, or entire world DYING HORRIBLY all at once. Maybe just as Enterprise swoops in for first contact.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

In hindsight, yes. Trek 2009 was to open with Spock's birth, not the space battle. And Trek 2013 was to open with the dying girl, not the volcano. They only know how to properly open a movie in the editing room.

11. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally I'd cold open Trek III with the crew part-way through their five year mission all sat around on the bridge bored as fuck. A 10 miniute single steadycam shot of crewmembers doodling, making paper aeroplanes, twirling pencils in their fingers and throwing screwed up pieces of paper at red shirted ensigns.

CREDITS.

12. G2309

G2309 Captain Captain

It would be good to see Kang again if they do a Klingon conflict. But the new film could start with Bones visiting his Gorn God children. They could fit a lot of action into that.

13. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I think this would be great

14. G2309

G2309 Captain Captain

It would be good to see Kang again if they do a Klingon conflict. But the new film could start with Bones visiting his Gorn God children. They could fit a lot of action into that.

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

You can say that again.

16. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think STiD opening with the hospital sequence was only done for the 9 minute preview, to establish the enemy. They likely were going with all-Nibiru from the start.

17. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Plus the 9 minute preview ended with the Spock in a volcano cliffhanger.

18. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Phew, that was a close call. You almost accidentally slammed into a grudging compliment there, but at the last second you pulled some serious negative g's and got back on course to being relentlessly pessimistic.

19. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

I want to see the third movie open up with a sorely pissed-off Gaila transferred to the Enterprise.

"Oh, Captain? You thought I was dead?"

20. Khan444

Khan444 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Open with the Klingons dealing with something, that'd be cool.