what is your fav class of ship

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by tangoblue, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Ninjacore

Ninjacore Commander

Its a classic beaten up, tough looking starship, not all shiny and fancy looking, I hate those prisitine looking ships.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whatever class the nuEnterprise is. I'd wander around engineering and the shuttlebay for hours marvelling at how impressively big it all was.

3. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

My choice too.:bolian:

4. Paradon

Paradon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe if they had some souped up the Enterprise so it's powered by 10 dilithium chamber with the power of a 100 star trying to beat the Romulan and Klingon in warp drive traveling. Someone figure out a way to do it! :luvlove:

5. HarryM

HarryM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If I really had to "live on a ship for the rest of your life" I'd have to say Enterprise-D.

6. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

No holodeck.

Less space.

You'd need a crew to keep her going.

If you had to LIVE on the thing you'd want something comfortable.

7. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Even the Galaxy class starship needs a crew. Didn't you see that acrobatic Beverly episode?

8. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Which one is that?

It seems that the Galaxy class can more or less take care of herself. You can yell out "computer" and have it do just about anything you need it to do.

Consider this. When we see "necessary" crew members doing their jobs, what do we see them DOING? That is, how do they do their jobs? They plink away on Computer terminals! If so, given the basic intelligence and incredible processing power of the Enterprise computer, she should be able to do everything that monkeys sitting at terminals are doing.

Indeed, you really only need to crew to do physical stuff as in manual labor. Some sort of conduit goes out and needs to be physically replaced. OK, you need a person to do that. Then again, the computer should be able to tell you where and how to do it.

By the time you get to the Enterprise D, you get the sense that people are doing jobs, in large part, to feel useful and belong to a group. Those who are necessary could be rigged like the holodock on Voyagers. They could do any manual labor that you didn't have time for.

9. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

Funny thing, I would feel more comfortable and awe on the TMP refit then on the Galaxy. Plus a crew is part of what makes a starship a starship.

How much space do you need?

10. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Well, how spacious is a fully crewed NX-01 compared with a fully crewed Galaxy Class?

The TMP E is OK for space, but no holodecks is a deal breaker.

11. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

The holodeck is an interesting idea but ultimately I would be on board a ship to explore new wonders and not spend time living out fantasies. Real life (within a sci-fi context ;) ) is more interesting.

12. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

The wink admits a lot. There is no real life in a sci-fi context.

Startrek is pure fantasy and here we are speculating what we would do given one of the most non real world scenarios imaginable.

What you say is like saying - "I wouldn't have a holodeck in my holodeck since I'd want the experience to be real." The real world is outside our windows and computer screens, and yet we also watch sci-fi movies and shows and hang out at (at least) one fantasy web site.

Myself, I'd like to imagine the fantasy environment with the most degrees of freedom. A fantasy within a fantasy is no disadvantage since I have to enter a fantasy to even speak on these questions.

In my fantasy I'd be a space explorer with a healthy fantasy life. When things got slow on the ship, I'd have the option of a little rec time.

13. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd take the Enterprise-E Sovereign class with alot of post-Nemisis upgrades. Like some of the nifty Borg stuff that Voyager brought back and several banks of those pulse-phaser canon that the Defiant had. And upgrade the bridge with some tech from the nuEnterprise. Also give her multiple warp cores dedicated to just shields and weapons. And a hell of alot more torpedos and phasers to cover any blind spots redundantly.

14. Jetboogieman

Jetboogieman Commander Red Shirt

Toss up between the Akira and Defiant class Ships.

Both kickass vessels.

15. Vinkula

Vinkula Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

For me, absolutely Galaxy class. I love the shape of the vessel, it's size, interior colours and interiors.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Commander Red Shirt

If I had to live there the rest of my life, probably a Galaxy class. I think it would be fun to zip around space in a little Defiant class ship, but I certainly wouldn't want to spend the rest of my life on one of those.

17. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

We have seen the crew spend a quite of time passing through regions of space where there is nothing to check out.You don't have to be like Barclay, but be like Picard riding the horse, or Sisko replaying a world series game with Kassidy.

18. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well since my other vice is "Tomb Raider". How about holodeck "Tomb Raider"? That would be cool.
    If I'm to exist in the Federation/Starfleet universe of the 24th/25th century. I'll stick with the most powerful ship. The Sovereign class Enterprise E. I'll need it to locate and detain that pesky Nero fellow before he decides to cause any trouble.

19. Tan Ru

Tan Ru Captain Captain

For the rest of MY life?!?!

That's pretty harsh. What did I do to deserve THAT??

Hmmm........the original TOS E I think; but only for a month or two......with Rand and that blonde chick lawyer from Court Marshall. :drool:

20. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Except that no computer on any of the Starfleet ships are shown to be "intelligent." Yes they are fast, but none of them possesses intelligence like say Data's brain does.

If you give a ship's computer the ability to make decisions, it might "decide" not to enter combat, "decide" not to overtax it's engines, "decide" not to respond to an emergency.

This is the reason there are people aboard the ship.

:)