JOHN CARTER movie fans already demanding a sequel

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug...fans-start-facebook-group-calling-for-sequel/

John Carter isn't going to make enough money for a sequel. I can't help think this is just wishful thinking from those fans.

Disney really screwed the pooch with the huge budget they gave to the movie and the terrible marketing.

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Oh, internet fandom... you silly geese you...

If you want your sequel, spend less time on Facebook and more time buying LOTS AND LOTS of DVDs. Cash is the only way it's going to get made.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Home video is too late in the profit stream for the film's sequel chances to be strongly influenced. No, if fans want a sequel, they're best best would be for each of them to buy hundreds of tickets per day. (:lol:)

It's nice that they're passionate, but a sequel ain't happening. The movie will quietly turn a profit on television, and audiences will move onto the next thing.

4. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Agreed. I was just thinking about the last time internet nerddom succeeded, I was thinking of Serenity, which was made based on the success of the DVDs.

Of course, that was also made for 30 million dollars--which would pay for how many tharks? And also, "underperformed" at the box office.

Anyway...

You mean, The Avengers? Prometheus? The Dark Knight Rises? 21 Jumpstreet?

5. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Actually, while very unlikely, I don't think a sequel is completely impossible. Movies such as Tron, The Thing, Highlander, The Chronicles of Riddick, and Blade Runner have all gotten theatrical sequels/prequels (or are about to) despite being financial disappointments in their day. If John Carter manages to build a huge fanbase via home video, a sequel is not completely out of the question. And since any sequel would have to take place at least 10 years after the bulk of John Carter part 1, it doesn't even have to happen very soon.

As I said, it's highly unlikely, but one can always hope.

6. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

Three of those (Tron, The Thing, and Blade Runner) were given sequels nearly 30 years afterward because of the rise of 80's nostalgia and for an audience who grew up on this stuff. With Riddick, it's getting a sequel because Vin Diesil is back in the spotlight for a spell. Highlander? I don't know. Maybe because Sean Connery said yes?

7. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Fans are always demanding sequels. We John Carter fans have already proven ourselves to be too financially insignificant for Disney to care what we think. There won't be a sequel.

8. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

John Carter won't get a sequel because Disney spent money equal to the GDP of ten African countries put together on one single movie that has no star power or cultural significance. If they would have reigned in the budget of the movie to a $150 million-ish, and got a $50 million opening weekend here in the States, then yes, we could have by a long stretch gotten a sequel. At this point am thinking they should have made a Tarzan or Dracula movie with half the price and gotten back their money quickly.

EDIT: Or maybe this will be the *NEW* Firefly? Whence fans are still demanding a continuation?

Nah, don't think so. :p

9. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

Chances are most potential John Carter fans haven't even seen the movie yet. ;)

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Youchie! John Carter expected loss: $200M!

Time for a bake sale? :(

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Given the cost of tickets, I wouldn't be surprised if their theme park division made back that "loss" in a matter of days (the movie is still going to break even on television, where theatrical features have made most of their money for a long time).

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I know!

Let the fans gather up money to make the sequel!

;)

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

14. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

On the one hand, yeah, it sounds a bit unlikely that John Carter would rate a sequel.

On the other hand, Starship Troopers is up to, what, 3 movies now? And there've been a number of other underperforming or straight bomb films that have received sequels. If there's a perceived demand someone could well do a direct-to-video sequel.

Now if you're expecting a sequel with similar production values, cast and so forth, I wouldn't hold my breath for THAT.

But otherwise, yeah, I have to agree the days of failed movies being able to recoup their losses in DVD is over. That said, I plan to buy it when it comes out because it looks half-decent, but I won't be going to see it because it's in 3-D. Unfortunately, as a 3-D opponent, I can't look to John Carter as any sort of "I told you so" or "Finally the bubble bursts" scenario as it's pretty clear it would have bombed regardless. That said, if Disney takes a real bath it might mean more investment in 2-D and less in 3-D as they work to make back the lost revenue as 3-D is still the more expensive option, at least for live action (I assume it doesn't make a difference in animation). Which, granted, is probably only the equivalent of a few month's gate admission to the theme parks...

Alex

15. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i enjoyed John Carter, but i don't ever expect a sequel. for fans to demand a sequel to a film that lost over $200 million dollars is not logical.

16. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

JOHN CARTER is one of the best feature films that I've watched in a long time.

It is also a financial flop.

There will almost certainly be no sequel.

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

No doubt it's a disappointment that isn't going to bring in any meaningful profits for Disney, but that article doesn't say a thing about television sales. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but that's where movies make most of their money.

Of course, the article also points out that being a movie studio is less and less important for Disney, since they bring in the vast majority of their revenues (and an even greater majority of profits) from other sources.

There's definitely not going to be a sequel, though.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Starship Troopers had a budget of $105 million. The second film had a budget of $7 million and the third cost $20 million; the lack of money spent on the sequels show, painfully.

Is Disney even in the business of direct-to-DVD live-action sequels? Especially in the face of the sinking home video market, I'd say chances of a cheap DTV sequel are a long shot in the most optimistic of universes.

19. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

The John Carter sequels are probably going the way of "The Scorpion King" with Billy Zane in a supporting role and direct to dvds.

20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well, again, those are released by Universal. Outside of their sausage factory of animated follow-ups, Disney doesn't seem to be in the business of releasing direct-to-DVD sequels. Or have I just missed them?