ENTERPRISE on Blu-Ray OFFICIAL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by LtChange, Oct 6, 2012.

1. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Re: The bird is out: ENTERPRISE on blu-ray

Yes, the seamless branching gives you the choice - don't deny yourself these terrific BD's.

Reference the TOS-R CG, it's a mixed bag - with some of the shots looking really good, but many turning out somewhat crappy. Personally, my estimate of the "Good to Bad" ratio would be around 60/40.

2. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

During the whole run the NX-01 felt like an intangible object that never held up to the physical models that were used in previous series. And that's where CBS really shone on TOS-R. The NCC-1701 looked like the physical NCC-1701.

As for Season 4 the Eden FX would've used the same CGI model of the NX that was used for Seasons 1-3.

3. Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think DS9 or VOY look particularly dated, and the former is a show that wasn't heavy on the special effects and battle scenes until the last season and a half of its run. The biggest thing to fix with these two shows is the ratio aspect and bringing it to widescreen.

Like others have pointed out, ENT was shot in HD from the get-go for this reason. That said, is there even enough of an audience to justify skipping ahead of the other two shows?

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

There's nothing to "fix". DS9 and VOY will be in 4x3, just like TOS and TNG.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

DS9 was full of effects sequences right from the beginning.

I'm pretty sure CBS wouldn't spend the money releasing it if they didn't think they'd recoup their investment and then some.

6. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought there was an interview with a director on DS9 that stated halfway through the series they started protected for widescreen while filming.

7. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

8. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Good thing they decided not to use any of those horrible covers that they had the fans voting on. Those stunk like elephant shit.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I agree. I think the cover they did come up with is a little bland, but I'll take it any day over those earlier proposals.

I loved Scott Bakula's little anecdote in that video. "He didn't know this at first, but as soon as he said 'It's a century before Captain Kirk,' I was in." :D I can understand his enthusiasm for the idea, I thought (and still think) a prequel series was the right way to go.

10. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They've done a top-knotch job ensuring all the old DVD extras content has been transferred across - which is always great for a completist like me. Some of it, only appeared on Best Buy discs in Region 1 (exclusive to certain retailers), while finding their way onto the season sets proper here in Region 2.

Really looking forward to the new featurettes. If the TNG ones are anything to go by, there's a lot of frank discussion and non of the usual self congratulatory studio sales pitch, that holds everything in a positive light. That approach often touches on a nerve, but that's obviously more appealing this many years on, when Enterprise is widely known about as the least successful of the Treks... and I frequently watch documentaries where I'll disagree strongly with one interviewee's opinion and find myself nodding in support of another. It's all part and parcel of seeing a fun debate unfold.

I'm not convinced the cover is all it could've been, but I guess I'll feel differently in March when I see the real thing sitting on a shelf.

There's nothing wrong with having chosen this image really... I've always liked it since it appeared on the back of Art Asylum's action figure range... and it'll probably look awesome, the figures slightly raised up from the cardboard sleeve or the background holographic.

[​IMG]

But I do wonder how they're going to acheive a matching style from season to season.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  11. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

http://ent.trekcore.com/bluray/01072013_s1coverart.html

Check out the msrp of $129, this pretty much confirms that they will be gouging the fans.

I could justify $65 for TNG and TOS considering the extensive work done, but why charge so much for ENT a show that was in high def from the very beginning and was even broadcast that way?

The price is too high considering the BD prices of Enterprise's contemporary space shows (Firefly, BSG, SGA, Farscape, etc.) all are priced much more competitively.

12. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

13. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Poor Phlox. :lol:

14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

You should have probably checked the msrp of the other Trek series before posting this...

15. trekker670

As someone who does not hold any malice toward Braga, I wasn't too impressed with the promo interview they posted with him. He seemed very bored and disinterested. He was slouched in the chair and fidgeting, as if he'd rather be anywhere but in that interview.

16. Leroy

I did, I mentioned prices for TOS and TNG and how the higher cost is justified based on the amount of remastering work.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

So by that logic, a brand new film which requires no remastering at all should only cost a dollar or two?

18. Leroy

Of course not, but they shouldn't charge a huge amount either, how do you think they should set the prices?

19. trekker670

Simple: supply and demand.

20. NeedsOfTheMany

NeedsOfTheMany Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Not a great price but not terrible either.. Worth the purchase don't have the DVD set.