The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On TV time and budget, they probably didn't have the luxury to reshoot just because of that.

Besides, I could be wrong, but aren't the viewfinders on film cameras not actually "through the lens" viewfinders, meaning that they don't know exactly what they're shooting?

2. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

Ha! Here in the UK its at #11! I wonder how long it will manage to stay there? In the end though, I think it's selling quite well. There must also be lots of people who are holding out for the box sets and passed on the taster.

3. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They use a so-called ground glass: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_glass#Photography

Here is one similar to what was used on TNG (posted earlier by Maxwell Everett):

[​IMG]

4. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm one of those "holding out for the box set". I have a baby to think of and £15 is alot of money these days. I don't want to pay twice. I'm happy to come to this board for everybodys opinions and to get my "taster" here through all of your opinions and comments. :techman:

5. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Per Homemediamagazine

TNG is ranked 11th for the week. They only releases sales ratio based on whatever is number one. This week its drive. For every 100 copies of drive 10.224 of TNG are sold.

6. mswood

One brief point. Obviously I am no angel (I freely admit to downloading content, hell even if I own the content its still illegal).

But while I think CBS sees Blu-Ray as Gravy for the project (and its on going syndication and digital streaming as the meat and potatoes), one thing is for certain. The larger the home market sells are the larger chance that CBS will consider approaching the less financially successful Trek series.

So my dollars (as they did with every single other format that has been released except the one season of TOS on the alternative HD Disc format, I never did purchase that) are my little way of helping give CBS reason to continue beyond TNG.

7. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Exactly. And I want to see DS9 on Blu-ray! So I will be buying TNG. Plus I never had TNG on DVD. So I look forward to rewatching the series.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Yes, I've seen that fans run about 50-60% for waiting on the season sets. So I imagine the sales would be quite good.

RAMA

9. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I was just thinking, I wonder if, when the episodes "Heart Of Glory" or "The Emissary" are re-edited, will CBS replace the Klingon ships that were just grabbed from STTMP with more modern ships (of course the one in TE fits the time period) or if they will just relicense the film from Paramount?

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure they'll still use the same Klingon ships, but they'll just be CG recreations instead of the previous movie footage.

At least I hope so, because the newer Klingon ships TNG came up with somehow didn't seem nearly as cool or iconic.

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'm also waiting for the Season set, before parting with my pounds.

12. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

13. Xavier_Storma

Xavier_Storma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I liked the Vor'Cha and the Negh'Var Class ships. I would have loved to see the later one in action more often.

14. Mark 2000

Mark 2000 Captain Captain

I think the Vorcha works in the original concept of the TNG Klingons as part of the Federation and done with empiring. It's a more mild, not very antagonistic ship. Unfortunately they decided to make the Klingons bad guys again.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Hope not. The TOS-R versions looked like shit.

16. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

I disagree. CBS Home Video knows that Paramount sold TOS 6 times to fans. VHS, Laserdisc, DVD (2-episode discs), DVD seasons, HD-DVD, Blu-ray. They know that the first year of release of TNG season 1 they will make X amount of dollars. After the first year or two they will lower the cost of the Blu-ray for season 1. This is why I think we'll see $95. actual cost for the season set on Amazon and Best Buy. Of course the Suggested retail price will be $120.
    Heck the marketing department surely has strategies for releasing in Summer for the first 30,60,90 days release to make X number of units moved due to Trek fans devotion and then reduce the price for Christmas 2012.
    I agree.
    ENT will be next, and then possibly a remastering of DS9 starting in 2 years.

17. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Whether CBS goes to ENT or DS9 next will determine if they're interested in Blu Ray sales or syndication/streaming sales. ENT can already be sold in in HD, so if they want the Blu Ray sales they need to just spend the money to produce the discs. If they're more focused on syndication/streaming then they'll move to DS9 next since it needs work to sell it in HD.

18. mswood

Avitrek

Homemarket sales are down considerable. Even in its height Syndication brought in far, far, far more revenue then home sales did. TOS earned literally billions in syndication, millions in home market. TNG billions in syndication millions in home market.

Hell the Trek Netflix deal was for hundreds of millions of dollars (all profits at no real cost, unlike production and distribution of home media).

Trust me Blu-Ray Home Market is not the primary reason for doing this. Not at all. Its the icing on the cake, or the gravy on a meat and potatoes meal.

19. Mark 2000

Mark 2000 Captain Captain

True, but from the extreme distance they are shown from it might not look too bad. I'd still prefer the original shots, but they must do what they must.

They are going to be in a lot of trouble if they don't have the rights to that movie footage anymore. There's so many episodes - 110011010101, Matter of Perspective, Tin Man - that need the movie footage. There's no way they could replace those shots without a lot of work.

20. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Has anyone from the CBS team specifically stated that they aren't allowed to use movie footage now owned by Paramount?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.