If annother Trek series was being made, what would you want in it?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Green Lantern, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

You have two cows.....

2. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, how about this:

A joint Starfleet/Klingon mission to explore the farther reaches of the Beta Quadrant, which, If I remember correctly is where the Klingon Empire is actually based. This comes to the attention of the Romulans, who send a ship to spy on the venture, leading to ongoing political tensions, as well as tensions between the crews of the Starfleet and Klingon ships. It can be set either after Nemesis, or in the years after the Kitomer Accords, which, considering the subject matter, probably makes more sense.

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

^^^
    I had an idea almost exactly like that back in '93 (except for the Romulan spy ship part). Dang, that was a long time ago--19 years, jee-zuz!

4. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Excellent idea! And that would also be around the time Klingons got their ridges, a secret that was never lifted and that might interest quite a few fans.
    Personally, I think it was an unfortunate accident with a chemical or biological weapon that led to permanent DNA changes. A Romulan weapon, of course. Klingons would never use weapons that kill children and other civillians - it'd be the paramount of dishonour.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I take it you never watched the Enterprise episodes that dealt with the Klingon ridge issue?

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

It if was post-Nemesis it could be a three-way with the Romulans actually supporting the UFP and Klingons, seeing as how a lot of bridges have been built in recent years.

7. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

No Klingons, no Romulans.

Except as possible target practice.

8. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

I'd like a series set in the 21st century, with one caveat, a Galaxy Class Starship appears in Low Earth orbit, with just its captain, apparently he had the crew abandon ship before he took the starship through a wormhole and ended up here. Lets name this Ship the USS Discovery for the sake of discussion. The Captain of the Discovery then begins beaming up people from the Earth's surface that he thinks would make good crewmembers, these folks need training to operate the various systems on the ship, but fortunately the ship is in good repair and does not need much maintenance, it also has a holographic doctor.

9. BillJ

So he's going to destroy his own future?

10. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

He wants to, the main point of this exercise is that he doesn't feel that he is important enough in his own universe, so he wants to create his own timeline where he is more important. In other words he is a megalomaniac who probably shouldn't be captain, and maybe he wasn't. He couldn't be simply a 24th century computer nerd who reprogrammed the ship's computer to recognize him as captain and then he donned an appropriate uniform after kicking the rest of the 24th century crew off the ship. The poor 21st century victims of his scheme who get beamed up to replace the crew need to somehow take control of the ship away from this deranged "captain". The name USS Discovery it appropriate as it reminds the viewers of another USS Discovery from "2001 A Space Odyssey". The involuntary crew of this starship are in a similar dillemma, they need to learn enough about the ship in order to run it without this "Captain" as he truly is not fit to command it by any 24th century Federation standards.

11. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Ah, I have a brilliant name for this Star Trek Odyssey. A Synopsis: a Starship from the future, in this case a Galaxy Class retrofitted with an emergency medical hologram in its sickbay. The ship dates from sometime after the Enterprise D crashed, so there have been other modifications to it that wouldn't be in the original Enterprise D, the Deck plans are basically the same, perhaps the sets would a less plastic feel to it. As for the kidnapped crew, some of them will be from prisons, these the maniacal captain uses as enforcers, to get the other kidnapped crew mates to do what he says. The EMH doctor has developed a personality of his own, and he does not like this new captain, he wants to help the crew to mutiny, but he needs to find out first who he can trust, and he can't leave the sickbay, so that is an important limitation. The "captain" tends to underestimate these downtimers, as they are not from the 24th century, he thinks that means he can more easily control them, turns out not to be completely accurate.

12. BillJ

Doesn't really sound like Star Trek to me. :shrug:

13. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Has all the story elements, just one thing missing, No Federation. The crew are not Star Fleet officers, they do not have Star Fleet training or discipline all they have is a Starship and a captain that's analogous to Captain Bligh. The people on this starship have to work this out together, they're one ship against the galaxy, probably the Klingons won't be much of a threat unless they wish to take on the entire Klingon fleet!

14. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

In reality, Captain Bligh was known to be an overly agreeable and accomodating captain to his crew and that his permissiveness allowed the famous mutiny to form and allowed conditions on board to deterioriate to the point they did.

15. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Well there has to be something wrong with a captain who steals a starship and goes back in time with it. Let me refer you to a non Star Trek novel Island in the Sea of Time by SM Stirling, you can look up the basic plot in the internet as well. In Island in the Sea of Time, the Island of Nantucket from our time gets sent to the year 1250 BC, and there was one particularlly unscruplous character, in the US Coast Guard was made first officer of the USC Eagle, a clipper ship that was taken along with the body of water and Nantucket back to the year 1250 BC. A character named William Walker initiated a coup against his Captain Marian Alston, and took off first to Britian, and later to Greece to create his own empire with his superior technology and weapons, and he build up a force to conquer the World, and set himself up in conflict with the Nantucteers. I'm thinking of a Star Trek Captain with a personality similar to this William Walker.

16. BillJ

But, once again, it really doesn't sound like Star Trek to me. Though it could be a concept for a kick ass original series.

17. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, you can have something way different from what we've known, and still call it Trek. Or something with the exploration/humanity-gets-its-act-together ethos. I go for the latter. Didn't really get it on ST09, imho.

18. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

The thing is 24th century starships are very easy to learn, there are training programs on the holodecks on how to repair the various subsystems, and there are replicators that can be used to produce various spare parts. The starship could easily move up to various asteroids and mine them for raw materials if need be, so a Galaxy class could be quite self-sufficient, about as self-sufficient as the Voyager proved to be when it was stranded in the Delta quadrant.

19. Sexy Human

Sexy Human Lieutenant

Excitement, intensity, intrigue, deceit, better music, great sadness, key characters dying, unexpected twists, imaginitive plots.

20. Mars

Mars Commander Red Shirt

Of course, and putting 21st century people that we can better relate too could help a lot too. Hence my idea for having a 24th century Starship appear in orbit with a mad captain who kidnaps people with the transporter to fill out his crew roster. Say the guy was switched over from the mirror universe due to a transporter accident, and then found an excuse to get rid of its 24th century crew, and using the slingshot maneuver he takes the ship to the 21st century, our time, and begins his plot to built the Terran Empire with himself as Emperor. First he beams up a bunch of criminals from jails to act as security officers, then he beams up world class scientists from before they became famous so they wouldn't be missed. A few soldiers are beamed up as well to provide military training etc.