THOR: Grading, Discussion, Review **SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 17, 2011.

?

What grade do you give THOR?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2011.
  1. A+

25 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. A

48 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. A-

49 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. B+

33 vote(s)
    16.1%
  5. B

24 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. B-

9 vote(s)
    4.4%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. C

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

3 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I bet we saw the same write up. Movieweb?

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Perhaps they could get Alice Eve? She looks like she could play Amora.

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yep, that's the one I saw. :techman:

4. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

The one element that would need to be worked on if they were using Enchantress is the scope/stakes. To me, Amora's interest in Thor is an compelling human element in an antagonist in a larger story, not a story in and of itself (certainly, an entire movie about Amora trying to off Jane wouldn't work).

5. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Their involvement would likely be part of a larger plot devised by Loki, I would imagine.

6. CaptainCanada

Loki's going to be the villain in The Avengers. I tend to doubt that Thor 2 will also have him as the main antagonist; that would be three movies with Loki as the villain in as many years, and The Avengers will probably feature his decisive defeat for the time being.

7. flemm

True, but Loki is part of the core family drama of Thor. For that reason, he's likely to be involved in one way or another, though he may be in the background much of the time.

8. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

That could be really interesting.

I don't think the Executioner is interesting as a character (and I know a lot of Thor fans who think that the Executioner was absolutely uninteresting until he died, at which point he became to the Thor mythos what Uncle Ben was to the Spider-Man mythos, which was an idea Matt Fraction used in Ages of Thunder); he'd work best as a raw, brute force of a character for Thor to fight.

Amora the Enchantress could be really interesting, especially if they picked up on the Warren Ellis/William Messner-Loebs/Dan Jurgens take on the character. (Ellis' Amora admitted that most of her "evil" was to attract Thor's attention because she lusted after him; Messner-Loeb's Amora used her sexual wiles to lead Thor around like a lovestruck puppy; Jurgens' Amora married Thor.) So you could have Sif/Amora tension (see Thor: Son of Asgard) and Jane/Amora tension.

But would Amora be a strong enough character in her own right to carry the film? I'm not sure...

If Ray Stevenson weren't already Volstagg, he would have been perfect for the Executioner. I'd suggest Sam Worthington, but that might be too close to Clash of the Titans. Jason Statham, maybe?

Amora needs to the sensual and assertive. I'm thinking Michelle Ryan or Michelle Dockery.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Loki tricks the hulk into fighting the rest of them, AND then they all team up with the Hulk to take down Loki.

Why stray from Formula?

Of course you'll see the seeds of Hank Pym inventing Ultron, and half way through every thing will go freeze frame. You'll think the projectionist has fucked up, but then Kang the Conqueror wanders through, inspects their teeth, says somethign like "Tut, tut... pathetic" then fobs off and time resumes itself.

Alice Eve.

Nice call.

She might be a little young compared to the Thor actor?

10. flemm

One of the main reasons to choose Skurge would be to do the story of his last stand in one form or another. Otherwise he is just Amora's goon/minion. Whether the story actually goes to Hel or not is another issue, but I think the whole attraction of Skurge would be to do the Simonson story, at least as far as Skurge's "last laugh" is concerned.

11. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I would think it'd be better to have Skurge as a simple goon/minion (though obviously very attracted to Amora) in the second movie. Save his face turn for the third; makes it more surprising and dramatic.

12. flemm

^ Possibly, though I don't think you would need two movies to tell that story. It could work out that way, though, if the focus is elsewhere in the second movie.

The two big bads of the Thor mythos are Surtur and Hela. Both would be challenging but potentially awesome to depict on screen. Skurge's last stand involves Hel and Hela, so I guess that could be third movie material.

The big climax of the Surtur Saga has one of the most famous battles in comics, with Thor, Odin and Loki defending Asgard against the Fire Demon. Loki's alliance with Thor and Odin is unexpected and a bit of a last-minute decision on his part. This is another story from the comics that could be used in a sequel.

13. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds pretty reasonable then for 2 and 3.

How do you top Frost Giants? Fucking FIRE DEMON! And Loki's been playing his games all movie using Amora and Skurge against Thor, but they get beaten/dismissed and Loki decides stopping Surtur's more important.

Then how do you top the Fire Demon? Why, Death herself of course. Loki's daughter working for daddy, and former villains Amora and Skurge have to do a face turn to save Asgard.

14. flemm

Well, looking at the famous Thor stories, the finale of the Surtur saga is the one that screams sequel: the battle starts on Earth and finishes on Asgard, it would be visually impressive and the final battle would resonate strongly with the end of the first movie, since Odin and his two sons would fight together to defeat the threat. And, of course, Odin dies defeating Surtur.

The question is: how do you get there? Surtur is more of a force of nature than a character. In the comics, he is looming in the background forging the twilight sword until he finally breaks free of his prison in Muspelheim (where Odin trapped him long before).

So, you'd have to tie Amora and Skurge's involvement into that somehow. Maybe they are responsible for freeing Surtur. Possibly it is Loki's idea initially, as a way of avenging himself on Odin and Thor, but he later recants when he fully realizes what he has unleashed. Something like that.

15. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, please. :drool::drool::drool:

16. CaptainCanada

One issue potential sequels would have to deal with is the balance between sci-fi and magic; the series tilts decidedly toward the former, but a character like Hela (the God of Death) would be hard to do in that environment.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

And it could make up for her being dumped from X-Men: First Class.

18. flemm

Yeah, I think that would be the big challenge with Hela. Is Hel another planet, like Jotunheim? That doesn't really fit. Still, not an unsurmountable problem, I don't think.

With Surtur the only real issue I think is that you wouldn't want him to come across as the Balrog 2.0. He's inspired by the same mythological material as the Balrogs in Tolkien and, in the comics, he tends to be visually pretty similar. But again, not really a big deal. Here the sci-fi angle would actually be helpful, since you could then do Surtur partly as a mythological demon and partly as an alien of some kind.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So if they did do Surtur do you think they'd try to change him into something less humanoid, like the did with Galactus and Parllax (well Parallax isn't humanoid necessarily but I think you get my point)?

20. flemm

I doubt it, but you never know. Marvel studio's m.o. seems to be to stay closer to the comics, where Surtur has always been a gigantic, more or less humanoid fire demon.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011