Star Wars: The Old Republic anticipation thread.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chaos Descending, Jun 10, 2011.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah I know.. I didn't even end up cancelling it when I didn't play for quite some months. I'm attached to my characters though I know someday WoW will be all over and they will be gone forever. Presumably.

Thank you! I guess you have to be an EU baby to know half of those, I'll have to research them. Going to have fun reading up on them all and hopefully what classes they can play.

I tried Rift recently, :: big yawn :: I hope ToR is original AND rich with SW goodness.

2. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'll give a brief outline, so that you still have some reading to do on your own. ;)

Chiss: Originally introduced by Timothy Zahn in the Thrawn trilogy (Heir to the Empire; Dark Force Rising; The Last Command). Various Chiss then reappeared in Zahn's Hand of Thrawn duology (Specter of the Past, Vision of the Future), while a younger Thrawn appeared in Zahn's Outbound Flight. I believe there were a few appearances during the New Jedi Order series, then they played a major role in the Dark Nest trilogy. I'm actually disappointed the Chiss are in TOR, because Thrawn was originally introduced as one of the very few Chiss to have much contact with the galaxy beyond their own space (he was exiled for a pre-emptive military strike, illegal in Chiss society, and ended up joining Palpatine's Empire). The Chiss do, however, maintain a very ordered society that complements both this Sith Empire and Palpatine's Empire, so they do seem like natural allies from that perspective. Up until now, the EU portrayed them as very insular and mysterious to the rest of the galaxy; perhaps, though, events in this timeframe explain for that in the time periods around and after the movies.

Miraluka: The only Miraluka I'm all that familiar with was a companion in Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. Force-sensitive "near-human" (i.e., they look mostly human) species, none of whom who have physical eyes and therefore "see" through the Force.

Mirialan: Two Jedi during the Clone Wars - Luminara Undili and Barriss Offee - were of this species, but I don't think they've had much EU exposure beyond those two characters.

Rattataki: Never heard of it before TOR, so I'm pretty sure it's a new species for the game.

Sith Pureblood: Last remaining "pure" descendants of the original Sith species conquered millennia before TOR by Dark Jedi who had been exiled after losing a war with the Jedi Order. Those exiled Jedi styled themselves "Dark Lords of the Sith" after conquering Korriban, thus establishing the first Sith Order and the first Sith Empire.

Zabrak: Darth Maul is the best known example of a Zabrak. KOTOR2 included a Zabrak companion. This species is sometimes also called "Iridonian," due to being from a planet called Iridonia. Some Zabrak were also from Dathomir, and often were a subject species of dark side Force-users called Nightsisters.

Twi'lek are pretty ubiquitous in SW movies and EU alike, so you probably recognize that species.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Ventress is a Rattatak.

4. PsychoPere

Actually, The Clone Wars has Ventress as Dathomiri, originally from one of the Nightsister clans.

Edited to add: After doing some reading / refreshing of memory via Wookiepedia, it looks like Ventress was taken to Rattatak as an infant and raised there for many years, before being discovered by a Jedi, brought into the Jedi Order, and leaving several years later after her master was killed.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  5. teacake

Wow PsychoPere, thank you very much. I had actually read the Thrawn trilogy but quite some years ago so have forgotten the Chiss. I remember the Mirialan now from AOTC (and I think I have a Luminara action figure somewhere..).

As I recall my intention was to play a Smuggler and I see they come in human, Twi'lek and Mirialan form so I may well go with the latter. I'm sure there will be Twi'leks aplenty, LOL>

6. PsychoPere

Oh, yes, I imagine there will be many Twi'leks running around the galaxy in TOR - especially female ones.

If the only appearance of the Chiss that you've read is the Thrawn trilogy, it's understandable that you'd forget. Thrawn himself, after all, was the only Chiss to appear in that trilogy. The species didn't start getting fleshed out until Luke and Mara Jade's adventures in the Hand of Thrawn duology. I find them a pretty compelling species and I'd really like to get a more in-depth look into their society, but who knows if that will ever happen.

I'm thinking my first character will be an Imperial Agent, and - even though I've decried the inclusion of the species above - possibly as a Chiss. My second will, naturally, be a Jedi, though I haven't bothered giving any thought to a species yet. Plenty of time still, right?

7. teacake

So do you recommend the Thrawn duology? I'm afraid I don't recall much from the trilogy. That and a couple NJO's is all I've read in SW.

8. PsychoPere

I haven't read those two since they were first published, but my vague recollection is that I found them a worthy follow-up to the original Thrawn trilogy (which is one of the high points of the SW EU, even this many years after it was first published).

For a full list of SW EU works that I'd recommend, see this post. ;)

9. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  10. PsychoPere

^ No, it's not. It specifically identifies itself as the YouTube page for a TOR guild.

11. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

12. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I preordered the CE because I have more money than sense. Plus this game looks awesome!

13. CorporalClegg

The Huttball thing looks kind of silly. For sanctity's sake, it should be disallowed on RP servers.

14. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The Thrawn Trilogy was the only Star Wars or Star Trek novel to make it to NPR's ranking of Top Science Fiction and Fantasy novels.

15. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Hehe, I know someone that just got an invite to the beta weekend of a very highly anticipated game.

17. CorporalClegg

Guild Wars 2? :eek:

18. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes?!??!?!

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Well, only got about 12 hours of sleep since friday afternoon and played the game for all but about 2 of my waking hours. This game is worth the wait. Beautiful, like playing one of the books turned directly into an MMO.

20. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore