Starship Valiant

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Phantassm, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Phantassm

Phantassm Vice Admiral Admiral

Greetings all. Work continues on our very first Star Trek fan film entitled Starship Valiant. Please come by our official Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Starship-Valiant/151123951763551 and check out how far we have come and what we are doing to keep the project moving. We need trek fan support so give us a look and offer your thoughts and views.
    We have posted a test video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF39JU2eJhg and our first vignette is scheduled for filming at the end of the month and should be fully completed in November 2013 if all goes well.
    If you would like to know more about the series checkout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9jnb6vD8b4 as always thank you for your time and attention...
    - M. King.

2. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

looking forward to this, more original series action from the great sets.

3. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

Sooooooooooooooooo looking forward to more TOS type Trek. Thank you for all the hard work. If the know it alls at the network don't want to tell good stories that reflect on the issues of today, then someone else will.

Great Job, may the Great Bird of the Galaxy bless you!!!

:bolian::bolian:

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The set looks good. The audio is not good, however. I hope you'll be using better equipment for the actual shoot than the test.

5. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

Agreed. I'd recommend not shooting anything until your audio problems are resolved. There's no rush. If you can get perfect audio you will be far ahead of most fan productions.

6. Phantassm

Thanks for the comment Maurice but the audio will not sound like it does in the "test" clip. The actual film will feature much more clear and vibrant audio. Brady, (our director) was really just interested in doing a quick edit for the look of the film and had not setup any audio equipment. He was actually testing colors and matching them against the original TOS color schemes.

7. David.Blue

David.Blue Commander Red Shirt

8. Phantassm

Greetings all. Big updates on the Starship Valiant Face Book page. Please check us out-like us and give us your thoughts there as well as here. We will be filming our first vignette on 11.22.13-11.24.13. As always we appreciate your time,
    - Michael L. King.
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Starship-Valiant/151123951763551

9. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

The visuals are great. Glad to see the updates. Audio is key though, so don't slack there -- sound will always trump picture, as Maurice says, and bad sound can sink you.

Hope the November shoot is going well. Looking forward to the next vignette!

10. Phantassm

Thanks for the input. The video test was a visual/color test only and Brady didn't hook up for sound however he has assured me that the sound will be great. Shoot starts in 2 days...lots of work to get done in those two days! Thank you for your support!

11. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

What are the echo qualities of the set? Do you have sound blankets you can put on stands if necessary?

Looking back at the test, if this is the lighting scheme you're planning to use, you need to very carefully set your aperture, exposure, etc., because the test has very little dynamic range and reads very "flat". Be especially conscious about lighting dark skinned actors because with all the black on the set it's very easy to get too little contrast and the actors faces and hair gets lost. A 3/4 backlight can help pop them off the background.

Break a leg. :)

12. Phantassm

Thanks for the advice Maurice but our photographer would be better at answering your queries. We have finished filming on the bridge and will complete the entire shoot by the 20th of this month for a late January release. Check out the face book page for much more information. I was also privy to meet the cast and crew of Yorktown: A Time to Heal this weekend as they are filming as I type. Mr. Atkin is a stand-up guy. I really enjoyed meeting him.
    Click below for a picture of myself and Mr. Atkin.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...728.1073741845.151123951763551&type=1&theater