Orson Scott card's post-election rant

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by TalkieToaster, Nov 26, 2012.

1. TalkieToaster

TalkieToaster Lieutenant Red Shirt

2. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought Card's claim that Obama was suppressing documents that would prove his guilt was particularly funny.
    Card somehow already knows Obama is guilty (of something, although Card can't quite explain what Obama actually did.) Since Card doesn't need these magical documents to know the truth, plainly no one else does. Which makes all the blasts against the media letting Obama slide completely irrelevant.

Card regularly congratulates himself on his fairmindedness!:guffaw:

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It feels like it's getting worse every day. Am I crazy, or...are they?

4. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Yikes! I'd never read anything about his politics before.

5. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep. He's a crazy mo-fo alright.

6. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

He's just a nutjob begging for attention.

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

^He doesn't have to beg for attention. A built in fanbase will lavish on him all the attention that he needs.

Brain fever.

8. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah. Rabid SF fan here but won't buy anything by OSC.

9. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Is that why he posted the same thread twice? :D

10. OmahaStar

I meant OSC. I'm not familiar with the OP up there ... though since you mentioned it, I clicked on the "more posts" linky and you're right. He posted the exact same thread in TNZ. That's an automatic warning for spam, per the board rules.

11. The Engineer

The Engineer Commander

Orson Scott Card is a lunatic who wrote a ST script so shitty and opposed to Roddenberry's vision (whether you agree with it or not) that it had to be rewritten. The fact that it ended up as the best TOS episode after being taken out of that bloviating douches hands is icing on the cake.

12. Captrek

You're thinking of Harlan Ellison. Similar anger management issues, much better writer.

13. Draculasaurus

Draculasaurus Commander Red Shirt

I had no idea Card was such a kook.

This guy is a laugh riot!

14. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

No it isn't. A thread can exist in both TNZ and Misc without penalty, since TNZ is an "opt-in" forum.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Indeed. Card was born in 1951, hardly old enough to write a teleplay for an episode that aired in 1967.

And, whatever your feelings about Ellison's original teleplay, you're drinking the Roddenberry kool-aid if you think it's "shitty." It was a WGA award winner, after all.

16. The Engineer

The Engineer Commander

That's right. I always get those 2 dickbags confused.

I don't deny that the script was good, it just wasn't good for ST for the simple fact that it shat all over Roddenberry's vision. And no, I'm not a Roddenberry kool aid drinker, I think he was a monumental shitbag himself. But it would be like submitting a script, no matter how good it is, to nBSG where they break out into musical numbers from Glee. It doesn't work within the constraints of the show.

17. OmahaStar

Based on this post from Neroon, it was originally posted in SF, and was moved to TNZ by a mod. SF isn't opt-in.

Though, I do wonder why the OP would post it in SF, let it get moved to TNZ, and then a full week later, post the exact same thread in Misc. Wasn't one thread enough?

18. TalkieToaster

TalkieToaster Lieutenant Red Shirt

Sorry for the repost, but for some reason I can't access my original thread, so I thought it had been deleted. Originally it said that that thread was moved, but when I tried to access it I got a message saying I wasn't able to access the page (the same thing happened when I clicked on the Neroon post you just linked to). I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm sorry for the confusion.

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Roddenberry liked to claim that Ellison's teleplay marked a dramatic departure from the series format, but it just isn't true.

You can purchase the teleplay (along with Ellison's outlines and plenty of background interview) or just read about it here.

20. Captrek

Might you have closed yourself off from the TNZ group in your control panel? The thread is still [thread=194563]here[/thread] in the election sub-forum in TNZ.

I have read it, and I think it's excellent, but I agree with GR that his rewrite is a better fit for the series. In particular, I like the change from the drug dealer to an accidentally drugged McCoy, and I like the depiction of the Guardian in Roddenberry's version better than Ellison's. I gather that what upset Ellison the most is the ending:
    At the climactic moment in Ellison's version, Kirk freezes up, but fortunately Spock is able to intervene and prevent the fugitive officer from changing history.
    I don't presume to declare which version is artistically superior, but ultimately these characters are Roddenberry's creation, he was responsible for creating a coherent, consistent portrait of them across episodes from various authors, and I think it was perfectly appropriate for him to rewrite Ellison's ending to be more consistent with his own vision of the characters.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012