Big Finish Announces UNIT Audio Series Starring Kate Stewart

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by The Nth Doctor, Feb 9, 2015.

1. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

Hmm.. Intriguing comment there.. Any thoughts on a good show runner that would be a good choice to helm a "UNIT Defenders of the Earth" spinoff? I would vote against RTD tho.. Not the style I can see for the spinoff series.. Moffatt is tied up with WHO, so who would be a good choice instead?:confused:

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

He did make an off-hand comment indicating he might do audio dramas, but personally, I'll be surprised if he ever does.

Reading over that post, as well as thinking about these audios in general has helped me realize something. The modern series hasn't really established any recurring UNIT characters. Yes, there's Kate, but otherwise the most closest thing to a recurring character is Osgood, and she ain't returning to the show anytime soon. Then who's next, the officer from Turn Left and Planet of the Dead?

I suppose, depending on when these audios are supposed to take place, Osgood could very well be there, but otherwise there isn't really anyone aside from a variety one-timers to bring back.

Spin-offs were RTD's thing, I doubt BBC cares there aren't any being produced anymore, and Moffat certainly hasn't expressed an interest in doing any.

3. Taelon

Taelon Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'd be surprised if the fans let him after the kind of spoiled brat attitude he's displayed since he was allowed to play The Doctor.

4. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jesus, here we go again.

He was hired to do a job for nine months TEN YEARS AGO. He has no obligations to the series beyond that and anyone who thinks he does needs to get their head examined.

By the way how's this for an example of his "spoiled brat attitude"?

http://www.kasterborous.com/2015/02...-doctor-much-helped-whovian-wedding-proposal/

Plus "allowed" to play the Doctor? Yes, it was highly generous of them to allow one of the UK's most respected actors to take a role that had such luminaries as Paul Daniels and David Hasselhoff being bandied about as suitable names beforehand and help make it into a smash hit success as opposed to a punchline to endless jokes that it had been for decades.

5. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How substantiated is this?

6. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Captain Erisa Magambo. I liked her. "This... is to combat dehydration." :lol:

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

You beat me to it, including the wedding proposal video. I'm tired of people whining about this. Leave the guy alone.

I bet Big Finish and their fans as well as the listeners of BBC Radio beg to differ.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^What does that prove? Just because many people are interested in audio dramas, it doesn't disprove the assertion that lots aren't.

Nobody is saying that there is zero interest in them but I'd be surprised if sales for BF's work came anywhere near to the viewing figures for the TV show. Does this make the audio dramas worthless? Absolutely not. But compared to the popularity of the show, they're a minority interest.

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Excellent video. Proof that whatever went wrong during the first season's production to result in Eccleston's departure, he doesn't actively hate the show or its fans. Greater fandom really needs to learn this about him rather than getting hung up on the fact he didn't return for the 50th anniversary.

And just to clarify, when I said I'd be surprised if he did do audios, it was not meant as a slam against him, just that I don't really expect him to have much interest in doing them. I could be wrong, and hopefully I am. Not so long ago, not many would have expected Tom Baker to some day do audio dramas either.

10. DrFrankhamstien

DrFrankhamstien Lieutenant Red Shirt

Although I have no figures to quote, I suspect the sales figures for BF (although enough to sustain the multiple series' they make) barely scratch the number of Who fans out there. Which does rather suggest that audios only appeal to a limited number of fans. A TV series, however, would most likely appeal to a much larger number of viewers who watch TV Who.

11. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

I don't know, I am ASSUMING the comment is directed towards the price of audios versus DVDs??

12. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Now that BBC America is producing their own drama, I'm surprised that they haven't attempted to launch a Doctor Who spin-off. Perhaps they've never considered it.

13. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

Well, I've been a big fan since 1976 and I have no interest whatsoever in audio stories. I know around 25 people who are Who fans and not a single one has any interest in audio stories either (yes, I asked).
    Maybe it's just an American thing, but I think that's a decent size sample group.

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, just looking at board member activity of posters for TV Who and Audio Who, I can see at least a 10:1 ratio, and I wouldn't be surprised, if you extrapolated that out to All viewers and got as low as 100:1 Ratio.

I love the Audios, but, many (Even some I have tried to indoctrinate) just can't get into Audios, let alone seek them out on their own if they enjoyed one at one point.

15. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not worth it's own thread yet but BF have confirmed on their latest Podcast that "Kate Stewart is not the only character from the New Series we have licensed".

The question is does that mean they've Osgood (or god help us Lee Evans) for the UNIT series or do they mean something completely seperate? (I suspect the former.)

16. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

Do you know what I reckon? They've got the full license to do new series audios, but due to things like actor availability and pricing, they probably won't be doing a monthly series of full cast audios featuring the 10th and 11th Doctors. So it's more likely to be spin-off boxsets, of which the UNIT one is the first. So expect to see, I don't know, "Madame Vastra Investigates" or "Martha and Mickey do alien bounty hunting" or "Donna has adventures in temping".

17. Mr Soak

Mr Soak Commodore Commodore

I'd like Luke Smith and Mr Smith to be licensed, so the Sarah Jane Smith series can have some closure.

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^Rani vs The Rani?

19. Mr Soak

Mr Soak Commodore Commodore

And bring back Ronnie Corbert. The Three Ranis! :lol:

Though of course it would have to be Siobhan Redmond as the Time Lady.

20. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm hoping for the Misadventures of River Song and Captain Jack Harkness.