Looking for recommendations: Mermaids

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Dec 28, 2013.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

H2O, and the Ariel stuff in Once Upon A Time have gotten me in the mood for some more mermaid stuff, so I was wondering if you guys could recommend any mermaid books? I have done some looking, put I wasn't sure if any of the stuff I found was actually worth reading.

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Today I learned there's an entire subgenre of Mermaid fiction.

4. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

try the 80's movie Splash with Tom Hanks, Darryl Hannah, and John Candy. Not high art or anything, but it's not a bad way to spend a couple hours.

5. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

For a decent YA Mermaid book, with a male protagonist no less, you can go with The Vicious Deep, by Zoraida Córdova.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Going back a ways, there's also The Merman's Children by Poul Anderson.

7. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

There's also the quite good made-for-TV, HBO-produced She Creature, with Rufus Sewell and Carla Gugino. Think Alien circa 1900, with a sexy telepathic topless mermaid as the beastie. (Yep, a real nude mer-woman, no PG-13-enforcing breast-covering hair here.) The writing and acting is actually pretty strong for an homage to old drive-in B-movie horror flicks, and while I wish the third act had stuck more with the psychological horror of the first half, it's definitely worth a watch.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

You guys seem to be coming up with most of the same stuff I got in my searches. But, I do appreciate the help, so thank you.
    As for the recommendation of Splash, I've seen it several times and it is a great movie.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Here's a somewhat esoteric, borderline case: Night Tide (1961) with Dennis Hopper. It's a moody, atmospheric film about a troubled young woman who may or may not be a mermaid. It's similar in tone to the original CAT PEOPLE . . . .

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I looked that up on Wikipedia and it does sound interesting, and it's now in my Netflix queue. Thanks.
    As for books, right now I'm leaning towards the Watersong, Lost Voices, and Syrena Legacy series.

11. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral