Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

5 inch figures
    [​IMG]

2. Samurai8472

HQ pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those Sentai suits capture a lot of the Western notion of superheroes quite a bit, as in, I could easily imagine them in a Marvel or DC comic book. Other Sentai suits do the same thing, but not many, and not lately (imo). Pretty neat. I also love that the Black Bull ranger is physically the biggest (probably the strongest) of the group; I get annoyed every season when it turns out the Red Ranger can do everything the other Rangers can do and then some (Gokai Red, I love you, but I'm looking at you).

On the other side, though, those 5 inch movie figures look painfully generic, as if the paint job isn't finished. Also, Alpha's sombrero is different than the movie design (does it change in the movie? I guess we'll see).

4. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Seeing the crummy MMPR movie toys and then the awesome Kyuranger designs in the next post ist kinda funny. Or sad depending on the perspective.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like these Zords, they are a bit more vehicle like than just straight robotic animals, but are still recognizable as what they're supposed to be.

My biggest issue with the design is the eyes. They are just weird.

6. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Got this for our resident Power Rangers fan Aaron for Christmas. Pre-ordered it from Toys R Us and was delivered the other day. It's really nice in person.

[​IMG]

7. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always like sentai suits when it's not a simple leotard with a helmet. Kyoryuger, Gokaiger, Go-Onger, etc. This new one takes it a step further by having EVERYONE start off with a snazzy chest armor piece, akin to the power-up that most Reds (and many 6th rangers) get at some point in their show. It actually reminds me a lot of the Akibaranger suits, which I really liked.

[​IMG]

The mecha design is odd, but growing on me. They establish right off as well that the various "limbs" are interchangeable as arms and feet, which doesn't happen often in Sentai for some reason. Kinda combiner-Transformers in that sense.

And good Lord do those MMPR movie figures look terrible. Same sort of thing that made me pass on most action figures in the past couple years. Cheap, cheap design, sacrificing detail and poseability for cost and ease of manufacture.

Mark

8. Samurai8472

Zord poster

[​IMG]

Kemaiku likes this.
  9. JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The suits for Kyuranger are awesome! Also like the mechas.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, the final Dino Super Charge episode, their Christmas special, aired today. I'd expected it to be an out-of-continuity thing set in the pre-finale status quo, but it's actually set after the timeline change, with Keeper just happening to show up and bring the other time-displaced Rangers along for Christmas so he can give them the Energems again. It's still just another excuse to do a clip show, though, and there's no real exploration of the new timeline. Indeed, the Rangers' base is still inexplicably there, even though they never should've actually been Power Rangers in this timeline since Sledge was destroyed 65 million years before they were born. (Ditto with Santa Claus remembering their encounter last year, although he's Santa Claus so he probably has trans-temporal awareness.)

There was a preview for Ninja Steel at the end, our first look at the new season. It said "Coming in January."

11. Samurai8472

NinjaSteel preview

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

13. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Captain Captain

Interestingly enough, as terrible as that toy looks (and I hope Goldar isn't just a lump of gold like that in the movie), it appears that Goldar's form is based on the Megazord. They have virtually the same helmet, and the wings. Like Goldar has assumed this shape in mockery of the Rangers' weapon, or been copied from it somehow.

14. Christopher

Apparently Rita in this version is a fallen Green Ranger from the past. So it'd make sense for her monster to be a twisted reflection of Ranger tech.

15. Samurai8472

Power Rangers Ninja Steel Begins on January 21, 2017

First episode summaries

First official magazine scans of Kyuranger cameo in Zyouhger VS Ninninger

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They have titles too:

Red: Super Star ShishiRed
    Orange: Poison Star SasoriOrange
    Gold: Trick Star TenbinGold
    Silver: Silent Star HebitsukaiSilver
    Pink: Speed Star WashiPink
    Yellow: FoodmeiStar KajikiYellow
    Green: Shinobi Star ChameleonGreen
    Blue: Beast Star OkamiBlue
    Black: Ring Star OushiBlack

Red is a warrior born under the Leo constellation. He has an extreme level of good luck, and is good in a pinch.

Blue is a Beast Man (Jyujin) warrior who specializes in fighting wild opponents.

Green is a Ninja who has a plethora of ninja techniques. Seems to be an alien as she can change the color of her body to hide.

Black is a robot with amazing physical power.

Yellow is a chef who is better than anyone at cooking. Excels in blade attacks.

Orange is a warrior who uses his poison tail in his fighting techniques.

Gold is essentially a techno path. He is a mechanical life form.

Silver is a Hebitsukai alien and can stop people from moving. He fights in tandem with Gold.

Pink is a warrior adept at flying and speed. She's an Eagle-type Android.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  16. JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Those are awesome!

17. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

No plaid ranger? :whistle:;)

18. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the tenth ranger. ;)

Mark

19. Samurai8472

20. Christopher

In part, probably. But maybe also due to the fact that ShoutFactory has been releasing Super Sentai series on DVD for a couple of years now, so Americans are becoming more aware of the original franchise.