Weird things we do in our sleep

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by propita, Jan 31, 2013.

1. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, so lately I've noticed that I'm often sleeping on my back with my hands up at my ears, so that my elbows are sticking out.

Does that happen to anyone else and, if so, what is going on? A friend offered that maybe I prefer that position for breathing or heart purposes, since it changes everything about where and how my back is.

Also, I'm waking up in the middle of the night/early morning stretching. The good kind of stretching, not the over-done stretching that causes cramps. A couple of times a night now. I didn't see anything helpful online, most complain of severe pain.

I'm getting very strange in my old age. It's coming up time for my 50,000 mile checkup (I'll be 50 this July).

2. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I talk in my sleep, walk in my sleep, and shop online in my sleep.

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hell, I'm asleep right now.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Exhausted from all the mounting and finishing?

5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is very difficult to both mount and finish without getting tired, yes.

Seriously though, (as not to invoke propita's wrath for rending asunder her carefully assembled thread topic), I tend to wake up upside down with my legs up against, and hanging over, the couch. Also, I've been known to giggle in my sleep.

6. thestrangequark

I've just remembered: as a young child I had a weird tendency to wake up with my pajamas on inside out and backwards -- I was undressing at some point in my sleep and then redressing, badly. This went on from about age 4-7 or 8.

7. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i find i wake up with the sheet unhooked from underneath the mattress corners and in a crumpled heap under me leaving my legs and arms on the horrible feeling mattress material. every night. it's weird.

8. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

I often-times find myself waking up with my legs pulled towards my torso...

Probably because my cat has invaded the part of my bed where they usually have lots of space...

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Not when I sleep, but...

When I go to bed and am ready to actually sleep, as opposed to reading or some such, I can usually be out within a minute or two at most. The key part is that I have lie down on my stomach, head to one side on the pillow, arms straight at my side with my feet hanging just over the end of the mattress. Pretty much "planking" on the bed. It's the only way I can get to sleep at night. Odd thing is that naps during the day on the couch have no such requirement.

10. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

I tend to drool in my sleep. A friend of mine talks in theirs :lol:. One example: they were talking about what they wanted to fix for dinner the next day. Priceless! :p

11. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I hear the secrets that you keep when you're talking in your sleep. ;)

12. Naira

Naira Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I was little, I often slept on my back with one of my knees bended and the ancle of my other leg resting on that knee.

Go figure.

13. thestrangequark

My sister still sleeps like that. It's bizarre!

14. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

I sometimes become violent in my sleep, punching or kicking. Fortunately my SO has developed ways to protect herself from my somnambulant strikes while sleeping next to me. Also fortunately, the strikes aren’t all that hard—they can hurt but have never caused injury. They have become much less frequent in the last few years, but still happen from time to time.

15. thestrangequark

^My friend does that. She used to punch her boyfriend while they slept, and would wake up to the sound of him moaning. Poor guy. :(

16. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

There are many sleep disorders. I have sleep apnea but hardly ever use my CPAP. So lately I just sleep with a nasal strip over my nose. But I haven't done anything weird per se when i'm sleeping.

17. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lol! My parents wedding night was the first time either had shared a bed with anyone. So their wedding night--their very first night of wedded bliss--my dad rolled over in his sleep...and smacked my mom in the face!!

The next night, my mom rolled over in her sleep and smacked him back! She swears she was asleep. Uh huh....

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  18. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been told that I talk in my sleep, but in no recognizable language. According to my parents when I was young, it didn't sound like gibberish - it very definitely sounded like I was speaking in proper words and sentences.

The interesting thing about this is that it started happening before I started studying French and German - the only language I spoke at the time was English, and I didn't know anyone who spoke any other languages around me. Our next door neighbours at the time were Greek, but I have no memory of hearing them speak anything other than English.

19. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I had a friend like that. He was a 7th degree black belt in karate! I always felt sorry for his wife.
    I stopped having dreams several years ago... until my sleep apnea was diagnosed. After using the CPAP, I now dream vividly. I mean, I have those dreams where you wake up surprised to be in this world.

20. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I talk in my sleep, sometimes in Bengali. I also take all the covers if it's cold, push them all on the other person if it's warm, get frisky in my sleep, and occasionally push the other person out of bed.

Maybe it's good I'm sleeping alone!