Going Veggie

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Amaris, Jan 16, 2013.

1. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

You know what's really good in chili? V8. I hardly ever drink the stuff as I much prefer fresh juice, but it's excellent for cooking provided you cut way back on the salt.

Granted, chili is pretty much shunned around here as something "loudmouth Texans" eat. New Mexicans much prefer tortilla soup and/or green chile stew which is pretty much heaven in a bowl.

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I love meat and didn't think I could give it up, despite the awful cruelty involved in its production. Especially as I hate pulses and beans.

I eventually tried it for a bet. I ate some appalling garbage, but slowly started to find things I liked.

I've now been veggie for 28 years and enjoy a huge variety of veggie food and meat substitutes. And I can still get a great curry !

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Totally agree. I like to use the Hot & Spice V8 in my chili.

4. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Also Encona pepper sauce or Tabasco.

5. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I feel like it would be too watery?

6. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Not at all.

With the right proportions, it comes out about the same consistency as a really thick marinara which chili should be.

7. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Firstly, thank you to everyone who has wished me well. I appreciate it! :)

That looks delicious! I'll try that (sans seafood). Thanks, teacake. :D

There are some ingredients here I've never put in my chili (though that was meat chili). I'll definitely have to try this recipe, tsq. :D

It's perfectly okay with me. Healthy eating is the goal here!

Yes, V8's a good seasoning. I used the low sodium variety, myself. :D

It comes out fairly thick, actually. I tried it once on my meat chili, and it was pretty zippy. It wasn't as thick as my own chili recipe, though. I make the kind of chili you can hold upside down and it won't leave the pot. :D

8. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you're going vegetarian for health reasons, I sure hope you know what you're doing. If you're not completely committed or you don't have a specific diet planned out to satisfy all your body's nutritional needs you're going to end up horribly weak and sicker than you've ever been.

I've toyed with the idea of completely giving meat up, but I stick with meat for my health. You can live a healthy life as a vegetarian, but holy fuck is it going to be time-consuming and difficult. Personally, I'd say cutting down your meat consumption is a much better idea than completely giving it up if you want to improve your health, but to each their own.

9. Amaris

True, it requires a bit more care, but so far, I haven't been hungry, I've had more energy than I did even a week ago, and my blood sugar and blood pressure are still lowering at a steady pace. Plus, I have taken great care to memorize daily nutritional requirements, adjusting as necessary. I don't usually half-ass anything. ;)

10. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

When it comes to food, always use your whole ass!

11. Amaris

Damn straight!

12. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

^^I do so wish teh BBS would add a "like" smilie. Guess this will do :techman:

13. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

That's complete, total, utter nonsense. It is very easy to eat a complete and healthy vegetarian diet!

Oh HELLZ no. Your spoon should be able to stand on its own in a bowl of chili!

14. Amaris

Well, there's also Cincinnati style chili, which isn't very thick. We have that around here, and while I enjoy it, when I eat chili, I want chili, and I want it thick.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Is it true that there are dozens of places in Cincinnati to eat chili that are all like within a few blocks of each other? Ron White said so in his stand-up act and I wondered if it was true. :lol:

16. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Sloppy chili? Gack. :ack:

17. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. Back in the day, some popular book -- maybe it was Diet for a Small Planet -- made a huge deal out of the need to eat "complementary proteins", but that was disproven years ago.

Yup. Like my grandmother's coffee after she lived a few years in Turkey. ;)

18. Amaris

Yes. Hell, I live 25 miles outside of Cincinnati, in a town of less than 8,000, and we have two Cincinnati style chili restaurants within half a mile of each other.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Hmm. Interesting. I love chili, but I've never eaten it Cincinnati-style. When I visit GABP I will have to try some.

TZ: Your grandmother's coffee sounds like Raktajino! :klingon: :techman:

20. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

I'm sorta going veggie...well not quite, but I'm going for a easily made and healthy soup based diet due to health and finance reasons. Simply, I need to eat better and it won't hurt my wallet since I will be making a lot of my own food a lot more then I used to.

Last night I made a tomato soup that turned out delicious, plus I was so filling and I made so much that I had food for tonights dinner, and tomorrows lunch and dinner if I feel like it!

Also, no, I am not going to eat only soups but I'm gonna try and eat more soups for dinner to help my digestive system during the night. Not be so heavy on it.
    That sounds delicious! Though I might see if I (and this gonna sound like sacrilege) will remove the beans. Or at least not do as much of them. I know, I know, no chili without beans, but I'm not a huge fan. Luckily bro is so he might eat mine.

Also:
    Hellz to the yes, chili should be thick!