What is your least favourite TNG film

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Infern0, Jun 24, 2013.

?

Vote away

1. Generations

24 vote(s)
    18.9%
  2. First Contact

7 vote(s)
    5.5%
  3. Insurrection

37 vote(s)
    29.1%
  4. Nemesis

59 vote(s)
    46.5%
  1. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

I went with Nemisis because it's painfully boring

Inssurection is horribly written but being a big TNG fan I can still enjoy it as a somewhat fun romp

Generations has some great individual scenes but doesn't really work as a whole

Fist Contact is my favorite ST movie and one of my favorite movies period despite its faults (I've seen FC over a dozen times and still don't have any idea what the Borgs plan was in the beginning)

2. umichigan

umichigan Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Me too, Schmoo

3. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The trouble with all four of the TNG movies is they came out of Rick Berman's patented Script-o-Matic™. They hit the same beats and almost no thought seems to have gone into making them genuinely different to each other (First Contact probably comes closest). They're generically bland. There's no life in them, no soul. Not for nothing was somebody able to come up with the Star Trek TNG Movie Plot Generator (http://www.impossiblefunky.com/tngpg.html). ;)

You know, the Original Trek movies all at least felt unique, they felt like somebody had sat down and said "Okay, in this movie we're going to do X and move Y and make sure that Z happens". The TNG movies all feel like they had a format which they stuck to unwaveringly through all four instlaments. Rick Berman applied television production logic to the movie screen (you gotta churn out those sausages in time for the release date, no time to stop and think, just get them on that production line and start working on the next one!), whereas the TOS movie people seemed to approach each movie as a new challenge that was designed to push the franchise a little further. The TNG movies lacked ambition of any kind. They were simply a 'product'.

4. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's really hard to choose which one was the worst. All of them suck, but there are some good parts to be found.

I like Generations purely for nostalgic reasons, and because of fan service. Kirk and Picard in the same movie, no matter how contrived and poorly handled, is still conceptually cool. The music is great, too.

I like First Contact because it had the best directing of any of the movies, by a large margin. Action Picard sucks, though, and the idea of a borg queen is fucking stupid.

I like Insurrection because it featured a number of nice character moments, like Geordi seeing a rainbow (echoing back to the second episode of the series) and the fact that it contained a moral dilemma (even if they handled it poorly)... The movie looked cheap as fuck, though.

I like Nemesis because...... Because...... Wait, I don't like anything about Nemesis. Except the deleted scenes.... and Chateau Picard. At least it looked bigger budget than the cheap ass looking Insurrection.

I guess Nemesis is the worst.

5. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    Insurrection

a poorly thought-out premise and dilemma, a small-scale story not fit for a TNG feature, lame, embarrassing humor(shades of TFF) and it takes half the movie to really get going.

This was where the TNG movies went wrong. They squandered the momentum of FC on this, and the film series didn't recover.

I'll sum up the poorly thought-out nature of the story with this example:

how did a group of non-technological pacifists defeat and expel a group that embraced technology and used violence?

6. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    And little payoff for non-fans.

7. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I actually rather like them all; however, "Insurrection" is probably my least favourite. Still good, just not as good as the others.

8. Picard Alpha

Picard Alpha Commander Red Shirt

Oh my! I had way too much fun with this.

--------

The film opens with some credits that make the audience's eyes hurt.

After the credits, we see Picard pooping. This confuses the audience to no end.

Next, we cut to the Enterprise. Throughout the movie, the ship interiors are filmed too dark to see things clearly. On the Enterprise, we see the TNG crew. They are on a nearby planet raking leaves on an alien world to lend a helping hand to it's inhabitants. During this scene, Picard complains about his advanced age and all of the leaves they have to clean up.

There is an incoming hail, where Picard is instructed that Picard and the TNG crew must respond to a distress signal in a very distant sector of space. Strangely, Enterprise is the only ship in range...Thus, beginning their mission.

When they arrive at this mission, Data accidentally rips his pants.

This scene abruptly switches to a scene involving a sudden warp core failure in engineering. A rouge spark 'accidentally' falls into Geordi's hair. He ponders if it's sentient, and calls for Data to examine closer. This scene could have been very action-packed, but is very short, unfortunately. We never resolve whether the spark gained sentience.

Later on, Picard finally finds out that an evil alien named Tymar is purposely disabling ships warp cores using strange anomalies in space., and thus the plot of the film finally begins.

As the crew work toward resolving this plot, a member of the TNG crew talks to Q, though this person doesn't really help anything.

Then, Tymar, the film's obvious bad guy, is revealed. But Tymar is not REALLY that bad, because this villian didn't know his technology was harming nearby ships..

The crew then learns that the entire quadrant is in grave danger! They must come to the rescue!

While they are working on this rescue, Data sings 'Today by Smashing Pumpkins.' The audience groans.

A little later, Worf slips on a banana peel left by Data to feed Troi. This ticks off many Worf fans in the audience.

Later on, Troi, who had nothing else to do in the film, accidentally chokes to death on a peanut..

A little later, Riker shaves more than just his beard this time. The audience doesn't laugh, however.

Trying to resolve things, Picard and his Away Team beam down to the cornfields of a random town called Broken Bow, wherever that is.. Which looks almost cinematic, but not quite.

Crusher and Geordi do absolutely nothing for the duration of the film.

Then, for no reason, someone in the film says 'bitch!' The audience pretends this is cool and edgy.

Finally, the crew discovers that Tymar has a Binford 9000! This makes the situation very dangerous!

In reaction to this, one of the crewmembers says 'When it rains, it pours!' ...even though this makes no sense.

In their attempts to stop Tymar, Enterprise has a massive space battle, the borg show up briefly, oh yeah, throw in some Ferengi warships from season one too. Enterprise, now crippled crawls away to safety. This looks really cool... but doesn't stop Tymar.

Soon, Riker shoots at Geordi. But this doesn't help anything.

There is a final showdown in a nebula called the Belzarian rift. Almost defeated, Tymar, in a fit of rage, attempts to activate his Binford 9000! Time is running out, so Picard beams over and attempts to stop him.

Eventually, Picard violently and mercilessly kills Tymar by driving over him several thousand times with his Argo. Picard is almost killed in the process, but luckily bolian hairdresser Mot saves Picard at the last moment.

Later, Picard contemplates on what has happened. As a result of this mission, Picard has resolved his problems with all of the leaves they had to clean up earlier in the film. Picard then gives a speech about illegal lending practices aboard the Enterprise..

The TNG crew then beams back to the Enterprise, which warps off into space.

The TNG theme plays on the soundtrack.

9. umichigan

umichigan Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I don't understand anything about this post, but I still think it's funny as hell. :guffaw:

10. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Dangit, I missed the "least" part of "least favorite" in the thread title, and voted Generations!

I guess I'll throw my actual vote to Nemesis. Especially since XI essentially remade it, it's disposable and fatally short on fun.

11. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree on all points stated.:vulcan:

12. REDrake

REDrake Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Best link I've seen in quite a while.:techman:

My attempt:

13. d514

d514 Ensign Red Shirt

My least favorite is definitely Nemesis.

The TNG part of Generations feels like TNG season 8, which I like.
    First Contact has a lot of action and not much story but I like it anyway
    Insurrection really feels like a good (but not great) two part episode. Which isn't a bad thing. And I think all the movies are a lot better if you know the series. People who only watch the movies miss a lot of references and previous character development

But Nemesis... sigh. First of all they choose a director who only made two movies before. He is mainly an editor of action movies.
    If you watch his comments on the deleted scenes you see, why the movie is bad: "Yeah, the scene was OK but it had no action in it." There are many good deleted scenes which all should have been in the movie. There really should be an extended cut.
    What the movie's got is a lot of pointless action scenes: So they fly a shuttle to the planet, just to drive around in some kind of car? Strange. B4 was also a bad idea.

14. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Nemesis is easily the worst TNG, and indeed, worst Trek movie. I guess technically, it's put together well enough, but it just feels so incredibly dull, flat and moribund - in my book, the cardinal sin any film can perpetrate!

Even the other weaker entries in the series minimally have some level of energy and vitality to them. Just watch Nemesis back to back with the much (over)maligned Final Frontier. For all its faults, TFF has a terrific sense of fun, movement and liveliness to it.

15. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Tough call between Insurrection and Nemesis. I picked Insurrection because it just was plain boring, and this scene ruins the rest of the movie for me. I don't think I need to say anything else about Insurrection....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyyjCn1ML3k

This doesn't mean Nemesis was any better. In fact, it was a poor way to end TNG, and the TNG\DS9\VOY era on film. The very idea of Shinzon was insulting to me. An insane, dying clone of Picard usurping the entire Romulan Empire? Really? Then he wants to destroy Earth for no reason? Lame. They could have had pretty much had the same movie, but substituted Shinzon for Sela, and it would have been 10 times better. OK, Sela isn't my favorite Romulan, but at least it would have made more sense to have Sela as the villain. After Q, and with the Duras sisters dead, Sela is the closest thing Picard had to a "nemesis" in TNG. And with it being the last TNG film, would have been a re-union of sorts to have Denise Crosby.

Also, the idea of having B-4, without a single reference to Lore, was stupid.

You know what? Change my vote to Nemesis, Please!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  16. REDrake

REDrake Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I picked Generations. I truly hated the weak plot that they made to pass the flag from Kirk to Picard. It basically had no real substance in it. Not to mention making purists hate the movie because it contradicted an earlier episode, Relics, in TNG.
    The only redeeming quality was the destruction of Enterprise, as in my opinion, Galaxy class is the ugliest UFP ship around.

I also admit I only watched the second half of Insurection, so my vote might be a little biased.

17. Cardassian3279

Cardassian3279 Lieutenant Red Shirt

well for me i choose least favourite is inserrcution cos alot of talk and some time i like the sing by picard and worf to challenge to data on big ships. so I like nemesis cos a lot of adventure on the film.

Martyn

18. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. Insurrection is easily the worst of the four. And for me, the only "forgivable" thing about that movie is Jerry Goldsmith's excellent score. I'm still waiting for the extended CD to come out.

I don't understand all the hate Nemesis gets either. It washed away the bad, bad, taste that Insurrection left in my mouth, so in that regard, it was a success. The only real bad thing about that film was Data's stupid, pointless death that did nothing to advance the plot in any way. But otherwise, it was fine.

Plus, it ALSO had an excellent Jerry Goldsmith score, for which I am also waiting for the extended CD.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  19. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Funny, that was the only part of GENERATIONS I hated. That and the way they stupidly changed the lighting on the D sets. In my opinion, the Enterprise-E is the ugliest Starfleet ship around.

Oh well, to each their own, I guess.:bolian:

20. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Or they could have used Tomalak, also an nemesis of Picard