Will the Dominion be a complete non-factor in the JJ-Verse?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Infern0, Jun 24, 2013.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seriously. The Dominion probably have warships which dramatically dwarf a Super Star Destroyer.

2. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    My theory is that they just had more money for the models. ;)

3. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

Shhh you, and your pesky allowing of "real Life" to enter discussions!! :)

Next thing you know, you'll be saying the only reason the Klingons changed appearance in TMP is that they had a bigger make-up budget! ;)

4. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Two Constitutions held up better against the planet-eating doomsday machine than a JJ-fleet did against (what was essentially) a mining ship. I don't think that can be explained away with better graphics.

5. Solariabsg25

Ah, but it all still depends on plot.

The Nerada was also able to shrug off the explosion of the USS Kelvin whereas the Doomsday machine was destroyed by the explosion of the Constellation.

Also remember the Nerada is over a century ahead of even the JJ-tech starships tech-wise.

For an example from merely forty years tech difference:-

[​IMG]

Going a century back from then, the Tomcats would have been facing hot-air balloons.

6. The Wormhole

It works better if you compare civilian vs military, since Narada was a civilian ship. Would an oil rig from today thrown back to 1913 be able to take down any contemporary naval vessels? Even do any significant damage?

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I'm sure somebody will write a novel about the Dominion in the JJ-verse.

They're not really the same universe anyway. Two different imaginings of the same core idea are not required to match each others' continuity. Roddenberry and Abrams Trek are no more connected to each other than Burton and Nolan Batman.

8. The Wormhole

They'll have to wait until novels set in the Abramsverse are allowed.

9. Solariabsg25

But this still doesn't quite fit, as the on-screen evidence shows that, despite the Narada being a mere mining vessel, for whatever reason, she was armed to the teeth, with military-grade firepower.

The analogy would be "What if you outfitted a modern rig with Harpoon Missile launchers and sent it back to 1913?"

We really have to wonder WHY the Romulans felt it was necessary to arm the ship with what appears to be weaponry even more formidable than a Warbird?

In a strange twist, it could in fact be that Dominion attacks on the Romulan industrial base forced them to arm mining vessels out of all proportion for protection.

Then, the Narada going back in time, changes starship developement, meaning that when the Dominion actually do turn up on the scene, they may be less of a threat due to these very technological advances!

10. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

If you want the non-canon answer (and I'm sure many of you don't, so look away if tie-in comics make you puke), the Narada was so badass cause before going back in time but after Romulus blew up, it was upgraded by a Romulan military station with experimental tech.

11. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well give an oil tanker sonar, radar, rockets, torpedoes and what not and I think they'd do quite well against the dreadnaughts of the day... presuming they don't get in range of their armament anyways.

12. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, in the prime timeline, Tobin Dax was said to have met a certain Cardassian poet on Vulcan, which means we can assume the Federation had made contact with Cardassians (and the Trill, for that matter), by his lifetime (late 22nd/early 23rd century).

Well, they probably do, considering even the 24th century technology they were adapted from couldn't go that far that fast, but I was actually thinking about this:

Now having the Bajoran wormhole get discovered over a century earlier than in the prime timeline opens up a whole can of worms about the Prophets and Sisko supposedly being destined to discover it.

On the other hand, we know that BARZAN wormhole goes to the Gamma Quadrant (some of the time, anyway), so if you needed a plot device to allow the Abrams crew to run into some Jem'Hadar, that could work.

That being said, I don't really expect them to do anything with the Dominion, who were really only confined to DS9.

Sidenote; the Barzan wormhole could also work if you wanted to send them in the Delta Quadrant and have them run into the BORG instead! We already know they work well on the big screen and Kirk happens to be the only captain who's never run into them at some point. Hey, you never know...

Actually, the Vor'cha appears to be a contemporary of the Galaxy class.

Romulan ship lineage is a bit harder to figure out, since there's basically a hundred year gap between the OS-era Bird-of-Prey and the TNG-era Warbird. Since the movies never featured them in any significant capacity, can only speculate about the look, size, or strength of any late 23rd / early 24th century Romulan ships.

(Actually I thought the BOP we saw on "Enterprise" would've been a perfect transition between the BOP and the Warbird. The problem was it was about 150 years too soon).

I never questioned the premise of pretty much any ship owned and operated by a race as militaristic as the Romulans being armed to the teeth. (It's also possible Nero picked up some weapon upgrades for the Narada before going after Spock).

13. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

That doesn't necessarily follow, just because a Cardassian can travel to Vulcan, doesn't mean the Federation interacted with the Cardassia Union.

Guinan was on Earth in the late nineteenth century, but she wasn't there as a representative of her people to the local government, she was a anonymous tourist.

Dax was in Jackson, Mississippi around the year 2250, that doesn't mean the Federation had a clue who the Trill were for nearly another century.

After the Kelvin collided with the Narada, the Klingons were able to take the Narada's crew prisoners. The Narada couldn't fight the Klingons off, and it couldn't run away. It was dead in space and helpless.

Was it? The only armaments the Narada possessed were missiles, it had no beam weapons (iirc) and after following Spock away from Earth, the Narada ran out of missiles. At which point it was effectively disarmed. The drilling rig wasn't really a weapon.

The Narada had enough 24th century missiles to engage approximately 55 antique ships from a century before.

:)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  14. Solariabsg25

The Klingon sequences were cut from the movie, IMHO I suspect because it would have created more questions that it would have answered, i.e. even if the Klingons couldn't completely understand the tech, they'd have torn the Narada apart in the twenty years they had it in their possession searching for answers.

The Kelvin had a hard time dealing with the missiles, George Kirk was able to keep the missiles off the escaping shuttles, but not able to protect the ship at the same time. Enterprise appeared capable of holding her own during the second encounter, but was still overwhelmed at Vulcan, perhaps the fact that they were protecting the jelllyfish at a distance rather than targeting missiles directed at her made the difference? Or, it could simply be that by then they knew exactly what they were facing.

As to the Narada's limited missile load-out, perhaps it was simply intended as purely defensive? Try to take this ship, and we WILL end you!

But, as you pointed out, she seemed to have had limited ammunition. This would fit into the theory that she was designed to defend herself, not take part in long-term military actions.

After destroying a Klingon fleet, taking apart the Feds at Vulcan, and pounding the Enterprise, Nero simply didn't have the time to replicate restocks, using his last available salvo to try to take down Spock.

15. The Wormhole

Which was based on salvaged Borg technology, which eventually fully asserted control over the ship and went off to the Delta Quadrant on a spiritual quest to find V'Ger.

I prefer to leave those comics out of this, but I do agree with the idea that Nero obviously upgraded Narada from its mining ship origins. After all, he didn't intend to go back in time, that was an accident. If he intended to attack the 24th century Federation, he'd have to get past 24th century Starfleet and that would require something more impressive than a "simple mining vessel."

16. Belz...

Careful, now. The Narada was crippled by the explosion, and (in a deleted scene anyway) its crew was captured by Klingons. It was clearly unable to continue attacking the shuttles, in any case. The Doomsday Machine was destroyed by a much more powerful explosion, also.

Isn't that more like thirty ? ;)

17. Belz...

In the pretty-much-canon comic Countdown, which tells of that tale, we see the Narada being outfitted with reverse-engineered Borg tech. That's why it looks so awful, by the way.

18. Solariabsg25

Yeah, perhaps "survive" would have been a better term than "shrug off", with all those chunks flying off the Narada after the Kelvin blew! ;)

The Final Countdown was released in 1980, so 39 years after Pearl Harbour, but yeah the F14 Tomcat was introduced into service in 1974. Then again, I think the Zeros would have still been outmatched by the 1960's era Phantoms, so the tech imbalance could be drastic even after only about twenty years! :)

19. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I think it is most unlikely we will see the Dominion in the Abrams films

20. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Blowing.