Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I see what you mean, I went into mine again today just to see what they had and there wasn't an issue on sale. I asked the guy and he said they only get 2-3 issues in of it. And I looked in WHSmith but they didn't have it at all either.

I fancied getting the Equinox, so I've just ordered it from the Eaglemoss website (along with the Akira while I was there :) )
    So let's see how long they take to arrive...

How much are they normally in shops btw? On the site they were £9.99 each, with £1 for p&p

I remember the Fact Files were published by GE Fabbri... but investigating I see Eaglemoss merged with them in 2011

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

£9.99 for any issue I've gotten in Easons, £9.49 for FP website.

3. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

I received my replacement DS9.

One of the lower pylons wasn't attached.

A little superglue and we're good as new.

4. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Word of advice, NEVER order from their website. Always ring up and order over the phone. It'll take a month or two otherwise.

Three separate customer service reps have told me it's much much better to order through them than on their website.

5. Ethros

^ Oh well, too late now. I can wait I suppose.
    Must be a bit of a dodgy company, who rings up to order anything nowadays? Everything's online.

6. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Plus two quid postage and packing.

Not everyone and I sure as hell don't think a company is dodgy if they do orders over the phone, is kinda refreshing actually.

7. Kpnuts

8. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Yes it does. Definitely looks like the Bonchune-type CG version.

9. Kpnuts

Yeah definitely the nicer design! I love the Nebula. Back when the designers weren't afraid to try something different to the standard Enterprise-style hull geometry, ie. Nova, Prometheus, Dauntless that all look so similar in terms of basic shape.

Anyway given it's quite a comparatively short/wide design, the model should be quite large :) Unlike the Excelsior which looks tiny thanks to the elongated design.

10. Ethros

I do like the Nebula class, but to be fair isn't it really just the TNG version of a Miranda class? ie in terms of its basic design

11. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm hoping that they tried to get it 1:1 scaled to the Enterprise D model. Same sized saucers.

12. mtblillie

mtblillie Captain Captain

I was hoping it would be the original studio version, I kinda felt like the CGI designers got lazy and rearranged the Galaxy CGI ship rather than creating an accurate representation. In fact there were a ton of inaccuracies in the DS9 CGI models. To be fair, if Eaglemoss uses CGI models rather than studio, it makes sense to use the Bonchune variant, but they used the correct Defiant, so I thought maybe they would do the same here.

13. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

14. Eliczo

Eliczo Lieutenant Red Shirt

I subscribed til issue 13, ordered issues 14 & 15 seperately as I told myself I didn't want all the releases, then looking at the next 10 or so to come, there's only the Xindi ship I'm not keen on, everything else looks good. Hmm might subscribe again. Do kinda regret ordering the 2 online, as people have said here would have been better to order on the phone.

15. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I suppose that's true, as far as the under-slung nacelles are concerned, but the Miranda never had a secondary hull like the Nebula does. I suspect a more closely-tied analogy would be either the Akira or the Centaur (at least, as far as canonical vessels go), neither with secondary hulls, the former also possessing a weapons pod on a rollbar and the latter actually using a Miranda-style weapons pod and rollbar, doubling as connecting pylons.

16. Ethros

True, but I just meant in terms of they both have the same saucer section as the Enterprise at the time. And the same nacelles too, just underneath rather than sticking out of a drive section

17. Kpnuts

I've just watched Equinox and realised just how ugly, lazily and unimaginatively designed that ship is. Then thinking back to the Prometheus and Dauntless ships that are also lazy.

Personally I prefer ships like the Akira, Miranda, Nebula ships that have their own style rather than copies of the standard Enterprise geometry.

18. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

Using the "Nova-class" was a lazy move in the first place. The design was just created for the DS9 tech manual to be the systems testbed ship for the Defiant class. Somebody just went "hey, here's a ship we can use" and made it into the Nova class.

The Prometheus looks a lot like the first Intrepid class prototype model with its arrow-head like saucer. The Dauntless just seems like they tweeked the Prometheus primary hull mesh and tucked some nacelles underneath. One of my least favorite designs. Good thing it never truly existed.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  19. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

I was never really impressed with any of the Starfleet ships they made for Voyager, besides Voyager itself. And since they were so far from Federation space and seeing another Federation vessel was so rare, it should've been a big moment when one was finally shown, but those moments were really just...blah.

I will give them credit for making Equinox and Prometheus new classes instead of just rehashing Excelsior or Miranda for the umpteenth time.

20. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

The Nova-, Prometheus- and Dauntless-classes are among my all-time favourite starship designs. Beauty does lie and the eye of the beholder. :lol: