Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by sbk1234, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I don't know, but, you can try your On Demand Cabe for the first 5 episodes of s7, or buy them at Amazon instant watch or they will probably be repeated on BBCA the day the first new episode airs at the end of March

2. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is season 7 the furthest they've gone so far?

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doctor Who is currently in the middle of its seventh season. The first five episodes aired last September, and there was a Chirstmas special in December, and we're waiting for the remaining eight episodes to begin airing at the end of March.

4. sbk1234

Well then, I'm only about half a dozen episodes behind. It will really suck to have to wait to see them. I've gotten spoiled watching at least one new episode a day!

This reminds me what it was like with Star Trek back in the 70s.

5. Sindatur

Heh, yea, it sucks when you've got a backlog to run through at your own pace, and then you catch up, and have to wait like everyone else.

6. sbk1234

Well, I just discovered the first part of Series 7 on On Demand, so I have a few more to satisfy my appetite. Just finished Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. If nothing else, two Harry Potter alums, and the best title EVER!

7. Sindatur

If they've got the first part of S7, you should be able to get caught up. First episode of the second half of S7, The Bells of St. John, just aired last Saturday, so that's up on On Demand, and tomorrow the second episode The Rings of Akhaten is airing and should be up on On Demand Sunday morning

8. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I'd say if you're only interested in Matt Smith's era, watch the Eleventh Hour and onwards (Series 5,6,&7)

If you want to start from the beginning of the 2005 revival, watch Rose and onwards (Series 1,2,3,4,Specials,5,6,&7)

But if you want to start from the 05 revival, I would also recommend watching the 1996 movie staring Paul McGann, it does not really lead on to the 05 revival, but if you like the Eccleston and Tennant era's, I'd highly recommend watching this too as it's more like the new episodes than the classic ones, and despite what anyone may say, I jolly well loved it. It's not corny at all, it's great.

However if you want to start off from the classic series too, I'd begin to watch one serial from each of the original seven doctors (as well as the list I've given you above) to see what doctors you like and which you don't. Note that if you favour the McGann, Eccleston, and Tennant doctors, you'd most likely like McCoy (the 7th doctor) best out of the original's.

9. sbk1234

I've checked out a few of the classics, and I have to admit they are a bit of a challenge to watch. I haven't been able to find the movie yet. I don't think it's on Netflicks, which is my main source of Dr. Who.

10. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, especially the longer serials I find a challenge to watch. I remember the Invasion and the Silurian's I began to get fed up with. I prefer shorter ones with four or less episodes. Colin Bakers stuff is quite short.

As for the movie, yeah that's a tough one. First of all, are you American or British? If you're American, it's going to be hell to find. In Britain, the DVD's been out a long time, but in the US it's only just come out. If not on Netflix either, I'd try you tube.

It's well worth the watch, a firm favourite of mine.

11. sbk1234

I'm American. I've tried You tube and Netflix. It's not on either. :( I'll keep looking. I guess it's a good thing that there will always be some Dr. Who to look forward to.

12. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Actually the movie's been out on DVD for a few years now in the States. It's as easy to find as any of the other serials. Barnes N Noble usually has a huge selection of Who, but they're overpriced. Best bet is online.

13. sbk1234

Well, I finally caught up, thanks to On Demand. (Still have to see lots of stuff from before Rose.) Next Bonehead question: Maybe I missed something, but why is the Doctor obsessed with Clara. He seemed to be there when her parents were meeting, and again when she was a child. There was even that little short subject where he was missing "a friend" who seemingly is Clara. Of course, the little girl he's talking to on the swing turns out to be Clara as a child.
    So, what did I miss?

14. sbk1234

And is it bad that I've started weating bow ties? Is this normal for someone who has only been a Whovian since December?

15. Sindatur

She's a mystery. If you want to capture the Doctor's attention, put a mystery in front of him, and he can't resist

He "met" her in episode 7.01 in the Future (Asylum of the Daleks), and then she turned out to be a Dalek. Then he met her again in the past and put it together that she was the Dalek, when he heard Victoran Clara reciting some of Oswin/Souflee Girl's dialogue. Then after searching he found her on Modern day Earth, so, he checked up on her past, because he is suspicious that this is all too coincidental, and may be some kind of trap one o his enemies laid out for him.

16. sbk1234

I just found out there was a Christmas episode that I haven't been able to see. I suppose that could explain some of it.

17. Sindatur

Oh, I'm sorry about that, when you said you were all caught up, I thought you had also seen The Snowmen. Seems if on Demand has 7.01 - 7.05, they should also have The Christmas Special The Snowmen.

I Hope I didn't spoil too much, but, yea, The Snowmen gives you a better understanding of some stuff in 7.06 The Bells of St. John

18. sbk1234

No problem. Now I just have to trach down The Snowmen.

19. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Netflix can be choosy when it comes to Dr. Who. When I was catching up on Season 4. It went Season 4, Next Doctor, and then jumped to Season 5. With no indication that their were any kind of specials in between the end of four and the beginning of five. Fortunately I was able to track them down and see them, as it would be quite a jump to going from Ten being fine and dandy to all of a sudden having a new bloke as the Doctor :p

20. Sindatur

Oh, yea, Netflix, but, he's talking about On Demand. I assume this is Cable On Demand (Searchable menu on your Cable System of all the regular Programs that are aired), and my Comcast Cable calls theirs "On Demand"

BBCA aired 7.01 through 7.05 and The Snowmen right before The Bells of St. John, so, I figured they would be carrying all of them, if they were carrying any