NFL Football - 2008-09 Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    Wow, Cowboys wore their skirts to Philly to play what amounted to a playoff game.

Awesome.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  2. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I tuned in the Cowboys/Eagles game when it was Philly up 17-3. I have never seen a team implode the way Dallas has tonight. It's like they mailed it in at half time.

And Miami just picked off Favre for the third time, leading 24-17 with under 5 minutes to go. Nothing against the Jets, but I'm pulling for the Fins. What a story that'd be - form 1-15 to winning the AFC East title.

Think of it... three "who's that?" coaching hires for miserable teams last yer, with Smith at Atlanta, Sparano at miami and Harbaugh at Baltimore..... and all three of these teams will probably make the playoffs this season. :lol:

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great win from the Niners. Yeah they aren't going to the playoffs, but this season ended up a lot better than I thought. It's such a great thing too that Singletary has the job for next year. Looking forward to good things from this team in the future.

4. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

Ravens make the playoffs and the Pats don't! AHAHAHAHA. Ha. :guffaw:

5. Neroon

Has it been made offical that Singletary is the head coach next season? Any word on whether Martz will be staying on as offensive coordinator?

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Congrats to the Eagles for trouncing the paper tiger Cowboys. They manage to keep alive their "Cowboy Collapse" December streak that has existed the last few years. By winning they keep some scenario alive for their playoff chances right? Are all the cards on the table yet? Do we know if Philly is in or out? I've yet to hear.

Congrats Arizona, finish on a high note.

So the parody that is the NFL delivers unto Chad Pennington the payback that only it can.

Hate to think though that, hate 'em or love 'em, with an 11-5 record the Patriots do not go to the playoffs. Then you realize that either Denver or San Diego will make it with a win tonight and neither will have double digit wins.

7. tomalak301

Yeah it's been made official. It hasn't been official if Martz is coming back, but I hope the front office changes their minds and does bring back Martz. As much as I didn't like him earlier in the season, I really don't want to see another change in Coordinator. This team needs consistency.

8. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

No idea about Martz's status, but SFGate.com announced that the team will be keeping Singletary in what has to be the best bit of Bay Area football news in years.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/12/28/SP3N150A4U.DTL

9. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

All is right in the world with the most unlikely of scenarios actually coming true. The Oakland Raiders beat the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the Houston Texans defeat the Chicago Bears, and the Philadelphia Eagles crush the Dallas Cowboys (I know that Tony Romo chokes in December, but we almost beat them in Texas Stadium). Evil has been stopped and the Eagles make the playoffs by the narrowest of margins.

OK, I'm not entirely serious about all that (although the evil being stopped part is true ;) ). I am relieved, though.

Congrats to Joe Flacco and the Baltimore Ravens for making the playoffs and best of luck in the AFC. Also, congratulations to the Detroit Lions for their accomplishment of sorts.

10. Neroon

I am really glad to hear this, because Singletary was always my kind of player. Intense to the point of being almost frightening (remember how his eyes would bulge like that????), and he knows football. He's a class guy, the kind I'd love to see do well i such a cutthroat industry.

Ironically enough, the only team that the Dolphins beat last season is the same team they will play in the first round of hte playoffs: the Ravens. Right now, if I'm an AFC team... I am scared to death of playing Baltimore. Harbaugh has them on fire on both defense and offense... and they are playing as a real team.

11. tomalak301

Mike Singletary now has a 4 year contract, as just announced at his press conference. I honestly couldn't be more happier as a Niner fan than I am right now. They're not even going to the playoffs, but who cares. What a turnaround from how this season started to now.

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I don't know if Flacco has quite adjusted to everything in the NFL (he still makes some dumb mistakes that lead to costly turnovers), but he's also really talented. The Ravens won a Super Bowl from a Wild Card team once with just their defense. If their offense clicks, they'll be really dangerous.

13. pork3

pork3 Commander

Well said.

As to your last point, as a diehard PATS fan, it goes to show you how important winning divisional games are.
    The only upside of this season has been the emergence of Cassel as a starting QB. And with the recent bleak report from Tom Curran about the state of Brady's knee, that's a good thing...

Cheers, and kudos to the Dolphins. The Jets should NEVER have given up Pennington in favor of Favre.

-Jamman

14. Neroon

Fox just showed a clip form the Niners lockerroom after the game, when the .. I htink owner... came in and said "this is the last time our season ends in December. And I'd like to introduce our new head coach..." and the players were genuinely excited. That alone is a huge achievement for Singletary. that kind of reaction on the news that he's coming back. This team could make some real noise next season.

15. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

Woohoo! Neither the Patriots or Cowboys made it to the playoffs!

This postseason is going to be great. Alot of great games today.

Go Carolina and Miami!

16. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why would they switch offensive coordinators again? Alex Smith isn't the QB anymore. :p

17. Neroon

Nobody could ever mistake me for a Patriots fan, but whether they made the playoffs was immaterial. Even so, I think this season may have been Bellicheck's best as a coach, considering all of the injuries they sustained. For their sake though, I hope in the offseason they address some of those needs, because they are aging.

pork3, what is the latest report on Brady's knee? You're sounding pretty dire.

18. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    Cowboys season in gif format:

[​IMG]

19. Fedaykin

Fedaykin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. As a lifelong Giants fan through good times and Ray Handley times, that picture is better than sex to me. Well, no, Terrell Owens crying after the Giants beat the Cowboys in the Divisional Championship last year was. But it's all nice.

And for my wife, I have also been rooting for the Fish. What a story. I have seen vengeance, and his name is Chad.:evil:

20. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Rumor has it Martz wanted the head coaching position and might not be happy as an OC under Singletary. If that's the case, whether he sticks around in SF depends on whether another team will take him on as a head coach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.